Weather chanel eating my battery!

Phaze08

Reaction score
Ok so I use the weather channel app and it won't update unless I turn on gps. Thing is my phone shows that 40% of my battery use is twc.gps something or other. But its the gps. How do I fix this?

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

newk8600

Reaction score
Ok so I use the weather channel app and it won't update unless I turn on gps. Thing is my phone shows that 40% of my battery use is twc.gps something or other. But its the gps. How do I fix this?

You don't have to turn on gps to update the weather channel app I keep GPS off unless I'm using it for Nav. you just have to set an area code or location in the home of the weather channel app. I have 4 locations set and they are updated when I look at them through the app.

You might be referring to the weather channel widget though. I don't use it just the app.

OP
P

Phaze08

Reaction score
So is there a widget that doesn't use gps? I never had this issue on my d1 lol.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Lenagainster

Reaction score
..... I keep GPS off unless I'm using it for Nav..... .
I've found it a PIA to turn the GPS on for Nav and then manually turn it off. Been experimenting leaving it on all the time. No noticeable loss of battery life. The GPS icon only shows when an app is using it. I read somewhere in a thread that one of the updates fixed the problem so that even though the GPS is "enabled", it is only "on" when being used by an app.

Elbuort

Reaction score
..... I keep GPS off unless I'm using it for Nav..... .
I've found it a PIA to turn the GPS on for Nav and then manually turn it off. Been experimenting leaving it on all the time. No noticeable loss of battery life. The GPS icon only shows when an app is using it. I read somewhere in a thread that one of the updates fixed the problem so that even though the GPS is "enabled", it is only "on" when being used by an app.

Your right...I keep GPS on 100% of the time and it is not any more of a battery drain than having it on. Its there when I need it activates itself when I play around with Latitude or the Places apps...goes away when I come back to my home screen or whatever. The issue is probably with the widget itself. Widgets are notorious, at least some are, as being battery hogs even before you throw GPS in the mix. I haven't used that specific app/widget myself but the way I see it having a GPS enabled weather widget is akin to having the actual weather app open constantly requesting a GPS fix. Personally I use Beautiful Widget's clock/weather app, and I do let that widget update via GPS, but BW let's you control how often it checks for an update. Is there a similar setting on your app?

Sent from my rooted Droid 2 Global running Fission ROM