texting with voice search problem

tdelon

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
With previous versions of voice search I've been able to say "send text to Joe" and a text window pops up with Joe in the to field and the cursor waiting at the message field. A microphone would be on the right side and I could click it and dictate a text message. With ICS voice search I say "send text to Joe" or "text to Joe" and "to Joe" appears in the message field and the to field is blank. I can say "send text" and a blank text message pops up ready to be used but that's as close as I can get. Typing in the "to" field does pop up the correct contact rather quickly so it is searching my address book but it's not inputting contacts using voice. I can say "message to self, blah blah blah" and it mails it off so voice search is working sort of. Sending texts without typing is a great feature, can it be fixed? Did a FDR and cleared caches as well as defaults on voice search just in case it might help. Didn't change anything.

I expect an update will be required to fix this, can someone recommend an alternative that allows voice to texting that can be used on the road with ease?

CaGaPeach

Reaction score
With previous versions of voice search I've been able to say "send text to Joe" and a text window pops up with Joe in the to field and the cursor waiting at the message field. A microphone would be on the right side and I could click it and dictate a text message. With ICS voice search I say "send text to Joe" or "text to Joe" and "to Joe" appears in the message field and the to field is blank. I can say "send text" and a blank text message pops up ready to be used but that's as close as I can get. Typing in the "to" field does pop up the correct contact rather quickly so it is searching my address book but it's not inputting contacts using voice. I can say "message to self, blah blah blah" and it mails it off so voice search is working sort of. Sending texts without typing is a great feature, can it be fixed? Did a FDR and cleared caches as well as defaults on voice search just in case it might help. Didn't change anything.

I expect an update will be required to fix this, can someone recommend an alternative that allows voice to texting that can be used on the road with ease?

Same problem here. Voice Commands doesn't work as well with ICS.

jch81

Reaction score
when you click the voice search say who you want to send the message to and say the message all in one command. dont wait for the box to pop up after you say who you want to send it to

CaGaPeach

Reaction score
when you click the voice search say who you want to send the message to and say the message all in one command. dont wait for the box to pop up after you say who you want to send it to

I've tried everything many times. If I say, "send text" to xxx and keep talking, all the typing goes under the message: field and the To: field is left blank. If I say only "send text to xxxxxx" it still goes under "message" and nothing is in the To: field.

All of these contacts are in my phone and all of them are currently in a text conversation stored on phone.

CaGaPeach

Reaction score
Say text xxxx then continue with the message.

Still no luck, it all goes to "message." I'm having other issues, too, with Google Navigation. That problem is being addressed more on Moto's forum as I didn't get any help here where I prefer. Thanks for trying. I'll report when issue is fixed. May just need a factory reset, but I'll wait till it's confirmed that I need to do that.

cramblock

Reaction score
I am having this exact problem. no matter what I do, everything I say including who I want the text to go to it ALL goes into the message body.... laaaaaaammmeeee

Exalted911

Reaction score
check under options and make sure you have the language set properly.

jaybogg

Reaction score

This has been discussed previously and no solution ever found (that I'm aware of). Seems it only affects some phones, others say theirs work fine. .211 OTA, .215, rooted, stock, it seems indiscriminate in who has the problem. Last time we discussed it, I looked at the video from moto touting this feature and did the exact same syntax that the video used and no luck. Exact same results as you have.

Other commands such as "call" does a google search for recipient instead of my searching the "people" app, and if I am not quick enough, I will be dialing a doctor in Chicago, lawyer in New York, or whoever google thinks is the best match for the search term "Stephen", "John", or whatever name I am trying to call. This is all with stock apps. Frustrating, now I use the voice search just for internet searches, as this seems to be the one thing it always wants to do anyways. Please post if you find a solution, I've given up!:angry:

cramblock

Reaction score
Lol jaybogg. I have the same problems. The phone searches elsewhere instead of my contacts when I use the voice call feature :(

LizMall

Reaction score
Same problems

I'm having the same problems with texting and searching noted above. Seems like it shouldn't be that difficult. Anyone know of a reliable app to work around this? I downloaded "Assistant" but it is still a multistep process to enter text message, recipient and send. (I should add...I have an LG Spectrum. But my husband's new Razr Maxx has the same issues.)