Verizon update

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
It’s lookin’ like an update week for Verizon customers who own one of a handful of phones. Starting today and tomorrow, the Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge, LG V20 and G6, and Moto Z2 Play and Moto Z Play will all see new software.

At this time, Verizon hasn’t exactly updated all of the support pages for each phone and has only given us dates, so we’ll have to update it as we learn more. The one we do know everything about is the LG V20, which is supposed to get an update today (11/20) and it includes the November security patch. My guess is that that’s what all of the phones are getting too. The updates for the other phones are scheduled to begin rollout tomorrow, November 21.

UPDATE: Alright, so we’ve got new builds and changelogs to go with them. The Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge are getting the November 1 security patch, along with the KRACK WiFi fix. The Moto Z2 Play and Moto Z Play are also getting the November 1 security patch, but the older Z Play is getting Verizon’s AppFlash software too (it’s bloatware and you should uninstall it). The LG G6 is getting the October 1 security patch.
New Verizon software updates:

Samsung Galaxy S7: G930VVRU4BQK2
Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge: G935VVRU4BQK2
LG V20: New software version VS99518A
LG G6: VS98813A
Moto Z2 Play: NDSS26.118-23-15
Moto Z Play: NDN26.118-23-12-3

On a related note, this is the first update for the LG G6 on Verizon since August 1, which means that phone is still on July’s security patch. If you ever wonder why we prefer Google’s phones so much for updates, this would be a good example.

Again, we’ll update these as we know the new software builds. For those who own the phones, feel free to check for updates tomorrow!

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Thanks for the update TxDoc. . I assume the Moto Z and Z Force will receive the same update as the Z Play.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
TxDoc

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
I'm not sure. Every time I assume, well you know what happens to me.

More info from Verizon

Moto Z Play Droid Edition Software Update | Verizon Wireless

Moto Z Play Droid Edition Software Update

Verizon Wireless is pleased to announce a software update for your device. This software update has been tested to optimize device performance, resolve known issues and apply the latest security patches.

Before you download:

Connect your device to a Wi-Fi network, or make sure it has a strong Verizon Wireless network connection.

Ensure your battery is fully charged before starting the software update.

collapse
Current Software Update Benefits
Software Version: NDN26.118-23-12-3

Android Security Patch Level: 2017-11-01

AppFlash App

AppFlash is a faster way to discover and use mobile apps.

Find restaurants, movies, games, and music and get app recommendations to make reservations, read reviews, buy tickets, watch movies and more.

AppFlash connects users to apps and instantly allows users to try an app before installing it. No download required.

To enable and use AppFlash:
Press and hold an empty space on your Home screen
Tap Settings in the bottom right corner
Tap Swipe Access
Tap AppFlash
After enabling AppFlash it is conveniently located on the side screen. Simply swipe right and you're ready to go.

Next steps and additional links:

Please allow additional time for the apps on your device to continue to download after the software update.

If for any reason this software update doesn't fully download, our Software Upgrade / Repair Assistant tool can provide immediate self-serve troubleshooting guidance.
Operating System FAQs
Check out the latest Verizon offers for Motorola devices and upgrade to a newer Motorola smartphone. Not sure if you're eligible to upgrade yet? Find out fast in My Verizon.

Updated: 11/21/2017

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Sounds like I'm definitely going to disable App Flash. Thanks Verizon, but I will pass on that one.

OP
TxDoc

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
If you don't enable it, are you okay? Meaning does it enable itself,?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
It sounds like it's something that's enabled by default, but not always On unless you follow the steps in your post. I'm notn100% sure. I'm sure it's safe and will not harm our phones, just doesn't sound like something I will use.
The new update is installing on my wife's Z Play now, but nothing for my Z Force. It will probably roll out to us soon.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Did some quick reading about AppFlash and it sounds like it's Verizon's version of Google Now, Assistant, etc. You can set it to replace the Google Now screen on our phones and it's supposed to do things similar to Google Now / Assistant. Some folks might like this and find it very useful, others may prefer Google Now / Assistant.

AppFlash FAQs | Verizon Wireless

OP
TxDoc

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
Right now, in happy with the Google Now, I mean II have complaints as it seems to have new very accurate and helpful to me. So I'll either not activate, or deactivate.the Verizon version.

Thank you for your research.
Have a HAPPY Thanksgiving

OP
TxDoc

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
You can't delete AppFlash from your device, but it's easy to disable it.

There's 2 ways to disable AppFlash:

In the app:
Tap the Settings icon in the lower left corner of the screen.

AppFlash Gear icon

Under "Configuration", tap Disable AppFlash.

AppFlash configuration text

Scroll down to "AppFlash" and tap or the slide the switch to OFF.
The switch will change from green to gray.
AppFlash slider to turn off app
In your device Settings:
From your Home screen, tap Settings.

Device settings gear icon

Scroll down and tap Home screen.

AppFlash text and icon for home screen

Scroll down to "AppFlash", then tap or slide the switch to OFF.
The switch will change from green to gray.

OP
TxDoc

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
I don't even show appflash as an installed app. When I follow the instructions above:

"Scroll down and tap Home screen.

AppFlash text and icon for home screen"

I see nothing. Meaning, I don't see Home screen. Only reference to appflash I sees is..under Google play store, it shows an update is available.

So, I'm a little confused

On edit...in the play store reviews, it's received terrible reviews including high data usage, irreversible changes to the settings, etc.

On edit edit....OMG ...If you find a empty spot on a screen. Long press, but settings, and swipe access, there you have a choice of Google feed, appflash or nothing.

Last edited:

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Those instructions didn't work for me either @TxDoc. So I disabled it the old fashioned way. Settings > Apps > Show System Apps > found AppFlash in the list and tap > Disable

OP
TxDoc

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
Those instructions didn't work for me either @TxDoc. So I disabled it the old fashioned way. Settings > Apps > Show System Apps > found AppFlash in the list and tap > Disable

I never knew about finding System Apps, before. You taught me something new Sajo!
That was a big help and greatly appreciated. A Black Friday special, indeed!

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I never knew about finding System Apps, before. You taught me something new Sajo!
That was a big help and greatly appreciated. A Black Friday special, indeed!

Always handy to also disable all the Verizon bloatware that came with your phone

Sent from my Moto Z (2)

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Looks like the security update is finally rolling out to the Z Force. And FYI for other Z Force users, like the Z Play, this update adds the new AppFlash app. I Disabled it on my phone, but others may like it & find it useful.

Last edited: