other USB cords

Stargate

Reaction score
I bought a second generic USB charging cord with matching connections as a back-up since I travel a lot (and sometimes lose things). It charges the Droid fine but it won't cause the USB connection to appear in Notifications and "mount" procedure to occur when connected to a computer.

Anyone else have this happen and know the cure to allow this new USB cord to fully operate as the original does?

Leckert123

Reaction score
The USB cable you purchased does not appear to have the wiring to support sync, only "charge". This is a common issue on the low cost cables, so don't feel bad. If the USB notification does not appear in the top row of the screen after you plug it in to your PC, you can not make your cable work. You need to get a new cable that is properly wired to support sync also. It can be difficult to know for sure until you get the cable and try it.

I purchased (3) of these and they do both charge and sync on my Droid. $2.99 shipped to my house, per cable.

Micro USB Data Sync Cable For Verizon Motorola Krave ZN4 - V9DAU:17005 - Buy.com

kbrede

Reaction score
How long is this cable? I did some googleing but didn't find that bit of info. Looks like a 3 foot.
Thanks,
Kent

Leckert123

Reaction score
The cables are 4' long. I wish they were 6' but at $2.99 I will not complain very loud.

orthocoder

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Does the cable you bought off Buy.com work with wall/car adapters? I have had this problem with my Omnia and I had to buy a cable that has 2 ends-one for charging from a USB port and one to use with adaptors for charging only. I noticed Seidio had one like this for the Droid and wondered if the Droid was the same situation as my Omnia.

Leckert123

Reaction score
The cables work fine with AC wall adapters, provided that they are high enough amperage, like 800 mah or more. None of the cables I have, including the one that came with the Droid, will work with the 12V-->USB car adapters that I have, as they are apparently too low in amperage. It's not a cable issue, but an issue with low powered USB adapters.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The cables work fine with AC wall adapters, provided that they are high enough amperage, like 800 mah or more. None of the cables I have, including the one that came with the Droid, will work with the 12V-->USB car adapters that I have, as they are apparently too low in amperage. It's not a cable issue, but an issue with low powered USB adapters.

Correct. The Droid requires 854mA for proper charge/operation while plugged in. Otherwise you'll run into "Rouge Droid" issues (there's a whole thread on it :))