What is Airplane mode????

donnycouchpotato

Reaction score
Not so sure

Just got back from a trip to arizona, continental airlines. Prior to take off the message comes over to disable all portable devises, etc, the flight attendant just happens to be standing next to me and sees me toggle the plane mode switch, she says turn the phone off, not put it in plane mode, so I do it not to cause a problem, but after I did I asked her what's the point of having plane mode if I can't use it, she said off is off, you can turn your device back on when the captain says its ok. So while I understand the battery saving aspect of plane mode, and the shut down of data transfer, what is it with the phone that would make this attendant force me to do a complete shut down?

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yep, as soon as the flight attendent tells you to do it, consider it Federal law.

At this point, it's a function of the FAA and airlines. There's still plenty of cell-phone stigma out there, so dont expect this to change in the near future (though, I've heard rumors that Delta is working on it).

The last couple United and American flights I was on, the flight attendent allowed cell phones in airplane mode, but I dont necessarily see that as gospel.