Verizon will be losing me as a customer

cratylus

Reaction score
I actually like 99.99% of Verizon's service.

I really like my Razr Maxx.

I'm exactly the kind of guy they want. I'm a professional with more money than time, willing to pay reasonably for good service.

I pay for the 4gb per month plus tethering. Works great in the USA. When I travel international, they want to charge me something like $25 per 100mb roaming, and I'm sorry, that's not reasonable, so I pop in a local SIM and enjoy comparable service for gigs of data usually for less than $50. This was actually specifically why I selected this phone.

Interestingly, I couldn't use hotspot tethering on a 3rd party SIM because the phone wanted to check in with Verizon for entitlement validation, and it couldn't. But I could tether with bluetooth, and that was exactly and perfectly fine. Remember, I pay for the tethering option.

But...new OS update rolled out a coupla weeks back. I didn't think anything of it til I traveled for work again last week and discovered they had gimped bluetooth tethering also if you weren't on a Verizon SIM. I understand why they did this. People were freeloading on the tethering, and they are a business and needed to put a lid on it. Fine, so be it.

But, they'll be losing me as a customer. I'm not rooting the phone. If I can't legitimately do what I paid for, they just lose exactly the kind of guy that they want. Maybe a few hundred megs international is all some people need, but that's not how I roll, I need to use a local SIM and plow through the internets there as I would at home.

So, probably going T-Mobile and Galaxy S4. Sorry, Verizon. It's just one of those things, nobody's fault. Maybe we can both learn from it.

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
So, probably going T-Mobile and Galaxy S4. Sorry, Verizon. It's just one of those things, nobody's fault. Maybe we can both learn from it.

-Best thing about free enterprise.

-Good luck with your transition!

jacobbones

Reaction score
Better test out the t-mobile service first.

I want to leave verizon as well, but in reality they have a reliable newtwork for my area. Other people I know who use the other carriers are always having alot of trouble getting a signal.

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
Better test out the t-mobile service first.

I want to leave verizon as well, but in reality they have a reliable newtwork for my area. Other people I know who use the other carriers are always having alot of trouble getting a signal.

-This is a valid point.

-I live in an area that regularly gets hit with hurricanes. Verizon is the only one that maintains the same level of service here during a storm.

OP
C

cratylus

Reaction score
Went Nexus 4. T-Mobile coverage is indeed rather disappointing thus far. I may wind up just scaling back my Verizon subscription rather than cancelling it entirely.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
There are a few tethering options in the play store that do not require root. Did none of them work?