What happened?! Reset? Force close all the time..

euroxyz

Reaction score
My phone died and when I started it up a lot of apps appear to be missing but the one i tried to redownload would not start dling. Almost every app force closes. What happened and how do I fix it?? When it was starting up the force close msg kept appearing for lots of apps and i kept pressing OK but skipped through some msg that had the word "congratulations" in it. I don't know what the phrase said or why I was being congratulated...Thank you for your help.

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Congratulations, this is a new one.

Gonna follow this topic..

posted tomorrow using the space time continuum app on my D1...

pbuder

Reaction score
Mine started this yesterday too. It hung and I did a battery pull and now it doesn't see most of my apps and I am constantly getting "application xxx has stopped unexpectedly. please try again" messages. I tried to uninstall the applications it was giving me the errors on and I can't. I can't download applications either. Attempting either just hangs. If I go into settings and try to look at the applications, it never gives me the numbers for size/cache/etc but just reads "computing". I'm not sure what to do to fix it.

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
Some apps may not be suitable for your device perhaps. I suggest emailing the developer and inquire on it. Some apps doesn't do well on my D2G or my Xoom.

pbuder

Reaction score
I didn't download any apps yesterday or for a few days. I wouldn't even begin to know 'which' app was the culprit since so many apps are giving me that error including the standard apps that came with the phone. Nor can I uninstall through the settings/applications/uninstall button to pinpoint which of the apps giving me an error is the culprit. Is there some other way to uninstall?

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
Sorry ur having those issues. The only other advice I can give would be to do a factory reset. I know its a pain.

pbuder

Reaction score
So I did a factory reset which seems to have taken care of the force close errors. However any attempt to 'download' a program from the Android Market just hangs up on the 'install'.

I also did the 'hard reset' with holding the down volume and power button and choosing from that menu to see if that would fix what the software reset didn't.

What is left for me to try?

OP
E

euroxyz

Reaction score
I finally did the factory reset through the settings. Mostly it cleared up but I still get force closes with google music and facebook apps. I also thought it was the swift keyboard so not sure which apps are causing it. it's about 95% now at least..

dnm

Reaction score
This happened to me too, this AM. I did see a notification flash by that VZW updated something. My fingers were already on the screen tapping something when I saw the message. Nothing's worked since. The file managers I'm using can all read the file system, but almost all of my apps are Force Close or lost their data. :-(

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
So I did a factory reset which seems to have taken care of the force close errors. However any attempt to 'download' a program from the Android Market just hangs up on the 'install'.

I also did the 'hard reset' with holding the down volume and power button and choosing from that menu to see if that would fix what the software reset didn't.

What is left for me to try?

are you rooted? sorry for the big delay in responding. if ur not rooted, was there an ota for ur device? what phone do u have

ALOHA from Hawaii

pbuder

Reaction score
Since I wasn't sure what to do next, I ended up doing a factory reset. This did fix all the forced close issues but highlighted another issue. It was not mounting the SD card, nor could I see the SD card when connected via USB. At this point I also realized that all the apps that were giving me force close messages were running from the SD card. I went and got a new SD card (store only had a 4gig one in stock though while my old was an 8gig so wasn't very happy about that). It mounted the new card just fine. I also took the time to root as well.

The new card came with an adapter so I thought to see if my laptop could read the old SD card via the adapter. Read it perfectly so I backed up everything and swapped the back to the old SD card on the reset/rooted phone and now it reads the card just fine.