What is with the constant influx of -isms apps

M

Matth3w

I want to punch kittens sorting through all the BS of the Market sometimes. Fart apps, sound boards, stupid -isms apps, metro stop apps for every single city in the world, you name it.

How does the best and probably most intuitive search engine in the world run the ****tiest search for apps on it's Market with absolutely zero filters?

/rant :mad:

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well originally they needed quantity for marketing purposes (i.e. they needed to quickly build a 'competitive' app market to allow). That having been achieved I'll agree they REALLY need to get control of the market in SEVERAL ways... Their current lack of features combined with NO control of the market (i.e. no screening, certification or approval process) allow every idiot with the most basic skill to release useless apps....

I've said it MANY times before; Google MUST get control of their market or it will be a hindrance to Androids mass appeal and adoption.

And contrary to those that will argue the "open market" BS... the "open platform" that Google has adopted simply means that people have the ability to use the tools (more specifically the code) to create apps NOT that Google has to allow every nitwit with basic skills to post their BS apps on the market.

Last edited:
OP
M

Matth3w

Well I don't think it's feasible for google to test every app, they at the very least need to be able to filter out the bull**** if one so desires. Perhaps there is someone out there that downloads Priorisms and Momisms and Dadisms so they should have the right to search for and find those apps. But for those of us that never want to see another one of those retarded apps, we should be able to filter it out. I rarely go to the Market specifically for this reason.

R1Lover

Reaction score
I agree, the market is flooded with scam apps and bull**** that needs to go if it does nothing... there are people paying 4 bucks for a shortcut to a website lol

OP
M

Matth3w

There is one app that I came across called test, and the description was "ignore this, it's worthless and just for testing the market"

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well I don't think it's feasible for google to test every app, they at the very least need to be able to filter out the bull**** if one so desires.

It's feasible (Apple does it and they do it to a MUCH higher/tighter degree than Google would, or should) they have just refused to do it yet. I hope it's because they are waiting for the app count to grow to a point where when/if they do they'll still have a decent/respectable number of apps (if they did it now they would would likely loose 90% off their apps, so they would only have ~1k... not really a marketable number).

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
There is one app that I came across called test, and the description was "ignore this, it's worthless and just for testing the market"

More than likely that was a place holder....

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
An app to get apps is needed maybe. There are websites that display all the available apps so I'd think someone could make an app that let you define your own filter list. One that banned any app with the word fart it its description. Then if you found an app you wanted the link to it in the app store could be displayed and you'd be on the download/buy page. You could sort by range of dates so as to only search new releases, sort by types (if such metadata exists), and keyword.

Sleeve

Reaction score
I've stopped using Just In as of about three weeks ago. Mainly because devs bulk load a lot of app revisions and Just In is also full of the crap that hasn't been rated down yet. Secondarily because I'm running out of memory to try every amusing app I see anymore so I let other people try them, star them, and cause them to rise to the top of the Top lists which is where I do my app shopping now. If you avoid the Just In lists, you can easily filter out a lot of bootsauce.

OP
M

Matth3w

I just wanted to mention I'm sick of the Twitter apps as well. Seriously, everyone and their mother seems to have created a Twitter app.

UGH...must...have...filters

BzB

Reaction score
the only thing i use the market app for now is checking for updates on my installed apps. other than that i don't use the market unless there's an interesting app that was recommended from here. :)

i agree though, the market needs a whole lot of work.

clucernoni

Reaction score
Being able to filter my stars/topic/location would fix all of this. Personally I like that there is very little control on the market. Public comments is the first thing I read when considering an app...so all of the bad apps go to the bottom if I would filter by stars.

I think it's a slippery slope for Google to approve apps. Look at Apple's App store...they "reject" apps simply because they are working on similar software and don't want competition. Who sets the limit on the approval process? One person's trash is another mans treasure...I think if they just added the filters people would find what they need and the bad ones would sink to the bottom.