com.google.android.voicesearch Force Closing

ohioDroid

Reaction score
Voice Search has always worked perfectly for me.

I then did a series of changes to my phone without checking on this particular feature, when I should have.

I rooted my phone to stock 2.1, I've been trying Metamorph themes, I messed with the location on the phone HelixLauncher is.

At some point in this process, I noticed that Voice Search would Force Close as soon as I rebooted. Stupidly, I didn't think anything of it, and didn't note when it started happening.

Today I went to use it, it FCs. I try to use the App, it force closes. I try to go to Google Search and then click the microphone button, and Voice Search Force closes.

I reboot, again it Force Closes as soon as I start up. Same story.

Is this the fault of one of the things I did? Or could there be another reason, is there an app that conflicts with Voice Search?

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Change up the kernel you're using.

I had the same issue while testing kernels.

My current set up is Dark Edge w/ Chevy's LV 7 slot 1000.

Post your ROM so we can troubleshoot more effectively. Some kernels play better on different ROMS.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
O

ohioDroid

Reaction score
Change up the kernel you're using.

I had the same issue while testing kernels.

My current set up is Dark Edge w/ Chevy's LV 7 slot 1000.

Post your ROM so we can troubleshoot more effectively. Some kernels play better on different ROMS.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I'm running stock 2.1, rooted.
2.6.29-omap1-g7fa8788 android-build@apa26 #1

wnrussell

Reaction score
Try Startup Cleaner 2. Set Voice Dialer to 'will be cleaned on startup: yes'

Worked for me.

brando56894

Reaction score
Ive had this problem multiple times too but I figured it was because I removed voice search (along with a mass of other things) from autostart since I rarely ever use that feature.

I love modding my droid (and modding stuff in general!) but I hate how everything is so trivial, it gets really annoying at times since there's so many variables when you try to troubleshoot something.

OP
O

ohioDroid

Reaction score
I tried Startup Cleaner 2.

Phone boots. Startup Cleaner 2 says in the notification bar '3 applications have been cleaned!' And then immediately, the Voice Search FC thing pops up.

I close it, and try to run it manually, same deal. Maybe there's a configuration I need to make to Startup Cleaner?

I haven't messed with what apps start or don't start with the phone.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Ohio...do you have an advanced nandroid restore you can go to or did you just start modifying things without having a backing-up?

The reason I ask is because of your comment:

"I then did a series of changes to my phone without checking on this particular feature, when I should have."

At this point it's just best to restore a back-up. We don't know exactly what you did and any number of things could have been messed up.

OP
O

ohioDroid

Reaction score
Ohio...do you have an advanced nandroid restore you can go to or did you just start modifying things without having a backing-up?

The reason I ask is because of your comment:

"I then did a series of changes to my phone without checking on this particular feature, when I should have."

At this point it's just best to restore a back-up. We don't know exactly what you did and any number of things could have been messed up.

Luckily, I did! After rooting, reinstalling my apps (and reconfiguring k9mail...) I made an advanced nandroid backup. Only after that did I start dabling with all the cool stuff one can do with root.

I'll make a backup of my current state in a little bit (don't have time to sit with it at the moment) and then try the Advanced Nandroid Restore.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Luckily, I did! After rooting, reinstalling my apps (and reconfiguring k9mail...) I made an advanced nandroid backup. Only after that did I start dabling with all the cool stuff one can do with root.

good news : )

VERY good news.....

OP
O

ohioDroid

Reaction score
Okay. I got everything set up right, and flashed my backup. Voice Search DOES work again. Thanks for the help with that idea, guys.

So I guess now it's a matter of doing each modification one at a time and seeing if one of those kills Voice Search, and then figuring out why.

Interestingly enough, I had posed a question in another thread about the Droid Eye boot animation... Somehow, in flashing and restoring the ROM, I ended up with the 2.1 Droid Eye. Interesting and cool!

EDIT: I installed ROM Manager and flashed in ClockworkMod Recovery, and started getting the Force Closes on startup for Voice Search (but it would run when I launched it). I've started using Startup Cleaner 2, and it seems to be taking care of that, but why would that happen after installing ClockworkMod Recovery?

Last edited: