Should i get DX2 or wait?

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Phones are really changing in the next few months with dual cores and LTE.

Why use an upgrade on a DX2 when you can get a dual core LTE in a month or two. The DX2 can't do anything your DX1 or even OG can't do.

The most improvement you'll see is with LTE and you upgrade now, your city will definitely have LTE coverage before your next upgrade occurs. Mine already has great LTE coverage and I live in a medium sized city in North Carolina.

The question is when will his city see LTE? Why bother with an upgrade to 4G and deal with the horrible battery life that plagues LTE devices right now if he wont have LTE access for another 1.5 to 2 years? Let say it will be another 1.5 to 2 years before he gets LTE access in his area. By the time he gets another upgrade, dual cores should be widely supported where as right now android itself may support dual cores, but most apps really dont.Plus 4G devices will be more common and by then we will see much better improvements to battery life for LTE devices.

I don't feel your argument is very valid.

I explained myself that he would most likely see LTE coverage before his next upgrade was available, preventing him from taking advantage of it when it does occur.

I don't think you understand dual cores, app's don't have to utilize them, because dual cores will still result in better performance whether apps utilize dual cores or not. The programs and the OS that utilizes the 2nd core will leave the first core available to apps, therefore improving performance.

Now we can discuss how much of an improvement, but there will be an improvement, this is not an assumption, but a fact known from PC tech history. The less optimized programs stay on the single core, while the more optimized programs and the OS in particular will be capable of utilizing both cores.

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
I don't feel your argument is very valid.

I explained myself that he would most likely see LTE coverage before his next upgrade was available, preventing him from taking advantage of it when it does occur.

I don't think you understand dual cores, app's don't have to utilize them, because dual cores will still result in better performance whether apps utilize dual cores or not. The programs and the OS that utilizes the 2nd core will leave the first core available to apps, therefore improving performance.

Now we can discuss how much of an improvement, but there will be an improvement, this is not an assumption, but a fact known from PC tech history. The less optimized programs stay on the single core, while the more optimized programs and the OS in particular will be capable of utilizing both cores.
Well I dont find your argument very valid either so I guess we are even.

LTE/4G - Like I said, when will he see LTE? You really have no idea. If he only sees 4G 3 months before his next upgrade, why deal with horrible battery life for the next 18 months, for example, when your only going to get 6 months or less of usage of 4G on the device. By the time the upgrade comes you can get a 4G device with battery life on par with the 3G phones of today? It is not a given he will even see 4G before his next upgrade for sure.

Dual cores- Like I said Android itself supports dual cores, so obviously I understand Android itself is going to see an improvement, but you your self sited the history of the PC market adapting to multi-core CPUs. It took about 2 years for the PC Market to adjust to dual core CPUs and by the time the majority of the application market had adapted we were seeing quad core launched. When Quads launched we had to wait another 2 years roughly for mass-adaption.

So I think my argument is quite valid really. Dual cores are going to take time see mass-adaption. LTE is a different story to be fair, because when LTE is turned on, its on and you automatically see a huge difference in speeds network wise, but it is a question of when will it be turned on?