Can I do this on a T-Mobile S4?

cratylus

Reaction score
As I explained in a post elsewhere in this forum:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ve...n/244238-verizon-will-losing-me-customer.html

I need to be able to use a 3rd party SIM card when traveling internationally, AND also tether my phone while on that SIM card. This is something I can no longer do with my Verizon Razr Maxx, so I'm looking to switch.

I like that T-Mobile is month-to-month.
I like that the S4 seems to be able to accept foreign SIMS.

What I don't know is whether T-Mobile's version of Android needs to connect back with the T-Mobile mothership for tethering entitlement checks. If so, then I'm in pretty much the same boat with T-Mobile as with Verizon.

Does anyone here know whether I can tether on a Samsung Galaxy S4 from T-Mobile while using a 3rd party SIM?

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
The SIM dictates the network and is even more independent from the device than it was with Verizon. So I don't see how you could tether using T-Mobile's network if you have another network's SIM in the phone. It should completely depend on the network that you're using when traveling.

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You should be able to tether when using a foreign sim, as long as the foreign sim card had a data plan linked to it.

Sent from the Nexus Galaxy.

OP
C

cratylus

Reaction score
The SIM dictates the network and is even more independent from the device than it was with Verizon. So I don't see how you could tether using T-Mobile's network if you have another network's SIM in the phone. It should completely depend on the network that you're using when traveling.

I didn't mean to imply that I wanted to tether using T-Mobile's network while outside the country using another SIM. That strikes me as an impractical goal.

What I meant was, does T-Mobile gimp your phone like Verizon does, in order to prevent you from tethering while using another service's SIM.

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If your rooted tether isn't a problem. It won't matter who's network your on. You would be able to tether. As for Verizon not allowing you to tether when a foreign simple is in the phone, that just sounds impractical. They can't prevent you from using features of the phone and another carriers services on your device while it is connected to another network.

Beamed From the white sun in the S4 Galaxy.

Last edited:
OP
C

cratylus

Reaction score
"As for Verizon not allowing you to tether when a foreign simple is in the phone, that just sound system impractical. They can't prevent you from using features of the phone and another carriers services"

They can, and do. For me to get around it, I'd have to root the razr, thus voiding my warranty, etc. I asked the T-Mobile salesperson in the store whether it would void my warranty if I did something like that with a T-Mobile phone, and she assured me that it would. I said "Well then I'm better off just buying my own Nexus from Google, right?" And she agreed, so I did.

Worked great :)

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
"As for Verizon not allowing you to tether when a foreign simple is in the phone, that just sound system impractical. They can't prevent you from using features of the phone and another carriers services"

They can, and do. For me to get around it, I'd have to root the razr, thus voiding my warranty, etc. I asked the T-Mobile salesperson in the store whether it would void my warranty if I did something like that with a T-Mobile phone, and she assured me that it would. I said "Well then I'm better off just buying my own Nexus from Google, right?" And she agreed, so I did.

Worked great :)

Phones like the Razr Maxx can be rooted and unrooted. Yes it voids the warranty but once you unroot they have no way of knowing if the phone was rooted.

Beamed From the white sun in the S4 Galaxy.