Voice to Text since Jellybean update

guitarluvr213

Reaction score
Just did the jellybean update last week and it does have some nifty features. However since the update, ive been trying to utilize the voice command and voice to text option as I learned speed dial is no longer an available feature (unless there's a fix to this that someone knows of). When i use the voice to text feature since the update, its now horribly inaccurate. Before i never had many issues with it, it was always at least 90% right with inputting what i said. now, id say its 30% right. Ive gone through the voice input options and cant seem to find anything that could "fine tune" it. And ive been using the voice to text with dead silence around me, no radio on, windows in the car are up so theres no reason for it to misinterpret what i said. Again, keeping in mind it worked just fine on ICS. Any suggestions?

NeoPhoenixTE

Reaction score
Before JB, your phone had adapted to your voice and mannerisms. Google's kinda clever like that, letting their voice recognition software learn like this. Problem is, with JB, they're using an entirely new engine. This means that all that adaptation it had done is re-set, even if you didn't do a factory reset. Now it has to learn your voice all over again, which is going to take time.

Make sure that you have it set to learn. Settings > Language & Input > Voice Search > check "Personalized Recognition" (second from the bottom)

I believe they're storing the adaptation data with your Google account now, so hopefully your phone won't have to learn how to understand you in the future. Just keep talking to your phone. It will learn how to understand you the more you use it. I also recommend not using Bluetooth devices while doing this because you never know just what the heck your phone is hearing. Can't go giving it the wrong idea. :p

shaislet

Reaction score
Droid 4 voice recognition

The voice recognition seems to be working poorly. I've had Personalized Recognition selected for a few days but can't seem to get anything to connect or respond properly.

Voice command does a much better job at connecting and recognizing contacts, as well as personalizing voice recognition pattern.

Is there anyway to displace Google voice with Voice Command on Droid 4. Google Voice is a huge bummer as far as hands free effectiveness goes.

Ideally I would be able to select which app the phone uses for the phone portion of the phone. Previously it gave a choice but now Google has locked in.

Any help is appreciated. As well, if rooting is the answer to allow this sort of manipulation, I may consider it. I just haven't had reason thus far but this might just do it.

audinutt

Reaction score
The voice recognition seems to be working poorly. I've had Personalized Recognition selected for a few days but can't seem to get anything to connect or respond properly.

Voice command does a much better job at connecting and recognizing contacts, as well as personalizing voice recognition pattern.

Is there anyway to displace Google voice with Voice Command on Droid 4. Google Voice is a huge bummer as far as hands free effectiveness goes.

Ideally I would be able to select which app the phone uses for the phone portion of the phone. Previously it gave a choice but now Google has locked in.

Any help is appreciated. As well, if rooting is the answer to allow this sort of manipulation, I may consider it. I just haven't had reason thus far but this might just do it.

My post here specifically addresses the voice commands choices and the Google now hijack of contacts/voice dialing.
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ice-dialing-i-found-fix-jb-google-dialer.html

Last edited: