Warning: No more free tethering if you upgrade to 4.1.2

gmelville80

Reaction score
Anyone signed up with Motorola for the latest Android and lost their ability to tether on USB or Bluetooth?
I used to tether my phone with bluetooth from windows
I got the latest build (4.1.2) from motorola as part of the field trials and have found that it disables the ability to tether on Bluetooth. It now blocks this ability checks your Verizon account and expects you to pay for it, previously this was allowed! Anyone found this issue and a way around it?

LaughingGravy

Reaction score
I used PDANet+, free on Google Play store. It works just fine. You have to pair it by a combination of Windows trying to do it, after it installs device driver software, and the actual pairing happening when you connect through the system tray app from the computer. I'm actually paired now with Jelly Bean 4.1.2 on a Windows 7 laptop PC going to sites not allowed by the company firewall otherwise. Nothing really bad, just juvenile crap websites.

cybertj.2000

Reaction score
FoxFi works great for me, I use the paid version so no limits on time used (other than battery life).

We are the Droid!!
You will be assimilated!!
Resistance is futile!!

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I had the same issue with my DNA when I updated to the newest version of the stock ROM. Was horrible, now Im runnong CM 10.1.

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
Root your phone and use SQLite to bypass it. Works great.

The bypass does not work for Bluetooth PAN (Personal Area Networking).
Bluetooth PAN worked with no issues before 4.1.2 and allowed tethering of iPads and such.
Uses less power than Wifi and is impossible to detect because all data get re-encapsulated in a data packet that looks like it originated on the phone.

Anyway... 4.1.2 on all phones from Verizon kill this ability.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I find PDA net hit and miss...often times on the paid version, we're having to clear the cache, and force close...then it works. But the entitlement hack is more reliable...

But ymmv