What can I do with an old Droid X

digipoo

Reaction score
[SOLVED]What can I do with an old Droid X

I have a Droid X just sitting around with nothing to do with it. I was thinking about making it into an e-reader of sorts and a VoIP phone.

I have already gotten pass the activation screen by hitting the 4 corners of the screen (Can I use the droid x (non phone part) if it's not activated?).

Is there anything that I need to know before embarking on this endeavor?

Edit:

Downgraded it to 2.2.1 Android system and now I just want to know if there is a way to turn off the cell radio but leave wi-fi on. I have tried the ##PROGRAM and could not find what I was looking for. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit 2:

I have disabled the cell radio through the *#*#4636#*#* menu. Now I am wondering if there is a way to do free VoIP to land-lines and other mobiles through the use of WiFi only. This of course includes the setup. I have tried using google voice but it needs to verify a number. My phone has no service and as such has no number. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit 3:

I found a way to get Google Voice to work and do free WiFi calling on the phone. I set up the Google Voice account with my laptop and used my home phone to verify my phone number. From there i went into Google Voice settings and unchecked the home number. Then I went on to download and set up Groove IP. Groove IP was easy to set up; all it needs is your Google Voice account username and password and then a few setting tweaks here and there. Now I can make and receive calls from the Droid X.

PS - I do not know if there is already a guide somewhere else out there, but I think that my experiences her will help others (not to sound arrogant). Aside from the above you can of course root the device and load a custom rom for extra performance. Not to mention that you can still use it to watch videos, listen to music, use as a FM radio, and a lot of other things. Basically it is the phone you had when you still had service on it.

Khyren

Reaction score
This is exactly what I was wanting to get a phone and do. Thanks for the guide. Bookmarking and subscribing. Thanks for keeping it updated.