Verizon to Expand Network on July 19th; 4G LTE Coverage To Grow in Several Cities

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Jul 10, 2012.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

Verizon is not slowing down now with their 4G LTE network expansion plans. They just announced that on July 19th they will expand and/or add coverage in parts of New York, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Kansas, and Missouri. Here's a full list:

New 4G LTE markets launching July 19:
    • McPherson, Kansas
    • St. Joseph, Missouri
    4G LTE markets with expansions:
    • New York
    • Albany
    • Altamont
    • Amherst
    • Berne
    • Binghamton
    • Brant
    • Brunswick
    • Buffalo
    • Cicero
    • Clay
    • Clifton Park
    • Coeymans
    • Cohoes
    • Cortland
    • Delanson
    • Delmar
    • Dunkirk
    • Galway
    • Knox
    • New Hartford
    • Niagara Falls
    • North Collins
    • Port Crane
    • Saratoga Springs
    • Schenectady
    • Sullivan
    • Syracuse
    • Tioga
    • Utica
    • Westerlo
    • Whitesboro
    • Kansas
    • Andale
    • DeSoto
    • Gardner
    • Lansing
    • Leavenworth, including Fort Leavenworth
    • Newton
    • Highway 96 north of Andale
    • Missouri
    • Ash Grove
    • Blue Eye
    • Buffalo
    • Dearborn
    • Emerald Beach
    • Holt
    • Kearny
    • Peculiar
    • Platte City
    • Rogersville
    • Shell Knob
    • Trimble
    • Walnut Grove
    • Pennsylvania
    • Elkland
    • Massachusetts
    • Rutland
    Source: VZW
  2. johnomaz

johnomaz Well-Known Member

I saw several Verizon towers being worked on in the Modesto, CA area. I am SO hoping they will be expanding the market there so we get better signal in Turlock, CA. Got my S3 and I get 11mb down but the upload is fubar. It freezes and jumps all over but rarely ever goes over 1mb upload. I was hoping it was my wife's Thunderbolt doing it, but nope, its just the signal. Then again, its not much better in Modesto either.
  3. roboots21

roboots21 Member

I've had spotty 4G in Berkshire County (namely Pittsfield and Great Barrington) in Massachusetts. It's on it's way, and I can't wait for it to be good to go!
  4. Shadez

Shadez Super Mod/News Team Staff Member Premium Member

Walnut Grove.... well at least we know everyone who was in Little House On The Prarie will soon have 4G....

What's funny is, there is actually an episode when the phone was first invented it and they had it in Walnut Grove, but ended up tearing down all the poles because it caused to much trouble then it was worth, especially with Mrs and Nellie Oleson eavesdropping on calls.. :)

Yes, it's sad that I know this...
  5. LoudRam

LoudRam Well-Known Member

Here we go again. I'm not going to get excited. It never makes it to SNJ. I'll believe it when I see it. Until then I'll stick with my wifi besides it uses less battery.

Sent from my HTC Rezound infused with ice cream goodness using Droid Forums.
  6. Grady

Grady New Member

What does "with expansions" means? Existing 4G areas will be improved upon? For example, my city just got 4G back in April and it's very spotty. I honestly have more time connected to 3G than I do 4G. Does "with expansions" mean they will expand on the radius of the 4G?
  7. metalspring

metalspring New Member

It will eventually I'm sure...heck I get 4g at my parents house now (albeit spotty) but its pretty much in the middle of nowhere
    And as for WiFi, do you get download/ upload speeds like this consistently on your wifi?
    [​IMG]

Yes, with expansions means they are expanding the coverage area by upgrading more towers further away from the city center
  8. LoudRam

Here are the speeds I'm getting with Comcast wifi. I was testing something that morning. That's why I have so may tests so close together. Comcast is saying that they are increasing their speeds on their top two tiers. I think we are on their second one. I can't wait to see what that'll be like.

ForumRunner_20120710_190331.png

9. metalspring

metalspring New Member

those arent too bad at all, the wifi around here sucks (time warner mainly) so 4g is a huge step
    also if you happen to get good signal on 4g speeds tend to be more around 20-30+ mbps download and like 15-20 upload

at any rate im sure you'll see 4g eventually, verizons overall goal is replacing 3g entirely with 4g and launching voice over lte to slim down all the radios needed in phones
  10. LoudRam

Yes, wifi at home is excellent but here at work wifi is slow. And 3g is very weak and slow both at work and home. I was using 4g at my sis-in-laws house the other day and that was fast but it sucked down my extended battery pretty quick. I just got a laptop because my desktop is dying. Now I might have a reason to root my Rezound and hold onto my unlimited data...tethering.

11. metalspring

metalspring New Member

dont need root to tether, try foxfi in the play store
  12. LoudRam

I'll check into it but I think I remember something about it not working on HTC phones. I'll find out.

13. droidbionicmaster

droidbionicmaster New Member

Where I live 4g is spotty in local areas buy cities fine. I bet new Hampshire will be one of the last to to be totally covered which I doubt verizon will have all 3g spots 4g
  14. jayman350

jayman350 New Member

just had to reboot my phone after lunch, to my surprise i have a pretty blue 4G LTE icon in my notification bar! I've had 4G at home since I got the Bionic, but not having it at work sucked. now I just hope it stays on and isn't just VZW messing with me

edit: just went to show my buddy here at work, someone else came up while we were talking asking why he didn't have 4G....i had to let him down easy and tell him its b/c he has an iphone :) which of course lead to the whole "i thought the iphone4/s had 4G?"
  15. Nealius

Nealius New Member

4g has been turned on in ne pa south of Hazelton
    Thank you big red !
  16. geoff5093

geoff5093 New Member

The map in the OP is really old.
  17. N4UPD

N4UPD New Member

My local verizon store told me that they should be here in about 3 weeks to start upgrading towers to 4g. But bitter sweet as I was also told that my alltel card that has unlimited 3g data will soon be turned off next march because they are shutting down the alltel network.Will not probably change to a verizon device unless I could get like a double data say 20Gigs for $80.
  18. geoff5093

geoff5093 New Member

I was surprised at how fast they were bringing 4G to New Hampshire, back in May every other day they were improving coverage somewhere. Although there hasn't been any new or expanded 4G areas in New Hampshire since early May (except one town in June). Vermont is getting quite a bit of 4G coverage though.
Search tags for this page

verizon network down july 2012

verizon network in missouri
verizon towers down in pa july 19th