Verizon wireless discounting familiy plans for smartphone users

TBV

Reaction score
Alright, this thread is a mess so let me make sure I have this straight.

If I do not have an upgrade available on my main line I am not eligible for this? If I already have a smartphone on my primary line I am not eligible for this?

I am so very confused. Has this promotion officially started yet or no?

The promo is relative only to smartphones that will be activated on secondary lines, so no, your primary line would not be eligible to take advantage of this promo being that it does not have an eligible upgrade, and it happens to be the primary line.

The only time a primary line is involved in this promo is when the primary line is eligible for an upgrade, and said upgrade is used to get a smartphone for one of the secondary lines on the family share (that is what is referred to as a alternate upgrade).

The promo starts today, Nov 19th.

Codiusprie

Reaction score

If I do not have an upgrade available on my main line I am not eligible for this? If I already have a smartphone on my primary line I am not eligible for this?

The promo is relative only to smartphones that will be activated on secondary lines, so no, your primary line would not be eligible to take advantage of this promo being that it does not have an eligible upgrade, and it happens to be the primary line.

The only time a primary line is involved in this promo is when the primary line is eligible for an upgrade, and said upgrade is used to get a smartphone for one of the secondary lines on the family share (that is what is referred to as a alternate upgrade).

Thank you very much.

sam5828

Reaction score

That's not how it was explained to me last night. Because I just added a line with a smartphone and I have a droid on my main line already she said it is only for the primary line and you cannot have a smartphone on at all right now. It is to get people that don't have a smartphone now to get one.

TopJo

Reaction score
If you add or upgrade a line to your family plan and get the 29.99 data package for the first time on that new/upgraded plan you get the 9.99 credit.

mcharl02

Reaction score

I've been considering getting a smartphone for some time now... and I've only just started to read forums/blogs and have been hearing about these new Verizon promotions incentivizing data plans...

However, is there no way that someone in my situation can benefit?

I am the primary line of a 4-line family plan. Currently, none of the 4 lines have data packages. We all have 'normal'/'low end' phones.

My 2-year contract is up in February. I would like to get a smartphone and the $29.99 data package... However- it seems like Verizon isn't offering any incentive to someone like me. A person without a data package who is also the primary line user.

Is this truly the case? Or am I missing something? Wouldn't it be better on Verizon's end too if they could ensure I stayed on with them after February as a smartphone user? (Though I guess I don't know what would happen if I didn't sign another contract as the primary line in the family plan.. would it just shift to someone else?)

spider210

Reaction score
If u already have a smartphone and upgrade to a smart phone u will not get the promo. U have to upgrade from a non smartphone to a smartphone and do not change the data package . Must be 29.99 data plan and phone cannot be changed or you lose discount. New lines 29.99 data will get the $10 monthly discount for 2 yes as long they don't change the data to $15 package and they do not take the phone off .

Not sure how they will handle this if u have a doa,fru or clnr....

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

_33

Reaction score
We called last night about this... they said there no such promo and there is no plan on them having it. This is what we have...

Primary is a Voyager which is upgrade ready, no data plan now.

Line 2 Droid, not due for upgrade, has unlimited data plan.

Line 3 Dare, upgrade ready, no data plan.

Line 4 Voyager, upgrade ready, no data plan.

The lady told us it will be 30.00 per line for data and 5.00 per line for unlimited texting. So, my wife is now shopping around to possibly move those 3 lines to another provider. Sucks, I like VZW, but times are tight and the data is needed on the other 3 lines.

Anyone know what the ETF would be on mine with a year left? :-(

mcharl02

Reaction score
If u already have a smartphone and upgrade to a smart phone u will not get the promo. U have to upgrade from a non smartphone to a smartphone and do not change the data package . Must be 29.99 data plan and phone cannot be changed or you lose discount. New lines 29.99 data will get the $10 monthly discount for 2 yes as long they don't change the data to $15 package and they do not take the phone off .

Not sure how they will handle this if u have a doa,fru or clnr....

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Yeah, that's how I understand the deal. But I'm disappointed that there appears to be no incentive for me to go to a smartphone. Like I said, I'm the primary account user and I currently have an Env2 with no data package.

TBV

Reaction score
Additional info

In case anyone was wondering: "What if I already have a smartphone on that secondary line, but change the ESN to an old non-smartphone I have laying around, then go in and upgrade to another smartphone...won't that qualify?"

A non-smartphone must be on the line for at least 30 days before if qualifies for the promo. TBV

Reaction score
It's all a waste anyway. It doesn't really save much. You still have to pay $30 a line for the data/internet. You save a whopping $10 over the previous plans which really weren't that great a deal or that much better than 2 individual plans. I came out better with 2 individual plans then I would have for the same price on a family plan because I had more minutes per plan than I would have with a family plan. When they FINALLY do a family plan that has family Minutes AND data I'll be happy.