What are Your First Impessions Of The Galaxy Nexus?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
It's a great phone, especially coming from the D1. Can't wait to root and maybe run SetCPU because the over/underclock should do wonders for both battery and performance. Only had 1 charge - did seem like the battery drained fairly quickly (off about half a charge from the store) but that was pretty intensive use for a few hours installing all my apps, screen constantly on, etc. Hopefully this thing will do better than 8 hours on a charge.

My two biggest complaints are fairly subtle. The rest I'd expect to be address with software/apps, or perhaps a custom rom if it comes to that.
1) I'm having a heck of a time hitting the incapacitated buttons consistently, or whatever you call them lol.

2) The other thing is the google search (along with the voice search button) is on top of every home screen and you can't get rid of it. BUT when I loaded my replacement launcher it's not there - except there's no voice search button and no shortcut or app for it that I've seen.

3) Only got like 5-6mbps down on LTE (2 bars, go figure my 3G flies at close to 2mbps here).

4) I've got 5-10 apps (out of 120+) that are broken or missing from the market.

5) Looks like Exchange mail requires you use the security features now (assume this is an ICS development). Another nuisance.

6) The new settings shortcut/button/icon is wicked ugly. I don't much care for the stock ringtones/notification sounds.

ICS has some really nice attributes:
1) Resizeable widgets is awesome (though some apps won't resize, assume the developer has to add the capability).

2) Scrollable widgets is awesome (I know a few launchers have had that)

3) Flipping thru the YouTube highlighted videos with the widget is pretty cool. The sort of thing IPhone users would drool over, if the IPhone had widgets.

4) The screen is big, but only on the edge of too big. As a PDA, it's nearly a perfect size, however maybe just a little bigger than ideal for swiping. There are some launchers out there that can really take advantage of the real estate, as well, overriding the 4x4 layout into 5 or 6 rows and columns. Nice combination with resizeable widgets.

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm curious, has anyone rooted, unlocked the hidden 1.5ghz speed and run some benchmarks? (Besides quadrant, I read quadrant doesn't work right with ics)

supercharged modified liquid 3.1 w/turbocharged 3g
Pete's 5 slot lv 1.25GHz w/ kickasskernel tweaks
19.9 linpack score
1856 quadrant score

Snow02

Reaction score
Clocking to 1.5 might not be possible for the vast majority. There's athread on xda where it's being looked into. Yes, the 4460 is supposed to run 1.5 natively, but the nexus is underclocked for a reason, and it's not battery savings.

schellbl

Reaction score
I would like to know this too. The feed back is driving me crazy. I didn't find anything in the phone settings under language and key board.
Settings....language and keyboard.... should be able to disable there

sent from unlocked gnex

DesktopDevin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
First thing I tried....I'm really at the point of thowing this thing out the window...

I can theme Android, hell I even made a ROM for the Thunderbolt but for the life of me I can't connect this phone to my PC!!!!

Feeling the same way here, downloaded the drivers and I get about 5 pics across and it drops the connection, tried switching between mtp and ptp as well as enabling the usb debugging no luck. I ended up installing swiFTP and transferring my files over my wireless connection.

If they don't fix this before my 14 days are up it's getting returned, you shouldn't have to go througgh this much trouble just to move files on and off the phone.

That and the low volume as well I could tolerate the low volume if it had a strong vibration to it but that is weak as well.

I have also noticed the radio on this is crap compared to my og. Once again hopefully they will patch this thing before my 14 day return period is up.

It's a shame as this thing is really snappy and responsive and the screen on it is awesome, I haven't tested the camera out fully yet. I will get around to that today.

scdown

Reaction score
cons: bad battery life, cant copy pics from computer to GN, no SD card slot, cant save and use ringtones sent from someone else, thats a bummer.it does not have Swype Texting, really no Swype Samsung com'on man!!!!
pros: fast, 4g, ICS OS,sweet display very vivid and clear,and the camera with zero shutter lag.
  • Bad battery life - you might want to evaluate this after you've had a number of charge/discharge cycles - my Bionic started out with like 12 hour life, but after a week, I was up to over 24.
  • Can't copy pics from computer to GN - what are you running? I know OS X requires a separate program, but Windows 7 uses MTP, and it shows up like a device - I copied wallpapers to the Pictures Folder it exposes without any problems.
  • Ringtones - Don't know about doing it from the phone, but you *should* be able to copy from Windows 7
  • Swype - That's not on there because this is a Nexus phone - I'm hoping myself that Samsung will offer it separately, though
  • Speed - yeah, it's pretty sweet, not laggy like some have said
  • Display - night and day from the Bionic (and I really didn't mind that screen)
  • Camera - I'm trying to get used to that, especially close focusing - depth of field seems a little wonky...

