Verizon's Motorola Droid DOES include MultiTouch and Pinch & Zoom

Reaction score
Try xScope. It has multi-touch (both pinch and zoom and pin-zoom, which is better to me). Also has a clean (though admittedly basic) interface. But it should be skinned by tomorrow.

Thanks for the recommendation! I bought the app and it is just what I was looking for. Quick and the pinch/zoom works perfectly too.:motdroidvert:

jstwondrng

Reaction score
I just read that article as well about the Nexus One... WTH? Did Verizon forget about us already? Um, what's up with 2.1? Hope we get multi-touch as well

jstwondrng

Droidist

Reaction score
It's a software update. I really don't see why we wouldn't get this, LOL! It's only a matter of when now...:icon_ banana:

imnot2sure

Reaction score
nice find.......:icon_ banana::icon_ banana: i love it already and im going to put it on my killer droid now....:icon_ lala: dont know u dan but keep up the sweet work man....:hail::hail::hail::hail:

WolfNRose

Reaction score
LOL... you guys are fast...

I was just about to post my own video of PicSay showing the absurdity of "no multitouch on the droid" when I found this thread... Ah well, didn't waste all that much time shooting it...

BTW: from a programming standpoint, the "zoom" effect on screen (which you KNOW you can get with a double tap?) is CPU intensive, but "detecting" two points for multitouch is a) handled in hardware and b) can't take more than a couple clock cycles to process. Claims that the Droid doesn't have enough horsepower for MT doesn't make ANY darn sense -- it's like saying you're not grapefruit enough to score a touchdown in golf.

I'm glad more people are slowly understanding the difference between hardware being able to "feel" two fingers and software actually choosing to do something with it once it gets TWO (or more) points...

One amusing effect on non-MT touchscreens was that they picked the strongest X/Y single point, even if those were't actually pressed by the same finger... If you pressed carefully at about the same pressure with two fingers at a diagonal, you could make the cursor register the perpendicular vertex as the chosen single point when one axis was just a little more sensitive than the other. If that explanation didn't make sense, you can tell if MT is supported in hardware by pushing upper-left and lower right, and seeing if the cursor sometimes "sees" a single point in one of the other corners (taking the X from one finger and the Y from the other). Droid and IPhone screens don't ever do that, because the hardware isn't fooled and reports it to the app layer correctly as two points, which the app then may ignore the second of or use it.

OK, back to answering other absurdities everyone else already has... LOL...

monkeyboy383

Reaction score
it's like saying you're not grapefruit enough to score a touchdown in golf.
You're my new hero, lol. I have to finish reading the rest of this thread, but just thought I’d give credit where credit's due. I seriously don't understand why neither google nor motorola hasn't taken advantage of this marvelous multi-touch feature our hardware has. google for not incorporating it into many of the apps and features of the android 2.0 OS... and motorola for not beating google mercilessly for not unleashing this hardware's (and OS's) potential as an "out of the box" feature. I’m mad at verizon too, but i'm gonna be nice to them since they're just the carrier... and i'm gonna tell myself that they had absolutely no input in the phone as far as OS features and such until the very end (which I sincerely doubt is true). don't get me wrong, I love this phone, best smartphone i've owned yet (original helio ocean, BB curve, & BB Tour)... but its aggravating when you have an amazing piece of technology and a huge group of often pompous iphone users taunting you with it... I’m just gonna stop now before I get any more redundant and angry

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Now that I'm using some of the stock apps from the Milestone, I have multitouch with Google Maps, the stock Gallery, and the stock Browser. I think we can put this myth to rest.

destinydmm

Reaction score
Is there a way to get those milestone apps on the droid without rooting?

Purgatory

Reaction score
Is there a way to get those milestone apps on the droid without rooting?

You do not need to be rooted anymore to have multi-touch on the google maps application with the newest update they put out today.

I will say i am disappointed by how slow it is and un-fluid. On the iphone I was able to zoom into any level, not predefined levels that the app had for me, so I am not sure this makes it any easier actually. Once they make it more fluid and enable you to zoom into any 'level' you want to, not predefined ones, I will be a LOT happier (but at least this is a step in the right direction).

destinydmm

Reaction score
Yea I know on maps its not necessary but how about the gallery and browser. Root needed?

destinydmm

Reaction score
Yea I know on maps its not necessary but how about the gallery and browser. Root needed?

Nevermind . . . . . CUZ I'M ROOTED!!! LOL:icon_ banana::icon_ banana::motdroidvert::icon_ banana::icon_ banana:

cb2000a

Reaction score
No the Motorola does not do pinch to zoom....nothing here to see Apple....move on....