Airplane mode, and roaming

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
So, question. If you're out of the country and you turn on airplane mode, you won't be roaming correct? What if you then turn on wifi, and use only wifi. You can't be charged for roaming if you're only using wifi and you're airplane mode is on right?

So technically you can do skype to skype with airplane mode on/wifi on, and be able to talk to people back home without worrying about extra charges?

OP
czerdrill

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Why are verizon reps so useless...one says that it doesn't mattter if I'm in airplane mode. I call back and another says its fine as long as I'm in airplane mode...so...which is it??

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes. Also, roaming only matters out of the US and if you're receiving data or calls over the cell network.

Airplane mode with Wifi on will achieve what you want.

OP
czerdrill

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
thanks! i appreciate the helpful answer, still cant figure out why verizon reps dont know this stuff

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm sure there's some legal CYA stuff.... Typical red tape.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
OP, two weeks ago, I was in Montreal for four days. Prior to departing, I called VZW and was advised that while visiting other countries VZW does offer plans due to the length of my visit it was not cost effective to change.

The VZW rep indicated that I would be ale to send and receive calls at $.40 per minute. The only way the access data was wifi. Interestingly, the VZW rep said that I could send or receive text messages without any additional fees.

Hope this is helpful.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
thanks! i appreciate the helpful answer, still cant figure out why verizon reps dont know this stuff
Same reason as it is for any carrier. Some reps are better than others. Corroborate with the forums.