What Settings = Greatest Battery Life?

gloveman

Reaction score
Didn't see a thread like this so I thought I would try and get some ideas.

What settings are you using?
Are you in a 3G or 4G area?

I live in 3G area (no 4G yet), so I don't have to worry about the phone switching back and forth. I currently have my phone set to CDMA only, WIFI off, Bluetooth off, All Location Services (GPS ect) off, NFC off, Beam off. Having decent luck, but want to hear some others opinions. Haven't really had a chance to put the phone to a good test yet with these settings.

proangler

Reaction score
I leave 4 g on. Use 2× battery getting over 20 he's with average use.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Vanitas

Reaction score
I leave 4 g on. Use 2× battery getting over 20 he's with average use.

This... my up time without charge is about 26 hours

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

OP
G

gloveman

Reaction score
This... my up time without charge is about 26 hours

Saying "I leave 4G on" tells us nothing about what settings you have on your phone. I'm guessing stock settings, just the way it came out of the box? I was hoping for a bit more detail than "I leave 4G on" and I have "extended battery".

Has anybody altered their settings with any luck? (stock battery) I'm just wondering if there is something different I could try to get a bit more battery life. Maybe the settings I have chosen are going to be helpful, I just haven't given them a chance.

Vanitas

Reaction score
We said what to use... I do not have an extended battery. Download the app 2x battery and you will notice a huge difference in up time.

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I turn android beam off.

Sync corporate account never..just refresh when I open

No vibrate while typing.

3g when there is no need for 4g

Auto brightness

Turn off wifi and GPS when not in use.

I rooted and put governor on on demand since interactive is default. Screen off profile 700 Max 350 min. Governor doesn't seem to make much a difference. Gonna run without setcpu for a while to see what the difference is.

Pretty much getting around 12-14 hrs light use. Probably lucky to get 8 with heavy use.

I actually traded my first nex in for a new one. Just rooted and have to give a few days to see on this phone. My previous one had gone to 4.5 hours from 100 down to 38 percent... was getting hot too...so hopefully that was just an issue with that phone

Was that more of what you're looking for?

OP
G

gloveman

Reaction score
We said what to use... I do not have an extended battery. Download the app 2x battery and you will notice a huge difference in up time.

Oh gotchya. When u said 2x I just assumed extended battery, didn't know about the app. I'll check it out.

OP
G

gloveman

Reaction score
I turn android beam off.

Sync corporate account never..just refresh when I open

No vibrate while typing.

3g when there is no need for 4g

Auto brightness

Turn off wifi and GPS when not in use.

I rooted and put governor on on demand since interactive is default. Screen off profile 700 Max 350 min. Governor doesn't seem to make much a difference. Gonna run without setcpu for a while to see what the difference is.

Pretty much getting around 12-14 hrs light use. Probably lucky to get 8 with heavy use.

I actually traded my first nex in for a new one. Just rooted and have to give a few days to see on this phone. My previous one had gone to 4.5 hours from 100 down to 38 percent... was getting hot too...so hopefully that was just an issue with that phone

Was that more of what you're looking for?

Yes, these kinds of things are the things I was hoping would be mentioned. Thanks. I suppose any little tweak will help.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Here's a list I for the Bionic, but I think a lot of it will apply to the GNex. One note is to keep in mind where this list mentions Factory Data Resets that on our phones this totally wipes the sdcard!! Be sure to have all your media and personal files backed up to your pc or such.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are having short battery life here’s a list of things that can help. Just read through the list and select the items that fit with the way you want to use your phone. Not all items will work for everyone and this list was written for the Droid Bionic but should work for your phone too:

- Don't use an automatic task killer--not even the one that comes with the phone. Reboot your phone and look at what's running. If anything that you've installed is running and there's no reason for it, then uninstall it and find an alternative that behaves. Ignore any stock apps that run on boot as I've found them to be more or less benign.

- Weather widgets, live wallpapers, news/social feeds, any app or service that you use that runs--do without it if you can. If you can’t do without it, lengthen it’s refresh time.

- Don't use antivirus

- Set your WIFI sleep policy to never. The default is "turn off when screen turns off". This will cause the wifi to reconnect every time you open the phone. From any Home Screen select Menu/Settings/Wireless & Networks/ and then use the Menu button to see some new options - select Advanced. Then select Wifi Sleep Policy and set it to Never. Home key to return to Home Screen.

- If you have access to wifi, leave it toggled on as it is more efficient than 3G. Wifi consumes less battery power than 3G.

