Verizon's Motorola Droid DOES include MultiTouch and Pinch & Zoom

monkeyboy383

Reaction score
Maybe I'm too "free spirited" or something, but I don't believe there should be copyrights on things like pinch to zoom. How can you copyright a gesture? I can understand copyrighting the program or OS that has that capability, as long as a person or company isn't copying that line of code from the OS or program. It reminds me of voice dialing. That's an amazing feature that hasn't been copyrighted to my knowledge. Its just accomplishing an action through a gesture, which in that case is a vocal gesture. Yet just about every cell these days has it, so my point for this whole thing is WHATS THE BIG F***ING DEAL (yea, I'm talkin to you government & Apple)

Penguissimo

Reaction score
Maybe I'm too "free spirited" or something, but I don't believe there should be copyrights on things like pinch to zoom. How can you copyright a gesture? I can understand copyrighting the program or OS that has that capability, as long as a person or company isn't copying that line of code from the OS or program. It reminds me of voice dialing. That's an amazing feature that hasn't been copyrighted to my knowledge. Its just accomplishing an action through a gesture, which in that case is a vocal gesture. Yet just about every cell these days has it, so my point for this whole thing is WHATS THE BIG F***ING DEAL (yea, I'm talkin to you government & Apple)

I think in this case, Apple is claiming patent protection (rather than copyright protection) on multitouch; as for the reason they can get away with it, the U.S. Patent Office hasn't ever demonstrated a sophisticated understanding of modern technology :(

monkeyboy383

Reaction score
My bad, you're probably right. Substitute copyright for patent, but still... shame on Apple & Gov for allowing a monopoly of sorts on just about anything.

Purgatory

Reaction score
and the problem is that the US is the only country to recognize software patents. Europe won't touch software. I am sick and tired of all of these vague patents that people are able to apply for. It used to be that if you applied for a patent, you would have to document exactly how it worked, and that was what was patented.

billyray

Reaction score
RE; Verizon's Motorola Droid DOES include MultiTouch and Pinch & Zoom

Hi,

this feature is very good and it will also increase the sales of the phone and the people will love the future added in the phone.:icon_ banana: :icon_ banana: :icon_ banana:

Thanks.

subDroid9

Reaction score
Hey Guys and Gals,

If you download "Dolphin Browser" from Market, it does the pinch and zoom very well also. Not as smooth as the iPhone, but still very good. I only use this and not the default browser now. Very cool ... :icon_ banana:

jhpk13

Reaction score
Moto Droid pinch zoom

Not sure how or when it happened but as of this morning I can pinch zoom in my defualt browser on the motorola droid.
I also have dolphin installed but I checked I was using the defualt browser.
Motorola droid 2.1.
Anyone else see this?

SnoDrtRider

Reaction score
Not sure how or when it happened but as of this morning I can pinch zoom in my defualt browser on the motorola droid.
I also have dolphin installed but I checked I was using the defualt browser.
Motorola droid 2.1.
Anyone else see this?

It's part of the 2.1 update... Browser, Gallery and Maps have pinch/zoom.

Reaction score

It is odd but my stock browser does still doesn't have pinch/zoom but the new photo gallery and maps do. (Got the 2.1 last week.) I use X-Scope, so it is not an issue. I'm curious to know if having the X-Scope, which has the pinch/zoom, somehow is part of the reason mine doesn't work with the regular browser. Even if it did, I'd still use X-Scope though.

StupidGenius

Reaction score

It is odd but my stock browser does still doesn't have pinch/zoom but the new photo gallery and maps do. (Got the 2.1 last week.) I use X-Scope, so it is not an issue. I'm curious to know if having the X-Scope, which has the pinch/zoom, somehow is part of the reason mine doesn't work with the regular browser. Even if it did, I'd still use X-Scope though.

My default is XScope, but I still have Pinch/Zoom in the 2.1 stock browser. There's likely another issue.

Reaction score
My default is XScope, but I still have Pinch/Zoom in the 2.1 stock browser. There's likely another issue.

Just checked more than the initial google search page and it does work on other pages, just not on the default google search page. The same page works with p/z on the X-Scope though. It is odd. :motdroidhoriz:

BagMan

Reaction score

Just checked more than the initial google search page and it does work on other pages, just not on the default google search page. The same page works with p/z on the X-Scope though. It is odd. :motdroidhoriz:

Doesn't work on mobile formatted pages. Switch to classic.

easye

Reaction score

Doesn't work on mobile formatted pages. Switch to classic.

Wait, how do you do this?

And Pinch/Zoom, yesss. One more reason iPhone can suck it