What have YOU done with Tasker?

mike789

Reaction score
Wow all of these are great!

I am still having trouble understanding though.

I want to have the orientation of the screen stay length ways
while im in the navigation mode.

When am driving and I have my phone in my lap and go over a
bump the phone changes the way it displays the navigation and
I have to pick it up and shake it so it will go back to length from width.

Thanks in advance guys. :)

Sorry but do you mean portrait or landscape? If you want portrait you can just have a context of when the navigation app is launch to do the task of turning off the screen auto rotate. Unfortunately there does not seem to be a way to keep it in landscape.

mtz_gto

Reaction score

Sorry but do you mean portrait or landscape? If you want portrait you can just have a context of when the navigation app is launch to do the task of turning off the screen auto rotate. Unfortunately there does not seem to be a way to keep it in landscape.

Yes I would like to to stay in portrait and not go into landscape.

Would you be able to write out steps for me please?

wil318466

Reaction score
I have it set so that when I put headphones in (plug into my car) my the media volume goes up, and when its not plugged into headphones media goes down to zero (so I don't accidentally turn on the music player while at work).

Simple stuff so far, but I'm liking it.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
OK...this is my biggest question. How does this effect your battery life?
Negligible in my experience.

I got lucky and won a copy off of Android Police and I have some basic ideas but my biggest concern is for the battery usage. For my GPS profiles for work and home to be accurate I need it to check fairly often as I don't want to be home for an hour and forget to turn my volume up or connect to wifi.
But frequent locating via GPS can definitely kill your battery quickly. Don't overlook the Cell Near context as a possible alternative that consumes far less power if it happens to work for you.

zeroforum

Reaction score
However my Tasker script needs some revisions because I discovered that disabling a profile reverts the settings (in other words disabling the Wifi Near profile often turns wifi back off). To get around this actions you want to remain after disabled the profile should be made into separate named tasks and executed with the Tasker task "Perform Task".

Sorry - can you explain this in a bit more detail? Kind of confused.

techphets

Reaction score
I just purchased the app and agree with most of the comments I've read about it:

It's daunting and has awesome power.

Is it possible to create a profile which will silence the ringer from 9AM-5PM on MON-FRI only?

A hint or two about how to do this would be great. Can profiles be nested within each other?

I figured out how to do either one of those two separately but haven't figured out how to combine them yet.

The closest I've come is to set a task to run on weekdays only, monday-friday and then use an if time greater than 9AM to silence the ringer but I'm not sure how to add an if greater than 5PM to turn it back on...

NebulaOcton

Reaction score
Is it possible to create a profile which will silence the ringer from 9AM-5PM on MON-FRI only?

A hint or two about how to do this would be great. Can profiles be nested within each other?

I figured out how to do either one of those two separately but haven't figured out how to combine them yet.

The closest I've come is to set a task to run on weekdays only, monday-friday and then use an if time greater than 9AM to silence the ringer but I'm not sure how to add an if greater than 5PM to turn it back on...

You can set two contexts per profile. I have one that sets airplane mode for a period of time on M-F

Also you can nest by using variables, set a variable at the end of a task and then have the context for a new task be when that variable is set.

If you need more help pm me.

NebulaOcton

Reaction score

New - choose a name - application - Navigation - Done
+ - Display - Display Rotation - Done (should be defaulted to off)
Done
Click the box with the green arrow for that profile
Add Exit Task
+ - Display - Display Rotation - On - Done - Done - Apply

NebulaOcton

Reaction score
I noticed the weather dependent background was posted at the Tasker Wiki, Is there a way to get a zipcode from a gps location and store that to the zipcode variable?

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Question about a profile I set up. I want wifi to be off when i'm not near my home wifi spot.

so i set up wifi near my ssid and mac address, and set the task Wifi On
as an exit task I put wifi off.

is that all that needs to be done? my problem is that its not turning wifi off even if the screen is off, and i'm wondering if that'll waste battery? how can i make it so that it'll turn off wifi if my screen is off also and still only turn it on if it's near my SSId?

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've finally been able to deal with my work phone's voicemail answering calls forwarded by Google Voice (can't adjust number of rings before it answers). This requires the GV plugin for Locale:

Contexts:
Cell near: Had to spend some time collecting enough cell sites around the tower I work in. Even then, I had to manually add a couple that popped up later. Ended up with 8 cell sites.

Weekdays: Mon - Fri

Time: 7:00am - 4:00pm
Entry Task: Google Voice Settings, Configuration Work Phone On
Exit Task: Google Voice Settings, Configuration Work Phone Off

Works extremely well. Calls aren't forwarded to the work phone when I'm not near the office. I don't need to check the office voicemail if I don't answer a call and I'm not near the office.

LightsCameraAction

Reaction score
hey guys, new to this whole tasker app, just using the trial and looking up stuff to do. I really want to learn to use this, as someone i know is always talking about it.
However, when i'm using this, i can't seem to figure some stuff out...
first, is there an auto power down and power on, depending on time?
second, which is the thing i want to know most is using location (my house) to turn on settings. i want WIFI turned on and other things that i could figure out.... but the problem is, is that i don't have 3g, my sim is purely network so i can't get any to use maps or anything. so i was wondering, if someone could help me make a profile or two to set up a net location, along with wifi near. i have been looking on many sites but still can't seem to figure it out with all the variables. if anyone could help and give me a basic structure of profiles for this it would be greatly appreciated.

mtz_gto

Reaction score

New - choose a name - application - Navigation - Done
+ - Display - Display Rotation - Done (should be defaulted to off)
Done
Click the box with the green arrow for that profile
Add Exit Task
+ - Display - Display Rotation - On - Done - Done - Apply

Thank you very much for taking the time to write that out.

Sent from my Simply Stunning 4.7 Droid 1 with

NebulaOcton

Reaction score
Question about a profile I set up. I want wifi to be off when i'm not near my home wifi spot.

so i set up wifi near my ssid and mac address, and set the task Wifi On
as an exit task I put wifi off.

is that all that needs to be done? my problem is that its not turning wifi off even if the screen is off, and i'm wondering if that'll waste battery? how can i make it so that it'll turn off wifi if my screen is off also and still only turn it on if it's near my SSId?

I am working on understanding the wifi near function. After I get familiar with it I will try and help you.

NebulaOcton

Reaction score
first, is there an auto power down and power on, depending on time?

I believe you can power it down, but not up as Tasker doesn't run when its off

But you could save a alot of battery power by entering airplane mode for the specified time and turn the screen off (both with tasker) and then turn airplane mode back off when you would want it turned back on.

It would accomplish essentially the same thing but not completely turn off your phone.

See my post above about the wifi near stuff.