What are some reactions to gingerbread on the X2?

tical364

Reaction score
Just updated to GB and curious about other peoples thoughts on the update. In my experience, I literally couldn't be happier with my phone. I was ready to sell it on ebay but this update has made me fall in love with the phone.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

gr8scott_o

Reaction score
Just updated to GB and curious about other peoples thoughts on the update. In my experience, I literally couldn't be happier with my phone. I was ready to sell it on ebay but this update has made me fall in love with the phone.

If the responders wouldn't mind, could you highlight a few issues you were having before that GB solved for you?

Thanks!

OP
T

tical364

Reaction score

If the responders wouldn't mind, could you highlight a few issues you were having before that GB solved for you?

Thanks!

Good call! Well to start, some issues I had were that my phone was unbelievably lagging. Unlocking the phone made me furious. Also texting was awful because the multitouch keyboard was often unresponsive (letters were missed bc of fast texting). Now with the update, unlocking the phone is smooth and my keyboard keeps up with my texting! Also, there is no more draw-in with launcher pro anymore. These were my main gripes that have been fixed and there still many other small improvements that im sure others have seen also

masters

Reaction score

Thanks!

Multiple Text Messages (ugh! 1-10 messages)

Screen freezes when you turn on the phone.. It used to hicup when going from the lock screen to the desktop.

Bloat that would take up more memory than it really should..

Probably related to the line above, but I would find it slowed down after using, rebooting freed up about 1/2 the memory.

------------
Things I wish our X2 had in gingerbread but doesn't (I had an original Droid with Gingerbread)..

turn off animation that is standard on GB and some of the other animations and cosmetic features that GB had..

OP
T

tical364

Reaction score
The bloat definitely was terrible! Now there's always at least 90 to 100 mb free. And now that im typing numbers, the number incorporation into the keyboard is nice too

Totally agree with you about the startup btw

marcod

Reaction score
I feel the same way as the rest. I love my phone now. Much smoother, faster and no more lock ups, reboots, and multiple texts. I was almost ready to dump this phone. But now I am happy so far.

EvilTim

Reaction score
Good call! Well to start, some issues I had were that my phone was unbelievably lagging. Unlocking the phone made me furious. Also texting was awful because the multitouch keyboard was often unresponsive (letters were missed bc of fast texting). Now with the update, unlocking the phone h my texting! Also, there is no more draw-in with launcher pro anymore. These were my main gripes that have been fixed and there still many other small improvements that im sure others have seen also

My keyboard still sticks sometimes, when I hit a letter nothing happens, hit it again and I get 2 of the letter. Other than that it seems all around faster from the home screen transitions to the web browsing. Now we just need some root lovin' and an sbf

KozMcCharlie

Reaction score
Cross posting my reactions from earlier this morning on the Motorola Support Forum ...

Been playing around with the new gb x2 for the last few hours and just wanted to give some observations...

It is faster. Apps, web pages, just about everything loads MUCH faster. So far Slacker Radio and Pandora start playing within 2 seconds and going to a different station or the next song is also way faster. Nav and Maps also load routes and tiles way faster... it's actually almost immediate. In fact, in Nav, switching from standard view to street view was instantaneous with no load time.

As for other things I've noticed, the animations and transitions seem effortless and much more succinct. There is no lag and a noticeable lack of what I previously thought was a sloppy feel. This carries over to the touch screen as well. It feels more accurate. The new keyboard is quite nice and I actually type a bit faster because of it. The new text selection tool, including copy and paste is very nice. Super easy to use and very well thought out.

Overall I am pretty impressed with the way the phone is running so far. Also, I should note that after almost 3 hours of really heavy use, the battery is still at 90% (or it was just prior to starting this post) and I haven't noticed the phone getting more than a little warm when using GPS and streaming audio where it used to get quite hot. I'm not entirely sure how the update changed this, but it seems to have some so quite nicely.

Last thing, and this has become very apparent while creating this post, the haptic feedback is way more to my liking after the update. It seems a bit more subtle and, like the rest of what I've experienced, more precise.

Hope this helps some of you looking for info.

ashclepdia

Reaction score
Good call! Well to start, some issues I had were that my phone was unbelievably lagging. Unlocking the phone made me furious. Also texting was awful because the multitouch keyboard was often unresponsive (letters were missed bc of fast texting). Now with the update, unlocking the phone h my texting! Also, there is no more draw-in with launcher pro anymore. These were my main gripes that have been fixed and there still many other small improvements that im sure others have seen also

My keyboard still sticks sometimes, when I hit a letter nothing happens, hit it again and I get 2 of the letter. Other than that it seems all around faster from the home screen transitions to the web browsing. Now we just need some root lovin' and an sbf

Did u try clearing your keyboard data? Helped me when I had that problem
Menu>settings >applications >manage applications > under the ALL tab click multi touch keyboard and clear data. It should smooth out the typing problems.

garywojdan81

Reaction score
Camera & camcorder work better & all the music stutter & lag is gone. Everything is snappier and it seems that multitasking isn't as labored. Overall, I'm very pleased. A working root exploit would always be welcome, but for now stock's not so bad.

ashclepdia

Reaction score
Camera & camcorder work better & all the music stutter & lag is gone. Everything is snappier and it seems that multitasking isn't as labored. Overall, I'm very pleased. A working root exploit would always be welcome, but for now stock's not so bad.

Did u get the OTA or download the zip

garywojdan81

Reaction score

Did u get the OTA or download the zip

Went with the zip. Not enough patience for the ota.

juhde

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

You do know there is a rooted version right?

Elite49

Reaction score
It's running great! With root and bloat removed I get around 200 MB RAM free. Their's still some stuff I need to get rid of and do to it since I just did it earlier today along with a Titanium Backup.

garywojdan81

Reaction score

You do know there is a rooted version right?

Oh yeah. Just got flash happy & loaded the first release before the other became available. Now, I don't yet feel like going the sbf route to get the prerooted installed. Probably will in a day or so.