What is cache!

tituswife

Reaction score
What is cache, how does it collect, how does it cause problems, and is it ever dangerous to clear it?

Thank you in advance.

Sent from my stock Thunderbolt

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Cache in general is a type of temporary and quick access data used by apps. Any temporary information created or used by an app is part of cache.

In general, cache shouldnt cause problems, but occasionally it can become corrupted and cause an app to misbehave.

In general, no, it's not dangerous to clear it, but by doing so, you force the app to recreate any information it had previously stored in cache, which can slow down the app until the information is recreated.

Unless you're having problems, it's really not something you should ever have to mess with.

OP
tituswife

tituswife

Reaction score
All I know about it is that Market support suggests clearing cache if you have difficulty downloading/installing apps.

Sent from my stock Thunderbolt

Blacksheep427

Reaction score
Cache in general is a type of temporary and quick access data used by apps. Any temporary information created or used by an app is part of cache.

In general, cache shouldnt cause problems, but occasionally it can become corrupted and cause an app to misbehave.

In general, no, it's not dangerous to clear it, but by doing so, you force the app to recreate any information it had previously stored in cache, which can slow down the app until the information is recreated.

Unless you're having problems, it's really not something you should ever have to mess with.

Ditto and agreed.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

OP
tituswife

tituswife

Reaction score
Thanks for replies. It came up because I saw an app to clear cache. I will leave it alone unless developer says to do so, like Market.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums