What should I upgrade to?

DaDroidDude

Reaction score
Hi all.
I have a D1 that is rooted and running Chevy SS 5.6.
My upgrade date with Verizon is December 2.

Just wondering what opinions there are out there about what I should upgrade to; assuming that price is no option, though cheaper is better.
I think the most expensive Droid that I've seen would cost me $250 ish.
Would I lose a lot by spending less?

Thanks, in advance.
B

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
December 2 is a long ways from now buddy.

Off the top of my head, devices that should be out by then that spark my interestl; Razr, Vigor/Rezound, Nexus.

In terms of losing features by spending less, you may lose an exclusive feature or two such as Beaming (Nexus). The Droids available and coming out all have basically the same features so you wouldn't be losing much, it all just depends on what you're looking for in a device. Do you want a large screen? Do you want a physical keyboard? Is speed a huge factor (though all future phones should be fairly fast, especially compared to your D1)?

I personally am planning to upgrade to the Nexus as soon as it's available for pre-orders. ICS has me very intrigued and I want it...like NOW. The Razr and Bionic are said to get ICS, but when that happens is still unknown, though rumors say early 2012 for the Razr at least. ICS is the future OS of Android and I figure might as well start with the first device with it.

OP
D

DaDroidDude

Reaction score
Yeah, a larger screen would be better.
Hard keyboard not so much.
Fast would be better.
How much faster is 4G than 3G?
When you say ICS, do you mean internet connection sharing?
Is that like using the Phone as a hotspot?
How secure is that?

B

googlelover

Reaction score
Yeah, a larger screen would be better.
Hard keyboard not so much.
Fast would be better.
How much faster is 4G than 3G?
When you say ICS, do you mean internet connection sharing?
Is that like using the Phone as a hotspot?
How secure is that?

B
4G on verizon can be anywhere from 5-30x faster then 3G (depending on speed of 3G and 4G of the area of course)
When he says ICS he is referring to Ice Cream Sandwich, which is the newest OS for Android phones.
All phones now have the hotspot feature as an extra plan, and it is very secure. you can set a WPA2 password AFAIK.
And if your looking for a larger screen with speed and 4G, then the Nexus is what you want, but its going to cost anywhere from 200-300.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Thanks for answering those googlelover. Pretty much hit the nail on every concern

Any newer phone coming out will be significantly faster than your D1. If you want a real pickup in speed on data, grab a 4g phone, 4g speeds are crazy fast.

As for the price of the Nexus, I wouldn't be surprised to see it listed at $299 to keep it competitive with the other top-of-the-line models on Verizon. Heck it might be even more considering it won't be a Droid and it will have ICS, but who knows. Only time will tell and it couldn't be going any slower right now.