What have YOU done with Tasker?

anthonyb84

Reaction score
25cents... I was wondering if you could help me! I'd like to consider myself pretty technical, however for some reason I cannot manage to wrap my head around everything tasker does. Could you help me out a bit?

I'm looking to create a couple different things to happen. If you would even help with 1, I could probably figure out the other.

First, I'd like it to silence the ringer and text notifications between certain hours, except for certain numbers for both. Is that possible?

Also, I'd like it to check periodically if I'm at a certain location and if so, to silence the ringer and notifications but leave vibrate on...

I always want vibrate on. I cannot find a widget that will silence my ringer and keep my vibrate on that doesn't also change other settings (i.e. ringtone... talk about annoying)

If you think these are too complicated, or if another app exists that will do this, please point me in the right direction! I just got this thing Monday and absolutely love it so far!

HyBReD

Reaction score
25cents... I was wondering if you could help me! I'd like to consider myself pretty technical, however for some reason I cannot manage to wrap my head around everything tasker does. Could you help me out a bit?

I'm looking to create a couple different things to happen. If you would even help with 1, I could probably figure out the other.

First, I'd like it to silence the ringer and text notifications between certain hours, except for certain numbers for both. Is that possible?

Also, I'd like it to check periodically if I'm at a certain location and if so, to silence the ringer and notifications but leave vibrate on...

I always want vibrate on. I cannot find a widget that will silence my ringer and keep my vibrate on that doesn't also change other settings (i.e. ringtone... talk about annoying)

If you think these are too complicated, or if another app exists that will do this, please point me in the right direction! I just got this thing Monday and absolutely love it so far!

New Event > Time > From TIME 1 to TIME 2
New Task > Audio > Ringer Volume > 0
New Task > Audio > Notifcation Volume > 0
New Task > Alert > Notify > Title "Silenced"
Click "Done".

Click the Green Arrow on the right and select "Add Exit Task".
New Task > Audio > Ringer Volume > 100
New Task > Audio > Notification Volume > 100
New Task > Alert > Notify Sound > Title "Unsilenced" & LongPress on Sound and pick a Notification sound.
Click "Done".

(The Alert parts aren't needed but they are a nice way of letting you know when stuff is going on.)

"Important" Call Event
New Event > State > Incoming Call > Type in the number you want to bypass the ring
New Task > Audio > Ringer Volume > 7

(Keep in mind this will ALWAYS be active and has no ties to your time event at all. But the general idea is that it's an important call and you want it to be maxed no matter where you are. Even if you already have the ringer volume maxed.)

This will bypass the muted ringer and force it to be 7 if its the number you specify. Once the call is done ringing it returns it back to 0. If you want to add more numbers just keep adding Context to this 2nd Event. (In theory anyway, I don't have enough numbers to test. I don't know if multiple events treat it is as an OR or an AND. If it doesn't work with 2 numbers in one event you'll need to do it for each. But the general idea is that if someone important ever calls you want the Ringer to be maxed.

It's the same as above except instead of time it's location. Click "Get Fix" once you're in the area you want it to trigger in and make the range around where you'll want the GPS to trigger it and hit OK/Done. All the tasks fall in line with the same ones as above. You'll find vibrate as an option in Audio.

As for battery life, this app uses no more than any other app that syncs. Download Spare Parts and look at Partial Wake Time if you have any doubts. The new 2.2 Facebook update is causing more issues than this app does.

OP

25cents

Reaction score
Thanks a ton HyBReD - I tried posting something last night, but my connection was poor and I got logged out before I could post.

Exactly the way I would have done it (minus the titles because I'm an unorganized git)

Garrett67

Reaction score
You can also get the location you want by scrolling the map and long pressing at the desired location

bucknutz

Reaction score
I purchased "Tasker" and will be posting here with i'm sure many thoughts and questions. Hopefully I can find some contribution along the way as well.

dilirum

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips 25cent! I love Tasker ...

