What have YOU done with Tasker?

dilirum

Reaction score
Thanks Noogums! I borrowed your camera tasks! Very helpful!

I have had problems in the past with my alarm volume turning off somehow. I'm not even sure why it is possible to have a alarm volume at zero, seems like that takes away the point of an alarm, but whenever I set my alarm I used to check the volume and turn it up if it wasn't up all the way. I've actually been late to work before because my alarm volume was at zero once.

Anyway, that inspired me to do this:
New>Application>Clock (which I open to set my alarm every night)
+ > Audio > System Volume- level 7 (max)
+ > Alert > Popup > Title: Volume Changed > Text: Alarm volume is %VOLA
Done

Saves me a few steps every night when I go to bed.

The other things I've done is :
  • Created an event to auto reply with my coordinates to an SMS that contains a keyword (after turning on GPS then turning it off after the SMS has been sent). This way if I loose or leave behind my phone I can find it.
  • Created an event so that if it receives an SMS containing a specific keyword, Tasker will turn my notification volume to max then start chiming the loudest alert sound that I have 3 times with a pause in between each. If my phone is ever lost somewhere in the room I'm in and I just can't see it I can initiate this from another phone (or from google voice via PC).
  • The cool part about Tasker's location settings is that you don't have to use GPS. Of course locations are far more accurate with GPS (but GPS drains batteries if it's on all the time), however if I use cell based location detection it can still let my phone detect when I'm on the cell tower that I run off when I'm at the movie theater (or at my work) to turn all volumes off and vibration on. Fortunately the theater I go to most often is a unique cell tower so it doesn't occur when I don't want it to. It also is setup to auto respond to %SMSRF "A the movies... I'll get back to you."

charr83

Reaction score
I was wondering if someone can help me write this? I want to use the camera button for two different things: 1 -a menu of applications (which I can figure out from the wiki website) but it needs to work with the second thing. 2-when I have pandora or android music player playing I want the camera button to toggle the pause and then when I close the applications it needs to go back to #1. I can write each one by itself but I can't figure out the variables or whatever I need to make it work. Thanks

Danariel

Reaction score
i've been following this on lifehacker...seems pretty cool.

is there a way where you could have it auto launch pandora and then switch to google maps when you hit a speed of say 25 mph?

I had mine set up to launch Pandora upon connecting both Power and Headphone jack (AV jack to stereo.) Then it would set brightness to Auto, turn on Speakerphone, wait 10 seconds for Pandora to come up, and open Car Panel.

Now, I have it open Car Dock v2, upon which I have placed Pandora, the Mixing music app, Navigation, Phone, Voice Search, and Places. This app has settings for brightness and Night Mode built in, so I've really simplified the task. My exit task kills Navigation, Maps, Pandora, and the car Dock itself.

Last edited:

Danariel

Reaction score
First, I'd like it to silence the ringer and text notifications between certain hours, except for certain numbers for both. Is that possible?

New Event > Time > From TIME 1 to TIME 2
New Task > Audio > Ringer Volume > 0
New Task > Audio > Notifcation Volume > 0
New Task > Alert > Notify > Title "Silenced"
Click "Done".

Click the Green Arrow on the right and select "Add Exit Task".
New Task > Audio > Ringer Volume > 100
New Task > Audio > Notification Volume > 100
New Task > Alert > Notify Sound > Title "Unsilenced" & LongPress on Sound and pick a Notification sound.
Click "Done".

(The Alert parts aren't needed but they are a nice way of letting you know when stuff is going on.)

"Important" Call Event
New Event > State > Incoming Call > Type in the number you want to bypass the ring
New Task > Audio > Ringer Volume > 7

(Keep in mind this will ALWAYS be active and has no ties to your time event at all. But the general idea is that it's an important call and you want it to be maxed no matter where you are. Even if you already have the ringer volume maxed.)

You can add a time context to the phone number, as well. I have my Tasker set to mute Notifications when plugged in between 2300 and 0700. I have 4 tasks set, 2 for my folks emailing me (you have to use K9 mail for this, and i haven't verified it works) 1 for my BF texting me, and one for my friend. Along with the phone number context, you can click on your first context, then click on add and add a time context. That way, if you're in a meeting, the override doesn't blare during the day, when you WANT it on vibrate.

lyam

Reaction score
Gesture Based Brightness

I created a gesture based brightness toggle so I can quickly manage brightness levels without extra button presses. It keeps my Home Screen nice and clean and works within apps.
Profile:Gesture (create whichever you prefer. I found a 3 point
gesture starting with me looking at the phone in portrait then
swiveling it down and away and back to portrait works pretty well)
- Task1: Variable Set %STATE to 0 if %STATE!Set
- Task2: Display Brightness full if %STATE = 0
- Task3: Display Brightness Low if %STATE = 1
- Task4: Variable Add 1 to %STATE (with a wraparound value of 2)

:)

Camel54

Reaction score
I've enjoyed reading this whole thread and making my Tasker incredibly useful so thanks to you guys for all these great tips.

