What is the correct charging cord?

belome

Reaction score
As others have noticed, the D2 does some pretty wierd stuff when its plugged into a power cord that isn't the original. I have an LG Env2 charger that fits fine and will charge the phone fine, but if I try to use the touchscreen while its plugged into it, it just freaks out.

So, I decided to go Verizons site and order more oem power cords and I see the cords they have listed are 'generic' cords that fits many different models of phones.

How can I be sure these are correct? Is there a way to buy the original cords? Am I overthinking the issue? I'd hate to buy a few from Verizon online only to find out I have problems with them.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Try shopping at HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!. They will have the exact cable you are looking for and they have on line help to direct you to the correct spot.

Just tell them you want a charger for a Droid. The Motorola Droid uses the same charger as a D2.

I think this is what you're looking for. Power cord could also mean you're looking for the usb adapter cord. So long as it's the right size that shouldn't make any difference what one you use.

spdivr1122

Reaction score
On my d1 the env2 charger cable and env touch charging cable worked fine, but when I went to use a kyoceea charger the touch screen would freak out and say it was charging but when I would unplug it It would show no charge. Idk why this happens

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

metroplex

Reaction score
It's micro USB B. I used my LG Rumor2 charger and it works fine. I've seen micro USB chargers sold in stores that were marked for certain models. For instance, one particular BB micro-USB charger wasn't marked for Motorola Droid, but another micro-USB charger was marked for the Droid.

I don't like how they're being wishy washy with the micro USB standard, and how they're superseding Mini USB as the standard. Mini USB has worked well for years and everything has practically caught up with mini USB being standard (GPS, cell phones, etc...) and now they're pushing us to use micro USB which feels very flimsy.

OP
B

belome

Reaction score
I want a cord I can plug into the wall and charge my D2 without the touchscreen freaking out. I really don't care if it has the USB capabilities, i just don't want it to be like the Env2 cord and freak my phone out.

One of my worries is that this generic cords also fit the Env2.

Set Your Location

metroplex

Reaction score
To be honest, I think my Droid2 freaked out when I used the standard charger - it was only once.

OP
B

belome

Reaction score
I'm unable to use swype when mine is attached to the LG cord.

I just looked and the LG cord says 5.1v and .7A

Anybody know what the OEM one says on it for output? Mine is at home.

dast

Reaction score
My OEM adaptor is rated 850mA / 5.1V. The writing on it is very small, but it looks like the part number is SPN5504A.

A quick check of froogle.google returns a bunch of places you can get one.

spn5504a - Google Product Search

If in doubt, try going to a local Verizon store, buy an adapter there that fits, and bring it back for a refund if it makes your touchscreen freak out. I'm sure they'll understand when you do a quick demonstration.

Last edited:
OP
B

belome

Reaction score
Dast... you are the man. I just bought 3 off ebay for 26 bucks shipped.

SID KELLY

Reaction score
I've used my Blackberry 110v cord on my DInc and now on my D2---and even used the Blackberry 12v car charger cord and seen no problems-----(all the mini usb)

dast

Reaction score
Yeah, it's real weird. Everyone's experience seems to differ. I get the same behavior that the OP did, so hopefully this will help his problem.

sziehr

Reaction score
There's really nothing weird, you just need to make sure the charger supplies at least 850 ma. More is fine. My car charger can supply up to 1200 ma (1.2 a) and works fine. The phone will only pull what it needs, but it needs 850 ma.

papelet

Reaction score
i've been using 3 different ones: a regular motorola phone that fits my D2, a Belkin charger for the car and the original charger and all of them work fine