What have YOU done with Tasker?

fedrich519

Reaction score
I have a ton of tasks that I have made. Would love to share them. Tasker completely blows my mind, how anyone could think an iPhoney is better is just crazy when you can make an Android phone do just about anything imaginable within its limits.

Here's one of mine...

Movie Theater

Context: Location. Drop a GPS flag on your favorite movie theater. Be cautious not to set the radius too far if you frequent nearby restaurants. 100 meters should do it.

Task: Display Brightness to 0.
Display Timeout to 15 or 30 seconds
Silent Mode On with mode to Vibrate
Send SMS: Number %SMSRF. Message: *Automated Message Do Not Reply* At the movies, catch up with you later.
Variable Add: Name: %MOVIE (or name of theater) Value 1.

Add Exit Task: Variable Clear. Name %MOVIE (or name of theater)

This can be applied to just about any location where a ringing phone and/or talking on a phone is not permitted.

fedrich519

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a 6 year veteran of Blackberry phones and I've just taken the plunge to a Droid X. After 3 days of use I've found that I really like the change, but there's one huge issue for me. I work for a company that has many, many conference calls that I need to participate in. I also work from home a lot. The blackberry has a hard button you can push to mute the phone which I didn't realize is extremely convenient and quite a plus for me when I have to <MUTE> Quiet kids, I'm on the phone! <UNMUTE>.

I just purchased Tasker and I'm trying to figure out how to create a way to enable the camera button as a mute button during a call but I'm coming up empty. If anyone has figured this out or can help push me in the right direction I'd REALLY appreciate it! As it is I usually have to 1) push the home button 2) swipe the unlock 3) click the phone application (it doesn't always automatically come up) and 4) push the mute button. That's painful and I REALLY need a fix!

Thanks for any help anyone can give!

-Jim

I feel your pain. I came from the Blackberry Storm to the Droid. I like the Storm when it worked. In eighteen months I had to replace the phone three times for hardware issues. The fourth time was when I switched over to Android. I also miss the mute button. I came up with two remedies.

Context: State: Incoming Call (leave number blank by hitting Done)
Task: Display: Keyguard: Off.
Display: Display Timeout: 1 hour (or more depending on your calls)

Now the mute button will always be displayed on the screen since the display won't time out and the keyguard will not come on.

Here's another one....

Context: State: Orientation: Face Down.
Task: Audio: Mic Mute.

Now when you are talking on the phone, all you have to do is place the phone face down and it will mute the microphone. Bring it face up again and it will unmute.

I recommend testing both of these out before relying on them for an important call.

ItaliStang

Reaction score
Anyone happen to know a way to use tasker to prevent music from automatically playing when a headset is UNplugged? Unless there's another way to stop this with any settings, but from what I've seen when searching about it, it seems to be a common problem that no one has a fix to...

Most I've been able to do is to just mute the media volume when it's unplugged, but even then the music plays for about 5 seconds (usually pretty loudly lol) before tasker has a chance to mute it. But I haven't had much time to mess with it further than that

DylanAZ

Reaction score
Need help creating Widget

I am trying to create a Tasker widget for a browser bookmark?

Cant figure it out, any help?

Thanks

sonicxtacy02

Reaction score
I just purchased tasker and already have a bunch of helpful profiles. I sure do wish i could get it to communicate with the Wifi Tether app instead of just launching it

boazzj

Reaction score
Scenes

I have LauncherPro install on my X and use Tasker to create "scenes" like HTC, using different app loaders for my phone.

Add Widget
-> App -> Load App -> Home (this is the stock android home screen)
-> Display -> Set Wallpaper -> whatever change you want.

Then I can press the home button to get back to LauncherPro

If you have multiple app loaders loaded, you can get multiple scenes

Last edited:

senordeuce

Reaction score
Damn

I was pretty excited about that scenes idea until I realized the ROM I'm running right now doesn't have the default home app. Maybe next time.

I have bluetooth headphones that I tend to use when I'm walking somewhere or at the gym, so I have Tasker open Stitcher automatically when bluetooth connects. Simple but it saves me a step.

senordeuce

Reaction score
Multiple Homes

Okay so I tried the multiple homes thing with LauncherPro as default and using Tasker to switch to DxTop. It works great just to make the switch between programs but I can't get the wallpaper part to work right. I can change the wallpaper on launch, but then when I switch back to LP, it stays changed. I assume you had it switching to a different wallpaper then switching back. Any ideas?

boazzj

Reaction score
Okay so I tried the multiple homes thing with LauncherPro as default and using Tasker to switch to DxTop. It works great just to make the switch between programs but I can't get the wallpaper part to work right. I can change the wallpaper on launch, but then when I switch back to LP, it stays changed. I assume you had it switching to a different wallpaper then switching back. Any ideas?

Using Tasker you can:
Context -> Application -> LauncherPro
Task -> Display -> Set wallpaper -> Whatever wallpaper you want it to be.

It works for me!

Sometimes a delay in changing the wallpaper, but it works.

Another nice thing about using Tasker for scene switching is it is faster than using HTC sense

jeremymiles

Reaction score
I set it to SMS my wife when I arrived home, which I detected using our wireless network. This gave me two problems. First, every time you reboot, it re-detects the network, and I was playing around and rebooting a few times, so she kept getting distracted from the TV. Second, she thinks I should come and say hello when I get home.

I've also tried to set it up so that I can change to Swype when I start email it pops up the option to change to swype. This works when I test is, but doesn't work when gmail starts. Anyone know why?

gott.eric

Reaction score
Set up a new thing yesterday: 2 Permanent notifications for orientation lock and unlock. Pressing one cancels the other notification and engage the new notification.

So when I want to lock the orientation I hit Lock Orientation which then locks it, cancels the Lock Orientation notification and starts up the Unlock Orientation notification. (IMO its cleaner and easier to access than a widget)

sonicxtacy02

Reaction score
does anyone have a profile for switching to swype for text messages only? I havent figured that one out yet.

sonicxtacy02

Reaction score
The more i use this app the better it gets. I'm on a mission to replace a bunch of small utility apps i have with Tasker. So far i've officially replaced:
-FlipSilent
-DriveSafe.ly
-Profiles
-SilentCamera
-CallLogger

I'm sure i'll find many many other apps to replace. Simply awesome.

chayes627

Reaction score
I need a little help. I want to turn wifi on at my house but the triangulation is horrible. Alot of times over 1000m and is counterproductive to have it use gps. Is there a way I can use net tri to like 2km then gps til I get wifi then gps off and wifi off when leaving the net tri area?

Sent from my Droid

sonicxtacy02

Reaction score
Here's a profile which will allow you to log all your incoming SMS to a text file.