Warning** Do NOT Upgrade to Kit Kat If You Have a New Droid Mini/Max/Ultra

llsee

Reaction score
I just got back from the Verizon store in town. Last night (12/20/2013) Verizon pushed out the Android 4.4 release to my phone. I accepted the upgrade, and after starting to update, the phone rebooted to the Motorola splash screen and stayed there. I tried to recover using the instructions on the VZW web site, but it failed with an error. At the Verizon store, the rep said that is happening "a lot". He said it happened to one of their employees. And when I get my replacement (Droid Mini), I should probably decline the software upgrade for now.:mad:

Rottwyler

Reaction score
NOW i read this....

I had a Droid RazrM for about 1 1/2 years and it worked flawlessly until recently ( a few hiccups). Last Thursday an auto update to KitKat downloaded so I accepted the upgrade. NIGHTMARE!!! Apps lost data all of the sudden, and I couldn't connect to wifi standing right next to it nor access playstore. I checked and rechecked everything and still couldn't get it to work...called tech support and they had me do different settings and it semi worked (still a few apps data was lost) and still wouldn't connect to playstore.

Went to the Verizon store and explained situation...kid screwed around with it and got it to connect to their instore wifi and could access playstore. He then said "See..it's connected" within 10 minutes it dropped wifi and I showed him..SEE...the only way to get it to connect to wifi is Turn phone off/on then it's fine for ~10-20 mins then drops again then won't reconnect until power cycle. At this point he said I'll have a replacement sent to you by tomorrow...great!

Got replacement and reconstructed what old phone had on it...worked GREAT!!! (and it was the older version of Firmware).

Last night...KitKat installed itself to the new phone....and again..back to where I was!! AGH!! Time to go back to Verizon...this damned software update SUCKS and kills your phone!!!

Anyone else having issues?

Any help?

Thanks T:mad:

mslaceyrose

Reaction score
I had a Droid RazrM for about 1 1/2 years and it worked flawlessly until recently ( a few hiccups). Last Thursday an auto update to KitKat downloaded so I accepted the upgrade. NIGHTMARE!!! Apps lost data all of the sudden, and I couldn't connect to wifi standing right next to it nor access playstore. I checked and rechecked everything and still couldn't get it to work...called tech support and they had me do different settings and it semi worked (still a few apps data was lost) and still wouldn't connect to playstore.

Went to the Verizon store and explained situation...kid screwed around with it and got it to connect to their instore wifi and could access playstore. He then said "See..it's connected" within 10 minutes it dropped wifi and I showed him..SEE...the only way to get it to connect to wifi is Turn phone off/on then it's fine for ~10-20 mins then drops again then won't reconnect until power cycle. At this point he said I'll have a replacement sent to you by tomorrow...great!

Got replacement and reconstructed what old phone had on it...worked GREAT!!! (and it was the older version of Firmware).

Last night...KitKat installed itself to the new phone....and again..back to where I was!! AGH!! Time to go back to Verizon...this damned software update SUCKS and kills your phone!!!

Any help?

The update caused issues for many people, across a lot of different devices. It's a good idea to do a factory reset after an update, especially a major one. It just seems to get things to 'set' properly, for lack of better terms.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2

Any help?

even though they replaced your phone, im surprised they did as its out of warranty. i have read other reports of vzw reps brushing them off and not offering a replacement.
i dont know if there is root for the M on the old version (probably is). if i were you, when you get a replacement, root it right away and freeze the updater app and you will never get another update notification unless you unfreeze it.
its really the only way to stop this cycle.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
...Got replacement and reconstructed what old phone had on it...worked GREAT!!! (and it was the older version of Firmware).

Any help?

This thread is for the issues experienced on the Droid Ultra & Mini last year...but still figured I would post a response about Razr M issues. I have 4 RAZR M's in my family and all 4 are running KitKat with no issues. I have not done anything special (except a cache wipe before the update and disabling the Kindle and Amazon App apps since they are not KitKat compatible...yet) and feel fortunate to not have the issues reported on this forum and the Moto forum. All 4 connect to WiFi easily and stay connected all day, no battery drain, no hot phone, etc. Two things you posted make me think your issues are app (or apps) related: loss of app data (whichever app that is might not be KK compatible) and the replacement phone worked good on JB until the KK update and then had the SAME issues. @mslaceyrose has an excellent point about a FDR. Most experts recommend that after a new OS update. I have not done that on any of our phones but will as soon as strange behavior starts. The key to remember is: after a FDR or replacement phone you might be auto-downloading the same app that caused the problems! When you get a new phone or do a FDR, as soon as you activate the phone...turn on airplane mode to disable all data connections. Go to Settings > Backup & Reset and uncheck "Back Up My data" and "Automatic Restore". When these are checked Google will automatically download all apps you had before with the same app settings...and sometimes..problem is right back on the phone. With those unchecked run the phone with no Play Store apps for a few days and see how things run. Then, start installing Play Store apps one or two at a time and reboot the phone often. Keep a list of what you are installing each day. If the phone starts to have issues, you know which app (apps) are causing problems and can then not use them until they are KK compatible or contact the app developers for help. That's just my 2 cents & has helped me determine phone problems a few times. In my opinion, most phone problems are caused by apps, or a combination of specific apps and not the OS itself. Not everything about KK is perfect, but there are a lot of phones running KK that are working just fine.