What is Airplane mode????

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by Steve H, Dec 20, 2009.

1. swallman

swallman Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Just throwing in my 2 cents (for anyone that might be interested)...

I've recently used the in-flight WiFi and was pleasantly surprised at the speed (connected with my laptop). Was able to connect to my company's Cisco VPN Concentrator, and remotely connect to servers I needed to support. Made me much more productive during the flight (even though it did cost $ 10)...

2. Erich_F

Erich_F Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I thought it made your Droid sprout wings and a pair of turbofans? That's IT! I'm taking this useless thing back tomorrow. :mad:

3. JayMonster

JayMonster Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Cut that out... otherwise tomorrow we will see a thread demanding this be fixed in the next OTA update. :rofl3:

4. donnycouchpotato

donnycouchpotato New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Not so sure

Just got back from a trip to arizona, continental airlines. Prior to take off the message comes over to disable all portable devises, etc, the flight attendant just happens to be standing next to me and sees me toggle the plane mode switch, she says turn the phone off, not put it in plane mode, so I do it not to cause a problem, but after I did I asked her what's the point of having plane mode if I can't use it, she said off is off, you can turn your device back on when the captain says its ok. So while I understand the battery saving aspect of plane mode, and the shut down of data transfer, what is it with the phone that would make this attendant force me to do a complete shut down?

5. takeshi

takeshi Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
  6. LtKen

LtKen Silver Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Yep, as soon as the flight attendent tells you to do it, consider it Federal law.

At this point, it's a function of the FAA and airlines. There's still plenty of cell-phone stigma out there, so dont expect this to change in the near future (though, I've heard rumors that Delta is working on it).

The last couple United and American flights I was on, the flight attendent allowed cell phones in airplane mode, but I dont necessarily see that as gospel.

Search tags for this page
airplane mode on droid
airplane mode smartphone
android airplane mode
droid airplane mode
smartphone airplane mode
what is airplane mode android
what is airplane mode on a smartphone
what is airplane mode on android

what is airplane mode on droid

what is airplane mode on smartphone