Voice Dial

Deuel

Reaction score
I can't believe this thread isn't jumping! This was a real "deal breaker" for many, causing phone returns. Maybe the thread should be renamed.

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
I can't believe this thread isn't jumping! This was a real "deal breaker" for many, causing phone returns. Maybe the thread should be renamed.

I agree, should be changed and sticky'd.

People see "Voice Dial" and assume it is another complaint thread about the lack of proper HF voice dialing and skip it.

gloster

Reaction score
I was very disappointed BT voice dialing wasn't addressed in the 2.0.1 update.

While the camera button work around is nice, I am still counting the days until I can touch my BT headset button and say "call home"

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
I was very disappointed BT voice dialing wasn't addressed in the 2.0.1 update.

I agree.

While the camera button work around is nice, I am still counting the days until I can touch my BT headset button and say "call home"

I do that now, my BlueAnt Q1 BT Headset has internal voice speed dialing and it works perfectly with the Droid.

Thermionics

Reaction score
HOLY CRAP!!! Thanks!!!

I just downloaded the Voice Dialer HF and the Button program .. AND now my Droid is out of the dark ages!!

BTW, contrary to the instructions about it not working with BT headset (have to use speaker then it connects to head set) is WRONG. My BlueAnt Q1 works flawlessly with it and TOTALLY Handsfree!! All I do is long press my Camera button and the Voice Dialer starts prompting me in my Headset!!!

SWEET!!!!

Wow. But not working for me in terms of prompts coming through the headset.

I wonder if the Bluetooth success you're having with prompts coming back to the headset, once you've initiated the program, is dependent upon the BlueAnt Q1. I am using the latest model Jawbone and I don't get prompts through it, but the audio does switch after the call is dialed. I've set it up as you have with the Button app. as well so....

If the BlueAnt is the solution to getting this to work, I'll buy one right away, as the function you are getting is worth the price of admission.

Is there any way to verify this - like do you have another headset to try?

If anyone else tries this with a different headset please reply with positive or negative results.

Essex

Reaction score
so with this program how do i set it up to work on the long press camera? that just seems to open up the camera for me.

Also how is this different from the voice dialer application that came with the phone?

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
HOLY CRAP!!! Thanks!!!

I just downloaded the Voice Dialer HF and the Button program .. AND now my Droid is out of the dark ages!!

BTW, contrary to the instructions about it not working with BT headset (have to use speaker then it connects to head set) is WRONG. My BlueAnt Q1 works flawlessly with it and TOTALLY Handsfree!! All I do is long press my Camera button and the Voice Dialer starts prompting me in my Headset!!!

SWEET!!!!

Wow. But not working for me in terms of prompts coming through the headset.

I wonder if the Bluetooth success you're having with prompts coming back to the headset, once you've initiated the program, is dependent upon the BlueAnt Q1. I am using the latest model Jawbone and I don't get prompts through it, but the audio does switch after the call is dialed. I've set it up as you have with the Button app. as well so....

If the BlueAnt is the solution to getting this to work, I'll buy one right away, as the function you are getting is worth the price of admission.

Is there any way to verify this - like do you have another headset to try?

If anyone else tries this with a different headset please reply with positive or negative results.

Try undating the firmware on your Headset, is seems most of the later firmware supports "media audio".. in other words if you can listen to your music on your BT headset you will hear the voice prompts, if you can't(hear music) you won't.

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
so with this program how do i set it up to work on the long press camera? that just seems to open up the camera for me.

Also how is this different from the voice dialer application that came with the phone?

Too funny, go back to the posted link on page 1 and read the instructions, the button change program is a seperate app called Button Shortcut.

The difference between the native vocie dialer is dramatic. This one actually understands you and so far has nailed every request without giving an "option" list like the native dialer. AND this one gives you voice confirmation and all you do is say yes instead of taping the screen again etc.

BIG difference.

tbever

Reaction score
I just downloaded and installed this app. GREAT WORK! This pretty much eliminates any nagging regrets over ditching my blackberry 8830! I agree this is basic functionality that should be incorporated into the OS.

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
If you didn't get it, be sure to get "Button Shortcut" to remap your camera button for this app (or another if you like). FYI, It doesn't affect the camera button when the camera app is open. Neat program and I was looking for something like that from day 1 of being assimilated into the Droid collective.

chart

Essex

Reaction score
I guess that's what i get for looking at this in 2:00 in the morning.

Thanks for guiding me in the right direction. seems to work really great :)

micp1480

Reaction score
I can't get this program to dial any of my contacts. I hate this program, and wasted my money.
\

MICP1480

Thermionics

Reaction score
Works great for me.

Not sure what issues you're having but it works well for me.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would believe that to be totally hands free you push a button on your headset to get the prompts, not a remapped camera button, just a thought.

But in any case, nice find with the Q1 ... But the issue of BT HF is one of Android, not specifically the Droid.

If not addressed in 2.1 I'm sure they are looking at it, it just has to be coded ...

cvondra

Reaction score
Am I the only nard that can't find HF in the Marketplace and the bar code from the dev's website fails to find it as well?

Last edited: