Verizon to Expand Network on July 19th; 4G LTE Coverage To Grow in Several Cities

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
verizon-lte-map-july2012.jpeg

Verizon is not slowing down now with their 4G LTE network expansion plans. They just announced that on July 19th they will expand and/or add coverage in parts of New York, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Kansas, and Missouri. Here's a full list:

New 4G LTE markets launching July 19:
  • McPherson, Kansas
  • St. Joseph, Missouri
4G LTE markets with expansions:
  • New York
  • Albany
  • Altamont
  • Amherst
  • Berne
  • Binghamton
  • Brant
  • Brunswick
  • Buffalo
  • Cicero
  • Clay
  • Clifton Park
  • Coeymans
  • Cohoes
  • Cortland
  • Delanson
  • Delmar
  • Dunkirk
  • Galway
  • Knox
  • New Hartford
  • Niagara Falls
  • North Collins
  • Port Crane
  • Saratoga Springs
  • Schenectady
  • Sullivan
  • Syracuse
  • Tioga
  • Utica
  • Westerlo
  • Whitesboro
  • Kansas
  • Andale
  • DeSoto
  • Gardner
  • Lansing
  • Leavenworth, including Fort Leavenworth
  • Newton
  • Highway 96 north of Andale
  • Missouri
  • Ash Grove
  • Blue Eye
  • Buffalo
  • Dearborn
  • Emerald Beach
  • Holt
  • Kearny
  • Peculiar
  • Platte City
  • Rogersville
  • Shell Knob
  • Trimble
  • Walnut Grove
  • Pennsylvania
  • Elkland
  • Massachusetts
  • Rutland
Source: VZW

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I saw several Verizon towers being worked on in the Modesto, CA area. I am SO hoping they will be expanding the market there so we get better signal in Turlock, CA. Got my S3 and I get 11mb down but the upload is fubar. It freezes and jumps all over but rarely ever goes over 1mb upload. I was hoping it was my wife's Thunderbolt doing it, but nope, its just the signal. Then again, its not much better in Modesto either.

roboots21

Reaction score
I've had spotty 4G in Berkshire County (namely Pittsfield and Great Barrington) in Massachusetts. It's on it's way, and I can't wait for it to be good to go!

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Walnut Grove.... well at least we know everyone who was in Little House On The Prarie will soon have 4G....

What's funny is, there is actually an episode when the phone was first invented it and they had it in Walnut Grove, but ended up tearing down all the poles because it caused to much trouble then it was worth, especially with Mrs and Nellie Oleson eavesdropping on calls.. :)

Yes, it's sad that I know this...

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
Here we go again. I'm not going to get excited. It never makes it to SNJ. I'll believe it when I see it. Until then I'll stick with my wifi besides it uses less battery.

Sent from my HTC Rezound infused with ice cream goodness using Droid Forums.

Grady

Reaction score
What does "with expansions" means? Existing 4G areas will be improved upon? For example, my city just got 4G back in April and it's very spotty. I honestly have more time connected to 3G than I do 4G. Does "with expansions" mean they will expand on the radius of the 4G?

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
Here we go again. I'm not going to get excited. It never makes it to SNJ. I'll believe it when I see it. Until then I'll stick with my wifi besides it uses less battery.

It will eventually I'm sure...heck I get 4g at my parents house now (albeit spotty) but its pretty much in the middle of nowhere
And as for WiFi, do you get download/ upload speeds like this consistently on your wifi?
46c205c1-b09a-a8ae.jpg

What does "with expansions" means? Existing 4G areas will be improved upon? For example, my city just got 4G back in April and it's very spotty. I honestly have more time connected to 3G than I do 4G. Does "with expansions" mean they will expand on the radius of the 4G?

Yes, with expansions means they are expanding the coverage area by upgrading more towers further away from the city center

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
metalspring said:
It will eventually I'm sure...heck I get 4g at my parents house now (albeit spotty) but its pretty much in the middle of nowhere
And as for WiFi, do you get download/ upload speeds like this consistently on your wifi?

Yes, with expansions means they are expanding the coverage area by upgrading more towers further away from the city center

Here are the speeds I'm getting with Comcast wifi. I was testing something that morning. That's why I have so may tests so close together. Comcast is saying that they are increasing their speeds on their top two tiers. I think we are on their second one. I can't wait to see what that'll be like.

ForumRunner_20120710_190331.png

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
Here are the speeds I'm getting with Comcast wifi. I was testing something that morning. That's why I have so may tests so close together. Comcast is saying that they are increasing their speeds on their top two tiers. I think we are on their second one. I can't wait to see what that'll be like.

View attachment 52711

those arent too bad at all, the wifi around here sucks (time warner mainly) so 4g is a huge step
also if you happen to get good signal on 4g speeds tend to be more around 20-30+ mbps download and like 15-20 upload

at any rate im sure you'll see 4g eventually, verizons overall goal is replacing 3g entirely with 4g and launching voice over lte to slim down all the radios needed in phones

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
metalspring said:
those arent too bad at all, the wifi around here sucks (time warner mainly) so 4g is a huge step
also if you happen to get good signal on 4g speeds tend to be more around 20-30+ mbps download and like 15-20 upload

at any rate im sure you'll see 4g eventually, verizons overall goal is replacing 3g entirely with 4g and launching voice over lte to slim down all the radios needed in phones

Yes, wifi at home is excellent but here at work wifi is slow. And 3g is very weak and slow both at work and home. I was using 4g at my sis-in-laws house the other day and that was fast but it sucked down my extended battery pretty quick. I just got a laptop because my desktop is dying. Now I might have a reason to root my Rezound and hold onto my unlimited data...tethering.

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes, wifi at home is excellent but here at work wifi is slow. And 3g is very weak and slow both at work and home. I was using 4g at my sis-in-laws house the other day and that was fast but it sucked down my extended battery pretty quick. I just got a laptop because my desktop is dying. Now I might have a reason to root my Rezound and hold onto my unlimited data...tethering.

dont need root to tether, try foxfi in the play store

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
metalspring said:
dont need root to tether, try foxfi in the play store

I'll check into it but I think I remember something about it not working on HTC phones. I'll find out.

Reaction score
Where I live 4g is spotty in local areas buy cities fine. I bet new Hampshire will be one of the last to to be totally covered which I doubt verizon will have all 3g spots 4g

jayman350

Reaction score
just had to reboot my phone after lunch, to my surprise i have a pretty blue 4G LTE icon in my notification bar! I've had 4G at home since I got the Bionic, but not having it at work sucked. now I just hope it stays on and isn't just VZW messing with me

edit: just went to show my buddy here at work, someone else came up while we were talking asking why he didn't have 4G....i had to let him down easy and tell him its b/c he has an iphone :) which of course lead to the whole "i thought the iphone4/s had 4G?"

Nealius

Reaction score
4g has been turned on in ne pa south of Hazelton
Thank you big red !