Questions: I've implemented the phone finding, SMS action, but the one problem I ran into is my %LOC is providing cached data instead of immediately updated data. I set a 1 minute wait, but it still it will send the location from the last time I manually activated my GPS (which I rarely do) and updated my fix.

My solution is to add Maps to this profile. So after I turn on GPS, I open Maps, which automatically grabs my current location, everything else proceeds normally, and I turn it all off. Is there a better way to force an update to the %LOC variable?

Next issue: is there a way to use Tasker to prevent certain services from running? The com.motorola services for news and friend feed for example. I would love for them to never start and to stay off.

UPDATE: I've discovered that just opening the map doesn't seem to guarantee success either. I've changed it so that it opens the map and maps directions from current location to my home address. I'm still testing it, but I'm still running into problems. I just need a way to force the %LOC to update without all this other craziness. I've seen some unexpected things while running Tasker as well. 3G stops connecting randomly or WiFi won't automatically reconnect even when WiFi is on. Random reboots after hitting Apply on Tasker. I disable the app and everything runs fine. Not thrilled about that, but I'm not abandoning it yet.

UPDATE 2: LifeHacker advised creating a profile with a Location context in it. Uh-doy! I was confused by the Location tool because I'm a genius. So the step I added to get the current %LOC

First I created a Profile named "CurrentLoc" and then went back to my SMS locator

> GPS = On
> WiFi = On
> Tasker > Profile Status > "CurrentLoc" = On
> Wait 60 sec

Last edited:

jamzgo

Reaction score
Swype portrait and android keyboard landscape?

Has anyone tried to figure out how to make it use swype for portrait and the normal android keyboard when it's landscape? That would be huge for me and if they did that I would gladly buy it when my trial expires!

lyam

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to figure out how to make it use swype for portrait and the normal android keyboard when it's landscape? That would be huge for me and if they did that I would gladly buy it when my trial expires!

Looks like you can trigger the input method selection list when the phone changes states but it is forbidden by Android to automatically select the input method for you.

Specify Input Method (which keyboard) on Event or State - Tasker | Google Groups

bamfsig45

Reaction score
here is what I want to accomplish and have tried several times.

sms received from my wife pops up her picture in alert/popup image. Then taping that popup takes me to the sms app.

ive done.

new/event/phone/Received SMS
Sender: Her number (ive tried name, number with and w/o hyphens)
done
+/Popup Image/ Select Image
done
+/app/load app/SMS app.
done

Now when I test this inside the app it works but when I try it with an actual text I dont get anything. Any Help?

3dogMcNeill

Reaction score
Tasker and Screensaver

Hi. I love Tasker—have created several of the steps-throughs—but I don't have any programming experience. I want to use Tasker to change the screensaver:

Image/background #1 is visible when the keyguard is on. When the keyguard is off, image #1 disappears and image #2 appears as the new background.

It's how the iPod Touch works, because I'm finding the screen becomes too busy with most screensavers and the apps on top.

Has anybody done this?

jfwilson

Reaction score
Mute Button

Hi,

I'm a 6 year veteran of Blackberry phones and I've just taken the plunge to a Droid X. After 3 days of use I've found that I really like the change, but there's one huge issue for me. I work for a company that has many, many conference calls that I need to participate in. I also work from home a lot. The blackberry has a hard button you can push to mute the phone which I didn't realize is extremely convenient and quite a plus for me when I have to <MUTE> Quiet kids, I'm on the phone! <UNMUTE>.

I just purchased Tasker and I'm trying to figure out how to create a way to enable the camera button as a mute button during a call but I'm coming up empty. If anyone has figured this out or can help push me in the right direction I'd REALLY appreciate it! As it is I usually have to 1) push the home button 2) swipe the unlock 3) click the phone application (it doesn't always automatically come up) and 4) push the mute button. That's painful and I REALLY need a fix!

Thanks for any help anyone can give!

-Jim