Verizon Strikes again with New Droid Ads

RoLa

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a way to clear the existing data/apps and start a fresh backup?

Rollingbones

Reaction score
A few days ago someone who works for Best Buy posted that Best Buy was placing Droid on the nedangered species list as it were. Of course some were worried about Droid was on its way out. BALDERDASH!!! The ads show that Droid is dtrong and that it still does...
If Best Buy wants to flush a working thing down the hopper... OH WELL!!! Best Buy won't anymore while Droid still does....

Wraith

Reaction score
Like it. I admit....I still have my "Droid" notification on.

unix.punkx

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wow, possibly the best commericals so far I have seen for this phone. Makes the pipeline surfing ad look like garbage

superglen99

Reaction score
I like the new phrase at the end. When there's no limit to what Droid gets, there's no limit to what Droid does. YES!

mrnachocheese

Reaction score
Verizon needs to stand behind the droid the same way at&t stands behind the iphone. Great ads too by the way!

mju1030

Reaction score
My sides still hurt!

These commercials seriously put AT&T to shame. Who at AT&T thought it was a bright idea to simply have Luke Wilson standing in front of some chart looking like a confused Doberman, spouting off meaningless facts in the hopes of converting one or two gullible customers?

My mom finally turned in her probably 6+ year old flip phone from the dark ages and got a new BB Curve and moved cities where the reception absolutely blows so she's going to be dropping AT&Lame and going to Verizon. Better get to work Luke! :)

OMG you nailed it! I literally was gasping for air at your description of Luke Wilson as a confused Doberman. I can't breathe! ^5 Sweettooth!

BTW-- the new commercials blow that iPhone ad out of the water--the nightmare one where some iMom takes video of her precious kid waddling and inflicts it on everyone she knows and then traps them in a mandatory adore fest in a mass phone call hostage situation.:icon_eek:

ytwokc5

Reaction score
Verizon needs to stand behind the droid the same way at&t stands behind the iphone. Great ads too by the way!

If there really is any truth about the IPhone coming to Verizon they are going to have to stay out of the Droid ads that call out the IPhone's shortcomings.

JoDroid

Reaction score
Found this interesting today:

April 08, 2010 3:11 PM
Huge Verizon ad account changing hands

Dentsu-owned McGarryBowen's success with Droid launch helped it net more of Verizon Wireless' business; leaving New York office of McCann Erickson out of the loop.

By Rupal Parekh, AdAge.com
The New York office of McCann Erickson is set to lose a huge piece of its blue-chip Verizon account to McGarryBowen, several executives familiar with the matter said, and McCann's Verizon Fios business has been thrown into review.

The exit of Verizon Wireless is a devastating setback for the marketer's longtime agency of record and one that could affect numerous staff positions at the Interpublic Group of Cos. network. Meanwhile, it remains to be seen whether McCann can hang onto the Fios account, estimated at more than $300 million in billings. A "jump ball" pitch between McCann, Dentsu-owned McGarryBowen and possible other agencies is said to be imminent—and a last chance for McCann to hold onto the Fios business.

Two people familiar with the situation estimated that the revenue attached to the combined Verizon Wireless and Fios business is "in the neighborhood of $20 million to $30 million" and if both were to depart, it would lead to staff cuts of at least "double-digits."

McCann representatives referred calls to Verizon. Representatives for Verizon did not return e-mails by press time, and a call to John Stratton, marketing chief for Verizon's wireless business, was not returned. Several McGarryBowen executives also did not return requests for comment.

Several other roster shops, such as Interpublic's R/GA and MRM Worldwide, do not appear to be affected by the shift, and some, like Interpublic shop Erwin-Penland, might stand to add more business as part of the moves. Agency representatives couldn't immediately be reached for comment or declined to comment.

The blow to McCann, New York, follows Verizon's decision last September to reach beyond the shop to give McGarryBowen responsibilities for the launch of the Droid phone. That assignment amounted to nearly $100 million in billings.

For McGarryBowen, which Ad Age named its 2009 Agency of the Year, the Droid assignment meant the return to Verizon's agency roster. The shop opened in 2002 with Verizon as its founding client, but the business was later yanked as the telecom looked to pare down the number of marketing partners in its employ.

That Verizon is now handing more business to McGarryBowen is a sure sign the marketer was pleased with the results of the Droid launch. Analysts estimate sales of 600,000 units at the end of 2009.

It's unclear what the moves mean for McCann's status on other portions of the Verizon account, like Verizon Communications and Verizon Business. The loss comes as McCann's New York office for the past six months has been run by Thom Gruhler, global account director of the Verizon Wireless business. That move was widely seen as a Catch 22: On the one hand it was a play that demonstrated the value of the account to the agency, but many said it took Mr. Gruhler's concentration off of Verizon and placed it on other business.

Verizon is the No. 2 national advertiser, according to AdAge, with a domestic-marketing budget of $3.7 billion in 2009. The company represents one of Interpublic's five largest clients.

According to estimates, Verizon now has some 90 million subscribers, double what it was in 2004. Its most recent campaign from McCann is the "Maps for That" push that broke in October 2009, kicking off a mobile provider war between Verizon and rival AT&T, which filed a lawsuit in federal court claiming Verizon's ads were misleading.

More recently, Verizon has been making headlines for reportedly scoring a major coup with Apple, which has finally agreed to drop AT&T as the exclusive carrier of its iconic iPhone and introduce a version of the handset for Verizon. That handset, expected to ship next fall, would end the three-year lock AT&T has had on the iPhone in the U.S.

One burning question is how the iPhone could affect Verizon's efforts for Droid, which it has spent the past year and significant marketing dollars touting as an alternative to the iPhone.

Verizon is reportedly also the carrier for a much-rumored "social-networking" phone from Microsoft code-named "Pink," for which more details are expected to be unveiled Monday.

shanonsison

Reaction score
pipeline surfer commercial was terrible. i live and surf on the north shore of OAHU and that was not even the real bonzai pipeline they showed the guy surfing. just terrible.

hope these new ones are better

crashtheholy

Reaction score
amazing

This ad campaign has been one of the reasons why I bought the phone. Great work with minimal at&t bashing

crackedvenom

Reaction score
havent seen them on tv yet, but love em. hope to see them soon. and i agree with a previous poster, the last line is just awesome..

When there's no limit to what Droid gets, there's no limit to what Droid does.