VOIP app for the X?

kevinkar

Reaction score
What Techmoman said. Install the full Skype app from the market. It works over Wi-Fi just fine. Doesn't use minutes and works like regular Skype on a laptop or PC. Of course I believe you need to purchase "Skype Out" minutes to call land line phones so that's an added cost but it should work.

Gingerfer16

Reaction score
I downloaded the full app for Skype and it did connect on Wifi. No one I will need to call has Skype but I will have them download it if this words. Will it work calling America from England on Wifi? Only to other Skype users right?

kevinkar

Reaction score
Will it work calling America from England on Wifi? Only to other Skype users right?
That's the way it's supposed to work. It's just an application like a web browser that works over the internet. Pretty simple stuff. So, given two people with the Skype application installed, it should work just fine from GB to the US.

modisch

Reaction score
Also, video and voice chat integrated into gtalk is being rolled out by google.

http://mashable.com/2011/04/28/android-video-chat/

It is hitting the Nexus S first but will be rolled out to 2.3.x phones, presumably when the provider/manufacturer choose to. So, it isn't an immediate solution... That would ber the full skype app or a sip-based app/service. But it is something to look forward to.

-m

{ DroidX «» Liberty 2.0.1 «» TapaTalk }

SjLucky

Reaction score
My dad has Skype. He is currently in Honduras. I am in Mississippi. We talk Skype-Skype a good bit. Up until recently I couldn't use my 3G to make Skype calls. Maybe I'm stupid or couldn't figure out how but I had to be on wifi to make it work. (the calls not the app) Since the latest update I can now use 3G to make the calls.

Heres the thing, and maybe its just me, I never liked "Carrier Branded Apps" such as the Skype that came with my DX. It was one of the first things I took off. Then my Dad got rid of his Vonage at his house and asked if I could use skype. I got it from the market and everything has been gravy (with the exception stated above which was fixed).

I hope my experience helps you out in some way.

eurosteve

Reaction score
I downloaded the full app for Skype and it did connect on Wifi. No one I will need to call has Skype but I will have them download it if this words. Will it work calling America from England on Wifi? Only to other Skype users right?

You can call any phone using Skype. You buy minutes to "skype-out." I've called from Italy to the US. Call quality was amazing! It's a couple of cents per minute.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums