Can I Use Google Voice With Droid X

SoxFan894

Reaction score
This is a little off topic, but it still refers to Google Voice.

I set up GV when i first got my DX. Now I want to use the Call Screening feature. Went to activate it on my account. Tried to call my self from a different phone. Nothing Happens...

Couple people I know with EVO's and DX's are working fine.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My question to this is if there is a way for me to make google voice calls via wi-fi at my house instead of using cell phone minutes. This would be awesome.

No. Google does use digital for texting however when it comes to using it as a phone it will cost you minutes. The work around this is to get on a friends and family plan and make your Google Voice number one of your friends.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is a little off topic, but it still refers to Google Voice.

I set up GV when i first got my DX. Now I want to use the Call Screening feature. Went to activate it on my account. Tried to call my self from a different phone. Nothing Happens...

Couple people I know with EVO's and DX's are working fine.

It worked for me. I called out to my wife on my computer using Google Voice through gmail, and she simply pushed the return call button not realizing it was my GV number. A message popped up asking if I wanted to take the call.

SoxFan894

Reaction score
Does that only work when your on your GMAIL account?

I am under the impression that if I do not have a computer near by, I can still push have call screening work and have them announce there name to leave a message.

Now, do they need to call the GV number or can they call my mobile?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Does that only work when your on your GMAIL account?

I am under the impression that if I do not have a computer near by, I can still push have call screening work and have them announce there name to leave a message.

Now, do they need to call the GV number or can they call my mobile?

If you use your google voice number to make a call, that is the one that will show up on the other persons phone, not your number. There may be something in the settings to change that, but I can't recall.

So when I called my wife using gmail, it used my GV number and that's how she responded.

If you call from your phone using GV number then that number will appear on their log just like when I called from gmail.

I think this is what you're asking. If I didn't answer correctly I apologize. They can of course call your mobil number if they have it. But that will cost you minutes, depending upon your plan.

SoxFan894

Reaction score
I thank you for answering my questions. Does the announce callers name only work when they call my google voice number?

SoxFan894

Reaction score
I thank you for helping me out. Does the call announce feature only work when they call my google voice number?

Duplicate....Disregard

SoxFan894

Reaction score
I know I'm beating the dead horse on this.

When a contact calls my mobile number, is there any way me to have the option to accept the call or send to voice mail.

Like the option when they call the Google voice number?

Ansextra

Reaction score
When I get a call I either swipe from left to right to accept the call or from right to left to reject it.

SoxFan894

Reaction score
UMMMM....not really answered my question.

But thanks for teaching me how to answer my droid x. I was so confused why for the past 2 months that I could never talk to someone.

SoxFan894

Reaction score
If you read what the thread is about you would know that its not even close to getting a step by step guide on how to answer a call.

liferefugee

Reaction score
ok, this will not be step by step down to the button push... but this is how you use google voice to make PURE VOIP FOR FREE (in the US and Canada) calls when using a 3g or wifi connection.

1) get a google voice number and verify your home phone or cell phone on the account.

2) go to sipgate.com (or some other FREE SIP provider) and register for a free account. Currently the only numbers are based in Californa but it doesnt matter since no one will actually be using this number.

3) install sipdroid (or some other SIP client) on your phone and configure it to handle your SIP provider. (WARNING username/password needed is typically found under device settings for your provider, not what you use to log into the website)

4) register your SIP account to your GV account.

5) Setup GV to forward only to your SIP account and make sure your app is picking up the call.

6) Install on your phone the google voice application. (This will give you visual voicemail)

7) Install on your phone the gvoice callback app. (This will intercept your outgoing calls and let you place them via GV easily. This integrates with your phonebook as well as numbers you straight dial.)

8) Configure GVCallback for your GV account. (you should be able to make outgoing and receive incoming calls via VOIP at this point. The next step is optional.)

9) Setup a new phonebook entry that sets your cell phone number to forward to your GV number, and also removes the call forwarding. (for verizon it would be *72 your GV number and *73 to remove) With a quick access widget on your desktop you can now quickly set your phone into VOIP ONLY mode. If your outgoing call can not be made via GV the gvcaller app will let you know.

*edit* If I am way off base on the purpose of this thread, then I appologize. When I think of google voice I think VOIP :)

wierdo124

Reaction score
ok, this will not be step by step down to the button push... but this is how you use google voice to make PURE VOIP FOR FREE (in the US and Canada) calls when using a 3g or wifi connection.

1) get a google voice number and verify your home phone or cell phone on the account.

2) go to sipgate.com (or some other FREE SIP provider) and register for a free account. Currently the only numbers are based in Californa but it doesnt matter since no one will actually be using this number.

3) install sipdroid (or some other SIP client) on your phone and configure it to handle your SIP provider. (WARNING username/password needed is typically found under device settings for your provider, not what you use to log into the website)

4) register your SIP account to your GV account.

5) Setup GV to forward only to your SIP account and make sure your app is picking up the call.

6) Install on your phone the google voice application. (This will give you visual voicemail)

7) Install on your phone the gvoice callback app. (This will intercept your outgoing calls and let you place them via GV easily. This integrates with your phonebook as well as numbers you straight dial.)

8) Configure GVCallback for your GV account. (you should be able to make outgoing and receive incoming calls via VOIP at this point. The next step is optional.)

9) Setup a new phonebook entry that sets your cell phone number to forward to your GV number, and also removes the call forwarding. (for verizon it would be *72 your GV number and *73 to remove) With a quick access widget on your desktop you can now quickly set your phone into VOIP ONLY mode. If your outgoing call can not be made via GV the gvcaller app will let you know.

*edit* If I am way off base on the purpose of this thread, then I appologize. When I think of google voice I think VOIP :)

That's what i'm having problem with, where the hell do i find this magical password

picasso

Reaction score
GV still uses phone minutes not wi-fi so don't see what you're gaining by it other than other GV features like switching phones and the like. Yes you would save on text messages though.

If you are using DX on wi-fi and you dial through GV why would you be charged against your phone minutes?

Ansextra

Reaction score
GV requires a phone signal. It doesn't work over wi-fi only. I just put my X into Airplane mode with wi-fi on and GV won't dial out.