Verizon Samsung Note 4 software update

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just received a minor software update, still on 5.0.1 Lollipop, anyone know what this update fixed or broke, lol.
Screenshot_2015-07-14-13-31-07.png

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
I just got the update. Wish I'd come here before I agreed. I just assumed (well hoped) it was 5.1 to fix the battery leak but apparently not. I sure hope there was more fixes than what the listed at Verizon as that is a downgrade to me. Was sort of surprised to see I had 373 apps that were upgrading! The 5.0.1 update took my battery usage from almost 2 days to a little over 1.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I just got the update. Wish I'd come here before I agreed. I just assumed (well hoped) it was 5.1 to fix the battery leak but apparently not. I sure hope there was more fixes than what the listed at Verizon as that is a downgrade to me. Was sort of surprised to see I had 373 apps that were upgrading! The 5.0.1 update took my battery usage from almost 2 days to a little over 1.
My self and others just did FDR 'S after the latest update and it seems to be much better.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
My self and others just did FDR 'S after the latest update and it seems to be much better.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
I think I need to do an FDR .....I'm having Bluetooth and WiFi issues. My note just randomly disconnects at random times....it's annoying!

sent from my fabulous Note 4♡

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think I need to do an FDR .....I'm having Bluetooth and WiFi issues. My note just randomly disconnects at random times....it's annoying!

sent from my fabulous Note 4♡
Try a cache wipe before fdr. It's faster and less painful afterwards. If it doesn't work then, yeah, an fdr might be the solution.
Since lollipop every week or so I do a cache wipe and my battery life, bugs, and lags just go away again. Starts acting stupid again and I do another wipe. It takes about 10 seconds longer than a reboot

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
Wasn't there a memory leak issue originally in 5.01? I remembered something about that and almost didn't let it install. I was hoping this one was the long awaited 5.1 update but once again Verizon is behind the curve. I saw that Sprint was now pushing it so maybe someday there is hope...

Reason I remembered this was the discussion on needing the do cache wipe so often. Sounded like that old problem a bit to me. I'll try it and see if it improves after I give this update a chance. Lost 12% overnight but it did do 5 app updates during the night.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
12 percent is a lot. I'm on 5.0.1 on my Note Edge and it only loses 3 percent overnight. I don't charge at night so that I can maintain my battery cycles to my preferences.

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
I wish I only had a 12% drop while off the charger. I can send/receive a dozen texts or so and see a 12% drop in a few hours every morning.
Did the cache wipe, and 2 fdrs. No help...

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note4 using Tapatalk

OP
cybertec69

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
The problem with the Note 4 is TW, it's a complete resources HOG, I own both the Note 4 and Nexus 6, both have the same hardware and the Nexus 6 runs circles around the Note 4, which is unacceptable for Samsungs flagship phablet. I typed this using my Nexus 6, which has been a joy to use, and a breath of fresh air from the abomination that is TW.

Fuchueson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note 4
Twitter
mc_morris
I really wish I would have found this a day ago. I looked but only saw the April update thread... :confused:

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
The problem with the Note 4 is TW, it's a complete resources HOG, I own both the Note 4 and Nexus 6, both have the same hardware and the Nexus 6 runs circles around the Note 4, which is unacceptable for Samsungs flagship phablet. I typed this using my Nexus 6, which has been a joy to use, and a breath of fresh air from the abomination that is TW.

I wouldn't say "run circles around". There are countless unbiased reviews online in which the reviewer chooses the Note 4 over the Nexus 6 simply because the Note 4 offers so much more in the way of usable features, brighter display, better camera, etc. While TW isn't for everyone, it certainly isn't the "hog" it once was.

S5 tap'n

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
I went from a Galaxy Nexus to the Note 4 which was my first real experience with TW. At first it drove me crazy with the actual home button but mostly with them reversing the back and apps buttons. I'm used to that now but it still makes no sense to me as back was always on the left. There are still times when TW gets in my way trying to do something but other tasks seem much easier. I bought a Samsung tablet to replace my Nexus 7 (original) mainly because I was now used to their interface. Only thing that drove me crazy was the 16gb built in memory which is far from adequate. Without the microSD the tablet would be useless. Samsung's best feature is that it supports external drives natively so I no longer have to use stick mount and root.