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
Clocking to 1.5 might not be possible for the vast majority. There's athread on xda where it's being looked into. Yes, the 4460 is supposed to run 1.5 natively, but the nexus is underclocked for a reason, and it's not battery savings.

With all the support for this phone I'm sure someone will figure it out, Google themselves might be looking into it for an update...afterall what's the point of a developer phone if you can't fully utilize the processors full speed and it will make custom kernels a real pain...I've read a little bit about this issue I just wasn't sure it applied to the stock kernel too...this seems like a little bit of a fail on Google's part but hopefully they fix it

Btw I do remember it is possible to make an overclock kernel to 1.5-2GHz but you sacrifice battery savings because you can't underclock past 1 GHz...I suppose a temporary fix would be 2 types of kernels- underclock ones 1 GHz and lower and overclock ones 1.5 GHz+

19.9 linpack score
1856 quadrant score

Snow02

Reaction score
No, there is a hardware problem. No one can get past 1.4-1.5 stable. And it might not be possible. Apparently it has to do with the dpll, which you can think of as a kind of frequency check/regulator for the CPU clock. Basically, it takes a huge dump trying to clock any higher than 1.4 due to the way it was designed. And our chips weren't binned to clock higher. So some might, but it's almost guaranteed none until yields improve. Which means early adopters are basically sol.

We'll see...

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I would like to know this too. The feed back is driving me crazy. I didn't find anything in the phone settings under language and key board.

Open your keyboard. Long press voice input button. Go to Android keyboard settings and uncheck vibrate while typing.

Done

sent from unlocked gnex

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Feeling the same way here, downloaded the drivers and I get about 5 pics across and it drops the connection

I have also noticed the radio on this is crap compared to my og. Once again hopefully they will patch this thing before my 14 day return period is up.

• Can't copy pics from computer to GN - what are you running? I know OS X requires a separate program, but Windows 7 uses MTP, and it shows up like a device - I copied wallpapers to the Pictures Folder it exposes without any problems.
I haven't had any problem copying some pictures (I only have about 30-40 I like to keep on there [pics of family, kids, etc]) - but they moved over fine. However, since I don't have unlimited data, I wanted to copy a good chunk of my music over, but it never could finish. It would go for a little while, then just stop and say there was a connection error. Frustrating...

And for what it's worth, you won't have as reliable a connection as you did on your OG Droid. It's the unfortunate nature of LTE at the moment... even when you're just using 3G on an LTE phone. :blink:

bgrubb7

Reaction score
Overall this is a great phone... but the only thing that has made it worth the wait in my book is ICS. The Screen is OK, but I can definitely tell its a Pentile. There is no comparison to my OG Droid screen, which is on par with the Retina... The Rezound screen is much better.

It's nice and light. Thin. decent build quality. Better than many previous Samsung phones I've seen, but it doesn't have the solid Motorola feel that you get from a metal cased Droid or Razr.

Minor ICS complaints: Google search bar. Why can't we get rid of it like we could on Froyo or GB? Hopefully this can be taken care of in a custom ROM.

RaptorKC

Reaction score
NFL Mobile app: "NFL Mobile is not currenly supported on this device."
That is just complete @#$@ !!

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
Overall this is a great phone... but the only thing that has made it worth the wait in my book is ICS. The Screen is OK, but I can definitely tell its a Pentile. There is no comparison to my OG Droid screen, which is on par with the Retina... The Rezound screen is much better.

It's nice and light. Thin. decent build quality. Better than many previous Samsung phones I've seen, but it doesn't have the solid Motorola feel that you get from a metal cased Droid or Razr.

Minor ICS complaints: Google search bar. Why can't we get rid of it like we could on Froyo or GB? Hopefully this can be taken care of in a custom ROM.

The OG Droid on par with retina display??? Comparing the display specs on paper the nexus screen, rezound screen and the retina display blow it out of the water...however in the end everyone has their own favorite screen...I just mentioned this so people don't automatically think the nexus screen is bad

Also I do believe there is a way to disable the search bar somehow

19.9 linpack score
1856 quadrant score