Want an Android phone that’s 3x’s faster? Myriad wants to give it to you.

cb3FSU

Reaction score
Want an Android phone that’s 3x’s faster? Myriad wants to give it to you.

Want an Android phone that’s 3x’s faster? Myriad wants to give it to you. | Google Android Blog

A little-known member of the Open Handset Alliance has announced that it has discovered a way to juice-up Android’s performance 3-times as fast as current speeds. How? By replacing the standard Dalvik engine.

Myriad Group will debut Dalvik Turbo next week at Mobile World Congress. Turbo is said to allow “[COLOR=#12487f !important][COLOR=#12487f !important]OEMs[/COLOR][/COLOR] and operators to bring smoother delivery and more complex [COLOR=#12487f !important][COLOR=#12487f !important]applications[/COLOR][/COLOR] to Android phones, while also providing substantial [COLOR=#12487f !important][COLOR=#12487f !important]battery [COLOR=#12487f !important]life[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] improvements when running resource intesive tasks.”

Dalvik is the [COLOR=#12487f !important][COLOR=#12487f !important]virtual [COLOR=#12487f !important]machine[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] that runs Java (the language used to create apps) on [COLOR=#12487f !important][COLOR=#12487f !important]Android[/COLOR][/COLOR]. Without getting too technical, it converts and simulates certain elements to make [COLOR=#12487f !important][COLOR=#12487f !important]Android[/COLOR][/COLOR] apps run. All you really need to know is that this [COLOR=#12487f !important][COLOR=#12487f !important]new [COLOR=#12487f !important]technology[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] would optimize the [COLOR=#12487f !important][COLOR=#12487f !important]virtualization[/COLOR][/COLOR] process, which would make apps on the next generation of devices perform the best they ever have on [COLOR=#12487f !important][COLOR=#12487f !important]Android[/COLOR][/COLOR]. It will also provide better battery life and graphics according to Myriad.

The Myriad-created Dalvik Turbo replaces the standard version that ships with [COLOR=#12487f !important][COLOR=#12487f !important]Android[/COLOR][/COLOR], and has been retooled to support “rapid integration” on devices. [COLOR=#12487f !important][COLOR=#12487f !important]It [COLOR=#12487f !important]supports[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] processors from ARM, [COLOR=#12487f !important][COLOR=#12487f !important]Intel [COLOR=#12487f !important]Atom[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] and MIPS Architectures. Myriad will debut Davlik Turbo at MWC stand AV86 from February 15-18.

iPirate

Reaction score
What?

I don't like when people copy articles and say nothing about them.

OP
C

cb3FSU

Reaction score
Ok It didnt copy well. The link works though. I was hoping someone here could read it and expound upon what it could mean for us since Im not really sure what to make of it.

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
A little-known member of the Open Handset Alliance has announced that it has discovered a way to juice-up Android’s performance 3-times as fast as current speeds. How? By replacing the standard Dalvik engine.

Myriad Group will debut Dalvik Turbo next week at Mobile World Congress. Turbo is said to allow “OEMs and operators to bring smoother delivery and more complex applications to Android phones, while also providing substantial battery life improvements when running resource intesive tasks.”

Dalvik is the virtual machine that runs Java (the language used to create apps) on Android. Without getting too technical, it converts and simulates certain elements to make Android apps run. All you really need to know is that this new technology would optimize the virtualization process, which would make apps on the next generation of devices perform the best they ever have on Android. It will also provide better battery life and graphics according to Myriad.

The Myriad-created Dalvik Turbo replaces the standard version that ships with Android, and has been retooled to support “rapid integration” on devices. It supports processors from ARM, Intel Atomand MIPS Architectures. Myriad will debut Davlik Turbo at MWC stand AV86 from February 15-18.

without the stuff

iPirate

Reaction score
Ok It didnt copy well. The link works though. I was hoping someone here could read it and expound upon what it could mean for us since Im not really sure what to make of it.
Sounds good, who doesnt want faster with less power consumption? But I'm not sure about the technical details, this is the first I have heard of this engine.

qoncept

Reaction score
For those of you that don't fully understand how Java runs -

Dalvik is a Java Virtual Machine, or JVM. Java is different from most languages in that instead of its code being compiled for every operating system and processor architecture platform, it's compiled just once and run on a virtual machine. The app can then run on every platform that has a suitable JVM.

You can kind of think of it as like a Nintendo emulator. The code was intended to run on an NES, but you get an app that pretends to be an NES so it can run on your Droid. The difference is that there is no "original hardware" for Java to run on -- it was always intended to run in virtual machines.

Anyway, improve the efficiency of the JVM and yes, every app will run faster. Improve it 3x? No way.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Read this today over on "that other site." No word yet on whether or not we'll be able/be allowed to run this on the Droid, right? If I understand correctly, it's still just a BETA type thing...?

xliderider

Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation qoncept, that was easier for me to wrap my brain around. ;)

LOL. I thought I got away from JVM when I dumped my Blackberry. :D

StupidGenius

Reaction score
Sorry to rehash this but apparently this will be demoed at Mobile World Congress this coming week (Feb 15-18). I'm not tech-savvy, so in all honesty I originally thought this was some kind of hack. But this article reads as if it could be legitimately implemented by any OEM if they chose to. So could we expect this to become a standard for Android and eventually reach our phone? Also, does the iPhone use a similar architecture or is the iPhone OS completely proprietary? I ask because I wonder if this provides a major advantage to the Android OS.

Dalvik Turbo To Increase App Execution Speed 3X While Saving Battery | Android Phone Fans

LrdElderon

Reaction score
For those of you that don't fully understand how Java runs -

Dalvik is a Java Virtual Machine, or JVM. Java is different from most languages in that instead of its code being compiled for every operating system and processor architecture platform, it's compiled just once and run on a virtual machine. The app can then run on every platform that has a suitable JVM.

You can kind of think of it as like a Nintendo emulator. The code was intended to run on an NES, but you get an app that pretends to be an NES so it can run on your Droid. The difference is that there is no "original hardware" for Java to run on -- it was always intended to run in virtual machines.

Anyway, improve the efficiency of the JVM and yes, every app will run faster. Improve it 3x? No way.

You never know. Has anyone really benchmarked how fast our vm is compared any others? Do we know if or what hardware optimizations our default uses? I mean perhaps not 3x the speed all the time, but I don't doubt they may have a considerable speed boost.

Just look at JIT. it's still at a very early unoptimized stage and cyanogen was getting something like 240% increase in some applications (notably the linpack benchmark). If this company really took time to optimize it and maybe doing something like jit added in .... sure I can see speeds like that perhaps.

We'll know soon enough one way or another since it's going to be at that conference / convention or whatever.

tktouch12

Reaction score
so could this come to droid in an update sometime?
and i also wonder, does iphone run of something like this?

hacku

Reaction score
This sounds promising, and this is the great thing about having an open source OS.

Things can only get better... :)

osyrus42

Reaction score
Huh, good find. If it really is what it says it is, I don't see why it wouldn't work with ANY Android device on the market. Isn't that what a VM does? Helps software better interface with a variety of hardware? I bet the modding guys could do something with this, but I'd put money on not seeing anything official for a LONG time.