What is Safestrap? Unlocker or Hijacker?

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
I am thinking of getting a Razr HD in December and will need to Safestrap it. Is Safestrap just a hijack/2nd-init type hack like we used for the D2(G)/X or is it a complete bypass of the locked bootloader?

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Pretty sure safestrap does not bypass the locked bootloader. The reason I say that is there is a CM10 ROM available for the developer edition that can't be used via safestrap yet.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

clintro

Reaction score
I believe it is a hijacker, as of now to the best of my knowledge we do not have a way to unlock the bootloader on the retail version at least.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
^^ correct. Looked into it a bit more.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

KaChow

Reaction score
Essentially what Safestrap is it is "Recovery". Which is used further for flashing custom ROMs. Recovery, such as the one that is Safestrap and BE-CAREFUL as not all Custom Recovery's work on our phone the Razr HD/MAXX HD use this link, [Recovery] Safestrap Recovery V3.0 [11/07/2012 V3.05.x] [All Versions] - xda-developers . Reasons people use Recovery, create back-ups, flash roms, like the CM10 (still in the process) Cyanogenmod 10's, JB 4.1 ROM which is absolutely smooth and hopefully dozen ROMs will come shortly. But that is what it is basically for, which I was glad to see that TWRP, which they have done countless recoveries across multiple platforms. If my response is not entirely correct or precise, please note this is my first Droid all I've had in the Android world is HTC's where rooting/unlocking boot-loaders/ recovery are all done at once. Pretty sure even with Safestrap, it will not "unlock the boot-loader" unless you have the Dev Edition. I believe.

OP
Xplorer4x4

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
Thanks but I am well aware of what a recovery is, as I have owned/moded several android devices, and well aware of the risks and reading before doing flashing. The problem is, atleast that I can see, is a lack of technical information about it such as if it is 2nd init type hijack or what.

Sent from my DROID2 Global