Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net

Hey folks,

ive been to the german COmputer & Entertainment expo "CEBIT"
and got my very first hands on a german Motorola Backflip runnin 1,6

It was nice from the looks, but MotoBLUR made it real laggy. I
didnt have much time, but enjoy with me!

:icon_ banana:

[video=youtube;L8G962B0U58]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8G962B0U58]YouTube - First Hands on the Motorola Backflip[/video]

P.S.: it might take a while to see the clip, i just uploaded!

Tigger

Droidfish

Reaction score
Thanks Tigger, looks interesting. Definitely a funky design I think I might be able to get used to. Motoblur is essentially just widgets you can remove, right? I've never tried it but it looks like something I would ditch immediately.

It does seem laggy too, does anyone know what kind of processor this has? I couldn't find it on the moto web site.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Yeah MotoBlur wasn't running to smooth on it and that was on a fresh boot.

Other than that what are your initial impressions on the device. Weight, feel etc etc

Thanks Tigger

bastosero

Reaction score
Thanks Tigger, looks interesting. Definitely a funky design I think I might be able to get used to. Motoblur is essentially just widgets you can remove, right? I've never tried it but it looks like something I would ditch immediately.

It does seem laggy too, does anyone know what kind of processor this has? I couldn't find it on the moto web site.

No, Motoblur is an interface on top of the Android OS. It might contain widgets specifically for that interface, but it's not just a widget.

Droidfish

Reaction score

No, Motoblur is an interface on top of the Android OS. It might contain widgets specifically for that interface, but it's not just a widget.

I guess I'm just wondering if users will have the option of bypassing motoblur to use android the way I do now on my droid.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm just wondering if users will have the option of bypassing motoblur to use android the way I do now on my droid.

Not likely until the Devs root it and cook some custom ROMs. In the past OEMs have always made their UIs mandatory on the phones they are included on (i.e. you can't 'turn them off').

And DAM... over a min for boot (granted the last 10 secs are the Blur BS, but still). Guess I'm spoiled with Pete's ROMs (full boot in 30 secs or less).

XMasterMoronX

Reaction score
when it gets released, buy it while you can

apple might sue because the front screen and speaker positioning looks exactly like the Iphone

XMasterMoronX

Reaction score
cant edit posts?

it looks nice, but not sure how easy it would be to destroy the keyboard. and doesn't it bring back the horror of pocket dialing?

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
cant edit posts?

it looks nice, but not sure how easy it would be to destroy the keyboard. and doesn't it bring back the horror of pocket dialing?

Only Mods and Admins can edit posts in the News forum.

I'm not sure about the pocket dialing but could see the keys getting torn up easily enough. Also not sure I like the idea of 'flipping' after using the sliders for so long. Though it will enable different viewing angles which is nice (LOVED that feature on my Tilts).

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
nice video... man, that phone is laggy ;)

Nerf

Reaction score
My GF and I played with it at CES in Jan. for a while and it definitely wasn't this laggy. Yes, it was 1.6 and yes, it was running Motoblur. The phone seemed pretty solid, but I'm not a big fan of this new form factor.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score

It has a 528MHz Qualcomm MSM7200A with 256MB of RAM and 512MB of ROM, according to PDAdb. Looking at the spec sheet, it is approximately as powerful as the processor in the Droid Eris (MSM7600, which I believe is a CDMA variant of the 7200A - the CPU and GPU cores seem the same)

In my opinion, it is a bit underpowered for a new device, but this seems to be a lower-end device, so it's not out of the ordinary. Unfortunately, looking at the video, it seems to perform about as well as my Motorola Droid underclocked to 250MHz (actually, the app drawer lag was about like my Droid at 125MHz).

I also find the completely exposed keyboard to be a horrible idea, the keys are not protected at all. I have a strange feeling these phones won't last long in people's pockets.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
My GF and I played with it at CES in Jan. for a while and it definitely wasn't this laggy. Yes, it was 1.6 and yes, it was running Motoblur. The phone seemed pretty solid, but I'm not a big fan of this new form factor.

Go figure... a demo at a show like CES had been optimized to impress people, this surprises you why?? The window (and other reviews that are coming out) are 'otb'/as is. Even our Droids are not great otb, especially compared to one running a custom (i.e. optimized) ROM. Don't think for a second the OEMs don't do the same for press events ect.

OP
RinTinTigger

RinTinTigger

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Yeah MotoBlur wasn't running to smooth on it and that was on a fresh boot.

Other than that what are your initial impressions on the device. Weight, feel etc etc

Thanks Tigger

Te other impressions where just fine. Weight is OPTIMAL! The fold-mechanism is stable like the droid's slider, the Keyboard is a blast when compared to the droid's.

If this phone would just be as fast as the droid, and running 2.1 instead of 1.6,
it would be a NEW KILLER.....would be....