What your phone app doesn't say: It's watching

Diab210

Reaction score
I honestly didn't think about this until I installed switftkey keyboard and it reminded me that it could be logging whatever I type and sending it to someone. Unfortunately there isn't really a way to tell what apps are unsafe then... unless you stick to things that are made by major companies - even that might not be a fail proof system. I don't think it is as big of a problem as that article makes it out to be however I bet it happens.

About the only thing I won't do on my phone is log into bank accounts. I was tempted to use that mint.com thing... but I wasn't entirely sure how that worked and would rather not have my money stolen.

That brings up an interesting side question... apps could be stealing your date and sending it to someone sure. What about custom ROMs? When I told a friend I was was rooting my phone he advised being cautious about what I was installing because installing a different firmware could potentially open up holes in the device's security. I don't know enough about it to really make any sort of determination. Although, I imagine ROM developers and rooters are a much more closely knit community than app developers... so if something was to pop up someone would probably bring it up.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score

yahwarrior

Reaction score
I don't know about the rest of you, but the idea of every picture and video I've taken with my phone being uploaded to god knows who isn't very appealing. That means all of the naughty videos you've made with your wife/girlfriend or whoever else have been uploaded to Google's servers.

K

killabyte

That serves as a good example of how easy it would be to throw a keylogger in some app and collect anything from facebook credentials to your social if you were silly enough to use it while on your phone. Sure this type of info could be gleaned from someone one way or another. I'm not trying to demonize our phones. People just need to learn to use better judgement is all I'm saying.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
That serves as a good example of how easy it would be to throw a keylogger in some app and collect anything from facebook credentials to your social if you were silly enough to use it while on your phone. Sure this type of info could be gleaned from someone one way or another. I'm not trying to demonize our phones. People just need to learn to use better judgement is all I'm saying.

A keylogger wouldn't be easy. Have you tried installing a different virtual keyboard?

iPirate

Reaction score
Ads send your GPS location so they can tailor the ad to your location.

Isn't lookout that fishy looking anti virus software?

plumcrazy

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
they can log my FB info all they want, its my credit card info that scares me.

warrior21

Reaction score
This is always going to be an issue and it is only going to get worse. Nothing is 100% secure, that includes your phone, computer, and even the grocery store or ATM you swipe your card at. I'm very careful about what info I put out there and I have still had to cancel my credit cards a few times due to acitivity that wasn't mine. Smartphones are just the newest way people will attempt to get your info, but I can't see it being any more of a threat than we already have.

Noobie

Reaction score
Yes i understand anyone who wants to can track you (gov. verizon etc..) but i think the theme seems to be that every game, widget, tool,etc. does more than just alert user to update. people should have the right to block contact list, emi number, myspace , facebook info if they desire and yes we can chose to not download and install the app if we see that we do not want to give it the permissions listed but many access it with out notifying user or giveing leveled permissions. (min., or full settings would be nice)whether harmless or not is not the issue. someone could harmlessly walk thru your house or apt. but would you want them to without your permission.

Noobie

Reaction score
how can this suggestion to limit private info (pics, passwords, phone serial # contact list, etc) be sent to googles development team. if enough people send e-mails they might included it in an update.