Virtual Steve Jobs Gets Kicked in the Face in New Optimus Pad Promo Video

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
How does this negate my opinion that it's a lame commercial? There's better ways to get your point across...I might just be a little more mature than others (not to pat myself on the back or anything haha)

I don't know that the commercial is lame or ineffective, but the Jobs bit had nothing to do with the point of the commercial. Nevertheless it was effective in generating additional eyeballs, which is sort of the idea.

Again...are you supposing that the mac v pc commercials weren't employing the same strategy? Or blocking an android app in the app store wasn't trying to draw attention? Yet, why were those things so outrageous and cult-like?

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
Looks promising...hopefully it's A LOT cheaper than the Xoom, and doesnt have those dumb activation restrictions...

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
dude chill......if you are going to make a statement you cant cry when people challenge it....and im not saying your crying just chill the f out

I'm just posting on a forum, man. Not sure why you're thinking it's anything beyond that.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
LOL, why is my opinion always attacked? I don't get it. Do I have to agree with you because you're a mod? Cuz I don't. It's a lame commercial and you'd think that if it was apple doing this to android...kind of like how you bought up mac vs pc in your last post...

no one said you had to agree with me. Nor do I take offense that you don't.

... nor did I say the MAC v. PC commercials were lame... just pointing out the proof you asked for.

I'm not attacking you at all. Relax.

It's not just Android/Apple that attack. It's any market selling any product, it's just the way it is.

Right. And my point is, that everyone here finds this hilarious, but when Apple blocks an android app, they're a cult. See where I'm going? If it's "just the way it is", why is it when Apple does it it's just outrageous? Again, I understand this is droidforums.net, but how do people not see how "sheep"-ish they are when they turn around and do the same thing to Apple that they claim apple does to them?

They didn't block an app, they prohibited any app to use/mention the word "Android" in the name, description etc. Just seems extreme. But if you draw a parallel between that and the Steve Jobs kick, then I see where you're coming from.

... but as you mentioned, just as you don't have to agree with me, I also do not have to agree with you.

I'm not gonna disagree with you that Android has it's 'sheep' moments, because it does.

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's an add you either like it or you don't. If you do like it that does not mean a child or childish & if you don't enjoy it then you are not doomed to wadded panties. To constantly overattenuate is to be transparent.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
side note... everyone has the right to their opinion, and they don't have to be agreeable... but let's not let this turn ugly. I'd like to be able to keep this thread open for everyone :)

not pointing toward anyone, just a general statement.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
looks promising...hopefully it's a lot cheaper than the xoom, and doesnt have those dumb activation restrictions...

+1 truth!!!

that 1,100 price tag that showed up for the Xoom on BB's website quickly disappeared as well.

Should hopefully see a price point around 800 for the Xoom... which is still too much IMO, but it'll be interesting to see this devices price. I'd venture a guess that it'll be ballpark with the rest of the tablets coming.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
no one said you had to agree with me. Nor do I take offense that you don't.

... nor did I say the MAC v. PC commercials were lame... just pointing out the proof you asked for.

I'm not attacking you at all. Relax.

It's not just Android/Apple that attack. It's any market selling any product, it's just the way it is.

Right. And my point is, that everyone here finds this hilarious, but when Apple blocks an android app, they're a cult. See where I'm going? If it's "just the way it is", why is it when Apple does it it's just outrageous? Again, I understand this is droidforums.net, but how do people not see how "sheep"-ish they are when they turn around and do the same thing to Apple that they claim apple does to them?

They didn't block an app, they prohibited any app to use/mention the word "Android" in the name, description etc. Just seems extreme. But if you draw a parallel between that and the Steve Jobs kick, then I see where you're coming from.

... but as you mentioned, just as you don't have to agree with me, I also do not have to agree with you.

I'm not gonna disagree with you that Android has it's 'sheep' moments, because it does.

Ok, I thought it was just that android newsapp that they blocked or something. Maybe I had it wrong. Completely disallowing the word android in any app is a little extreme, if that's what they did. And that's not comparable to the Steve Jobs kick obviously.

I guess what I'm saying is being fair goes a long way. It just seems hypocritical and childish to say Apple is a cult or childish for doing a mac vs pc commercial (not saying that what you said) but then saying this commercial was hilarious.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I do see where czer is coming from. If this was an iPad2 ad and it had steve jobs kicking andy the android in the head, the backlash here would be widespread. Now I think either way the ad's are fine. The best of taste, maybe not, but the ad's aren't that bad or disrespectful. It only gets frustrating to deal with when people turn a blind eye to one side doing this and bash the other for doing the same exact thing.

BTW I literally envisioned Steve Jobs doing a roundhouse kick in his signature black turtleneck, it was pretty funny.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Ok, I thought it was just that android newsapp that they blocked or something. Maybe I had it wrong. Completely disallowing the word android in any app is a little extreme, if that's what they did. And that's not comparable to the Steve Jobs kick obviously.

I guess what I'm saying is being fair goes a long way. It just seems hypocritical and childish to say Apple is a cult or childish for doing a mac vs pc commercial (not saying that what you said) but then saying this commercial was hilarious.

Apple Bans 'Android' from App Store Descriptions | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Apple Bans the Word 'Android' From App Store - PCWorld

Apple Bans the Word 'Android' From App Store - PCWorld

It was an Android Magazine App that was banned and garnered most of the attention so you're not off base their.
I have never attempted to verify if the word "Android" exists any where in the App Store so I can only go with what I've read.

.... the short of it, I can see your frustration with the double standard that arises... both sides have their moments. While I don't believe Android users are at the same level of iPhone users, the disparity in some opinions does exist.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Again...are you supposing that the mac v pc commercials weren't employing the same strategy? Or blocking an android app in the app store wasn't trying to draw attention? Yet, why were those things so outrageous and cult-like?

Yes, and the mac vs. PC commercials are effective, and funny. And the humor in this case isn't even a central part of the ad. More like a - what's the term? - easter egg?

Not to mention, it's apples to oranges as this isn't Google making an Android ad attacking IOS. Then if you want to talk fear/insecurity, blocking an app that would make it more convenient to access content on the competition is, again, a better example.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I do see where czer is coming from. If this was an iPad2 ad and it had steve jobs kicking andy the android in the head, the backlash here would be widespread. Now I think either way the ad's are fine. The best of taste, maybe not, but the ad's aren't that bad or disrespectful. It only gets frustrating to deal with when people turn a blind eye to one side doing this and bash the other for doing the same exact thing.

BTW I literally envisioned Steve Jobs doing a roundhouse kick in his signature black turtleneck, it was pretty funny.

Yeah that's exactly what I was saying, thanks for wording it better for me haha. Everyone here can say "Yeah if Apple did this I'd find it hilarious too", but the point is apple hasn't done this, and I really don't believe we'd have a post here talking about how great Andy getting roundhouse kicked in the iPad 2 commercial was:

"Great Job Steve, that was an awesome commercial!!"...um, no chance that would happen. It would be more like "These apple sheep are scared of android, and this just proves it. Android is number one!!!"

And yes, Steve doing a roundhouse with the turtleneck would be pretty funny.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I mean, who cares of Apple, or anyone is offended? Last I checked the Bill of Rights, we had free speech. But we don't have a right to not be offended. LOL

So what the hell, it was funny seeing a cartoon of Jobs getting donkey-punched in the head.

super way to live your life there, I mean not caring about how other people feel is certainly the right way to do things........

At the end of the day, why live my life by how I think other people might feel?

What about how I feel? Why are someone else's feelings more important than mine? And if they are, then wouldn't my feeling matter more than their's, when the roles are reversed?

Obviously I am not talking about extreme's where you never care how anyone feels ever. I am saying that when humor is involved, someone, somewhere will probably find a reason to take offense, and IMHO, that's their problem. You cannot live your life being afraid of offending someone.

Nobody seems to worry about offending me. ;-)

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

both sides clearly have their faults. I agree it's ignorance to believe differently.

... but they're just commercial everybody, enjoy them, hate them, but move on :)