- I leave GPS toggled on too by the way. Apps use it as needed. When I'm done with Maps or an app that uses it, I'm sure to return to the home screen so GPS can stop. Under wireless settings turn on "Google location services" so that an app is able to use network resources to get your location instead of GPS. I have "VZW location services" turned off--don't know why that option is even there. By the way, I increase the speed of voice output > text to speech > speech rate because I like the directions to get spit out faster. That saves a bit of battery. Turning off the display and just listening for directions help. Also, often I just get the directions and then exit back to the home screen: GPS uses so much battery I try to get it over with ASAP.

- When you get a 1) new battery, 2) do a factory reset, or 3) an OS upgrade - run your battery all the way down until the phone shuts off and then charge the battery all the way up. This will calibrate the phone's understanding of the battery's capacity. Do this once every month or two also, but don't do it too often if you can help it.

- Set screen brightness to "Automatic"

- Under Accounts, click on any account listed and turn off sync for any items that you're not interested in syncing. For example, Google Books if you don't use it. Don't use Backup Assistant--I prefer syncing my contacts with Google. You don't need both. Also go into your contacts > menu > display options > backup assistant > UNCHECK. Also do contacts > menu > more > settings > contact storage > and select your Google account and "remember this choice"

- Turn on Bluetooth only when you are going to use it.

-Turn off haptic feedback, animations, and any un-needed sounds in Android settings and in your apps

- Set your screen timeout to as low a time as you can stand (I use 1 minute) and manually turn the screen off when you’ve finished using the phone.

- Keyboard: turn off vibrate on key press and sounds for any keyboards you use

- Use a red or black screen background. On the original Droid screen--not sure about this Bionic screen--red was the most efficient color that could be displayed. There is an app "No Wallpaper" that will set your wallpaper to None. The screen will be a very, very crisp b

- Camera app: I like keeping location on and flash on auto. Consider turning location off or at least returning to the home screen ASAP when using camera if location for camera is on.

- In stock browser the default home page is Google and it uses your location. This is a bad idea as it can waste your battery for no reason. Make something else your home page and make sure to close any web page that uses your location when you're done viewing it.

- Charge your phone via the wall charger instead of computer USB as it is faster. Also, don't use long USB cords--use regular power extension cords instead. I stick with the charger that came with the phone. Put the phone on charger when you go to bed every night.

- Consider install the Home Replacement app Zeam. It is basic app that uses very few resources and will help with battery power.

- Emails: I don't know what email app you use, but try this. It saves battery power and in some cases emails arrive quicker. This scheme will have you using only the Gmail app on the phone for all email accounts whether they are pop3 accounts or Gmail. Using Gmail as your own personal push mail server

- If you are using Live Wall Papers, consider doing otherwise.

If battery life is still bad: Consider doing a factory reset: These have gotten pretty painless lately by following these simple steps: 1. Make sure Backup and Restore are checked in the Privacy setting. 2. When going through the setup after the reset, turn on wifi as soon as you can (assuming it is available). 3. After you have entered your Gmail account info, you will be presented with a screen that has two check boxes. Basically they are "Do you want Google to backup and restore this phone”. Make sure you check both of those. Your apps will then automatically reinstall (paid and free). Set the phone aside for a minute or two and let the apps download and install. 3. If rooted, use an app such as titanium backup to restore data only to select apps such as Tapatalk and you will not have to re-enter all your login information. I do this for 3-4 apps (Tapatalk, SPB Shell, etc.).

I've been flashing new roms/updates about once per day lately and I can be up and running with all my apps and settings back in place in less than 20 minutes. It's pretty painless now.

PhiQuanTu

Reaction score
Ok, all of you should go back to the RAZR (and I mean the original RAZR) phone instead. I mean....what's the point of rushing to the Verizon stores to be one of the first to have this phone, just to off all of its cool features after powering On? NFC, bluetooth, GPS, 4G (wtf???), wifi, etc. Dude, you should have gotten yourself a basic flip phone, and shouldn't even be in here if you thought joining the Nexus bandwagon would make you "cool".

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ok, all of you should go back to the RAZR (and I mean the original RAZR) phone instead. I mean....what's the point of rushing to the Verizon stores to be one of the first to have this phone, just to off all of its cool features after powering On? NFC, bluetooth, GPS, 4G (wtf???), wifi, etc. Dude, you should have gotten yourself a basic flip phone, and shouldn't even be in here if you thought joining the Nexus bandwagon would make you "cool".

It's a matter of priorities. You have yours and others have theirs. Pick what's important to you and let others pick theirs.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk