Verizon Rolling Out New 6 Strikes Anti-Piracy Policy; Throttles Offenders to 256kbps

acousticshade

Reaction score
Don't pirate copyrighted material. Then big red will not 'get you'. I wonder if people gather around and discuss possible ways to knock off a bank or make crystal meth when they never intend to do those things. Aside from the security/privacy concerns being brought up, it seems like this thread is bordering on that. Just my two cents.

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
so basicly if i download a cd from a torrent site like piratebay, vzw will see that? and no way around that?

No. VZW sees that you were using their connection at a particular time with a particular IP address.

The company that owns the copyrighted material browses the torrent and sees who is downloading it. They see a particular IP address at a particular time and ask VZW what's going on.

VZW sends you a letter to knock it off.

They are not "getting you", you are stealing. You are "getting" yourself.

HellRain

Reaction score
If "renew" doesn't give you a different IP (mine always changes) then instead of typing "renew" then type "release" at the command prompt and that forces a new IP

Incorrect. Tonik is correct in saying that ISPs lease an IP to a user for a certain amount of time. 24 hours or 48 hours or something to that effect. If that IP remains connected and in use at the end of the lease it will renew the lease and you'll keep the IP address.

Ipconfig /release and /renew will just renew that same lease unless you release it near the end of the lease and then wait for the lease to expire and then renew it.

So, if you really wanted a new IP address doing it this way, you'd pretty much have to unplug your modem for 24 hours or 48 or so until the lease expires at the ISP. You can release and renew it all you want, and 99.9% of the time you will get the exact same ip.

UNLESS:
The MAC address of the device connected to the modem changes when you reboot the modem. EG: If you plug a different device to the modem (thus having a different MAC address) and reboot the modem, that will give you a brand new IP.
Or, with 3rd party firmware on your router such as dd-wrt, you can spoof the MAC address of your router (change the MAC address) and reboot your modem and you'll get a new IP address.

Either way though, this is pointless because ISPs keep track of what device (MAC address) was using a particular IP at any given time. So as long as the complainant has an accurate time of when the user was sharing copyrighted works, the ISP will be able to narrow it down to whatever device was using that IP address at that time.

Options:
Don't share copyrighted works
Use private sites with small communities thus decreasing your chances of RIAA / MPAA pursuing that sites' users
Leech from a central server (thus not sharing)

mermaldad

Reaction score
Not balanced at all

I disagree strongly with the OP when he states that this is a balanced approach. The only balance here is between Verizon and the MPAA/RIAA. For consumers it's either a loss or at best a neutral. First, each of these strikes occurs when a rights holder *reports* an infringement. There is no investigation, no defense. You are guilty. There is an appeal process, for which you must pay $35 to try to prove a negative. One only needs to look to the statistics related to the DMCA to see that false accusations are common, so I find it hard to believe that this system will be any different.

I don't pirate. I feel that the major labels/studios are just as guilty as many pirates, having legally "stolen" works from the public domain by buying congressmen and pushing through copyright term extensions, but I won't stoop to their level. I get my music from independent labels and bands who actually want a relationship with their customers/fans.

This seems like a fairly balanced approach for the industry to figure out a way to "police" copyright violations...

Dadmech

Reaction score
Enterprise Network sniffing tools/probes at their towers. Verizon has the money..

I should hope so! With the obscene amounts we have to pay every month, they should have enough money to do what ever they want, regardless of whom they're watching.... :eek:hmy::eek:hmy::eek:hmy:

escomm12

Reaction score
A matter of opinion

sadpiratebaby.jpg

This news isn't directly related to Android stuff, but it is a Verizon story, and it pertains to their internet service, which is likely important to all of their users. A recent leak reveals the details of a new Anti-Piracy Policy that Verizon plans to implement in the near future. This new policy has apparently been developed in concert with the MPAA and RIAA to follow the US based Center for Copyright Information (CCI) guidelines.

This new policy seeks to do several things. First, it will prove as both an early warning system and educational awareness for folks who are violating copyright laws. Additionally, on the back-end, it will help Verizon and any other parties involved to create a trail of evidence to gather for any potential lawsuits against offenders. This new policy will be a 6 strikes procedure. Here's a quote with the details,

This seems like a fairly balanced approach for the industry to figure out a way to "police" copyright violations, but there is one caveat. This new policy will also apply to businesses. This basically means coffee houses, hotels, fast-food restaurants, apartment complexes & other small businesses can also find themselves subject to these rules. This would mean they have to figure out a way to enforce these rules on their free WiFi connections. That could be a daunting task. What do you guys think?

Source: BGR

I'm surprised that the big red giant as put something in our devices already. Thus giving them the capability to track whatever they wish. After all, big brother is alive and well in our every day lives as it is, why not in our cellular network? I'm in agreement with some of the posts, in that the small business owners that offer free wifi will suffer the most damage, if the carriers come after them. They (the small business owners) have no way of knowing who is abusing their networks, do they? I only wish that cities out there would jump on board and install city wide wifi for all to use, free. Then again, maybe they've tried and the carriers have shut them down, due to loss of data revenue. I'm a long time subscriber to Verizon, and will keep on using their network as long as they don't test my patience. I was on AT&T for about 6 months back when the iPhone 3G came out. Yes, I'm guilty, I bought one, tried it, and hated the coverage, so I went back to Verizon, and have been with them ever since. I now own a Motorola Droid Razr, which is my 2nd Droid, and what an incredible machine, so far ...