What exactly happens whe upgrading online?

JFMFT

Reaction score
What exactly happens when upgrading online?

I have a question for anyone who has upgraded via the Verizon website and who has gone from unlimited data to tiered or shared data. What exactly happens during the online upgrade process in terms of Verizon forcing an unlimited data user at the time of upgrade onto a tiered or shared data plan? Because from what I have gathered so far either there is a glitch with my particular account or something else weird is happening.

I have an account with two phones, both with the legacy unlimited data plans. When the Moto X launches, I want to upgrade and go onto a family share plan. I'd love to keep unlimited, but we all know that hasn't been possible while upgrading in the past year.

So I was playing around with the website and checking out the HTC One just for kicks, since the Moto X hasn't launched yet, and the upgrade website allowed me to get all the way to the confirm/submit payment screen without forcing me to choose a different plan. In fact, when prompted to select a plan during the process for upgrading to the HTC One (which I didn't submit, since I was just messing around), the $29.99/month Unlimited data option was pre-selected. The website ran some check and came back and said "No dropped features." Is this normal? Because it looks like I could keep unlimited this way, and yet there seems to be no way Verizon would allow such an oversight.

I just wanted to see if this was anyone else's experience, and specifically where/how the website forces you into a tiered data plan during the online upgrade process. Thanks for any feedback!

Edit: here are some screenshots from my ordering process - I went back through for the Droid Maxx just to see, same result as described above. Does this look normal? Seems odd to me that I can keep the unlimited...
View attachment 65738View attachment 65739View attachment 65740

Last edited:

mykl376

Reaction score
General Akbar says it's a trap.

I can't imagine Verizon letting something like this work, but I've never upgraded online either.