I modified my SMS to look like this:
(note: the %LOC is the variable which is at the end of the URL. This URL will link to a google map of your phone location this way.)
Code:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=sq&hl=en&geocode=&q=%LOC

Provider: %LOP     Accuracy: %LOA meters
Battery: %BATT %
The provider variable basically just shows you if the coordinates that are being reported to you are GPS or cell tower based.

I also learned that I can put in a "wait" task (and set it to 15-seconds) after my GPS turns on, otherwise the coordinates provided aren't GPS based because my GPS doesn't have enough time to get the bearings before sending the SMS. Then of course the other important task that I added was to turn GPS off after sending the sms.

There are also a lot of other cool variables you can include like sending the last phone number dialed, or the last picture taken.

Amazing tool Tasker is!

Rodskii

Reaction score
So I just bought tasker today and have been messing around with it. Made a little task that basically gets the weather XML code from yahoo.weather and parses out the condition code. IE: 30 = Partly Cloudy. I then have tasker assign a different wallpaper depending on the condition. I am going to mess around with it some more but as it stands now it's going to be a storage hog considering yahoo weather has 48 different weather codes and I don't want to use a wallpaper for every different one.

I know tasker has IF statements but do you know if you can do an IF/ELSE statement? Therefore i could setup wallpapers for the standard condition like Sunny, Partyl Sunny, Night, ETC and then have it default to a general one if they don't match.

harrellj

Reaction score
So I just bought tasker today and have been messing around with it. Made a little task that basically gets the weather XML code from yahoo.weather and parses out the condition code. IE: 30 = Partly Cloudy. I then have tasker assign a different wallpaper depending on the condition. I am going to mess around with it some more but as it stands now it's going to be a storage hog considering yahoo weather has 48 different weather codes and I don't want to use a wallpaper for every different one.

I know tasker has IF statements but do you know if you can do an IF/ELSE statement? Therefore i could setup wallpapers for the standard condition like Sunny, Partyl Sunny, Night, ETC and then have it default to a general one if they don't match.
If you have Beautiful Widgets, you can get Beautiful Live Wallpaper which gives you a live wallpaper with the current weather. Doesn't appear to be a battery hog (for me at least).

anthonyb84

Reaction score
nevermind... i found it.. i'm an idiot! lol

this thing is pretty sweet!

Last edited:

giodelgado

Reaction score
I just installed Tasker and I find annoying that it gives me a popup to let me know that GPS is ON and I have to click on the notification to do what I want to.

How can I disable that?

nitrate

Reaction score
Is there anywhere that anyone knows off to learn how to use Tasker better? I have limited programming knowledge and there are some tasks I would like to create, but can't seem to find information on how to do so. I have checked out the Tasker wiki and didn't find what I am looking for. How do I know when i need a variable? or a %LOC, and where do I find commands such as %batt, %batt, ect.

Anyone know of a better site with more information on it?

Noogums

Reaction score
Here's some I made just to fix some minor annoyances:

What it does: When camera is activated- turns shutter noise off, turns brightness to max.

New>Application>Camera
+>Display>Auto Brightness- set off
+>Audio>System Volume- level 0
+>Display>Display Brightness- level 255
Done

What it does: Display a pop up with the received message and sender's number (it will even wake display and show message if phone is locked)

New>Event>Phone>Received SMS
Sender: (leave blank)
+>Alert>Popup-
Title: %SMSRF
Text: %SMSRB
Time: 38 (will display for 38 seconds but you dismiss it with the back button)
Done
Done

What it does: LED blinks when call is missed and screen is locked

+>New>Event>Phone>Missed Call
+>Notify LED
Title: Missed Call
Text: (none)
Coulour: Red (or whatever you want)
Rate: 500
Done
Done

I know these are very simple but I just figured I would post them. Whats the harm.

gott.eric

Reaction score
Also, I have been trying to figure out how to do get this task to work: I want a way to (without having a widget just sit on my homescreen) record audio from calls by doing something like hitting a button and be able to stop the recording. The issue I'm having, though, is that you can't combine event contexts and for some reason the phone being off the hook is an event and not a state… Any thoughts?