Smart Thieves

jkcerda

Reaction score
wonder how much big brother is involved.
What your phone app doesn't say: It's watching - Yahoo! News

What your phone app doesn't say: It's watching
LAS VEGAS – Your smart phone applications are watching you — much more closely than you might like.
Lookout Inc., a mobile-phone security firm, scanned nearly 300,000 free applications for Apple Inc.'s iPhone and phones built around Google Inc.'s Android software. It found that many of them secretly pull sensitive data off users' phones and ship them off to third parties without notification.
That's a major concern that has been bubbling up in privacy and security circles.
The data can include full details about users' contacts, their pictures, text messages and Internet and search histories. The third parties can include advertisers and companies that analyze data on users.
:icon_evil:
guessing I should not be that happy with my droid "X" :icon_evil:

TheCheeks

Reaction score
Well don't you 'agree' to those terms by installing it and letting them use your wifi/3G?

Is there any app like OSXs 'Little Snitch'? Something that can monitor all the calls home and block them?

OP
J

jkcerda

Reaction score
Well don't you 'agree' to those terms by installing it and letting them use your wifi/3G?

Is there any app like OSXs 'Little Snitch'? Something that can monitor all the calls home and block them?
I get you, whats sad is the amount of STOCK apps that do this, its not just 3rd party apps, I am getting tired of the endless google ads :icon_evil:

FireDroid

Reaction score
UHHHHH It's a GOOGLE android phone??? They are free apps and probably make up for it in advertising.

OP
J

jkcerda

Reaction score
UHHHHH It's a GOOGLE android phone??? They are free apps and probably make up for it in advertising.
yeap, nothing like forcing the advertisement on you on something YOU paid for.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
They can toss in more Ads if they wanna give away free phones :)

OP
J

jkcerda

Reaction score
They can toss in more Ads if they wanna give away free phones :)
hence the rub, we still go stuck with a 200 bill just for the phone and we cant remove the applications that feed the endles adds:icon_evil:

ChugIt

Reaction score
I know that some apps do background things I wish they wouldn't, but being rooted at least I don't have to see ads. The fact is though, it is a google product so they are going to use that forum to advertise for free. One thing that I always hated though was seeing AT&T ads on my Droid. You'd think VZW would have had some kind of a deal to block those from their customers somehow.