Verizon Rolling Out New 6 Strikes Anti-Piracy Policy; Throttles Offenders to 256kbps

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
You are correct. Most people that get caught have static IP's and are caught at random. If you have a cable residential modem just refresh it time to time and get a new IP. To make sure you don't have a static IP just check your bill. It will be listed if you do

IP addresses are not infinite.

The ISP still has a record of which customer was assigned which of their IP addresses at any given time.

The copyright holder will usually specify the time and date because they are aware of dynamic IP addresses.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
The ISP still has a record of which customer was assigned which of their IP addresses at any given time.

The copyright holder will usually specify the time and date because they are aware of dynamic IP addresses.
exactly! no point to refresh anything. just use vpn and don't worry about anything.

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
Are we aloud to talk about this stuff on this forum?????????

I don't think anyone was advocating for theft of copyrighted materials nor saying where one could get them. No one even asked for them. That is public knowledge for the most part.

We are having a discussion about security and anonymity whilst using torrent. Because Verizon plans on limiting/punishing this behavior.

I think we're okay as long as a mod doesn't mistake us for doing the opposite.

huskur

Reaction score
IP addresses are not infinite.

You are also correct but correct with assumption only. This has been brought up before by recording industries and they have caught people in the past with their own admission of guilt. Some people have stood their ground and the ISP has to be able to prove that you had that address during that time period which they cannot do. Proof has to be found on both ends and the customer (consumer) cannot be held accountable without substantiated proof.

Anyway, as another poster has said......if you are behind a VPN you highly unlikely to get caught if you are illegally downloading. Also, there are some routers that scramble IP addresses where your ISP provides one address but the address on your router is different. Kinda like how public wifi hotspots work with 100's of clients connected to them. It's nearly impossible to detect what each user is doing.....

geoff5093

Reaction score
You are also correct but correct with assumption only. This has been brought up before by recording industries and they have caught people in the past with their own admission of guilt. Some people have stood their ground and the ISP has to be able to prove that you had that address during that time period which they cannot do. Proof has to be found on both ends and the customer (consumer) cannot be held accountable without substantiated proof.

Anyway, as another poster has said......if you are behind a VPN you highly unlikely to get caught if you are illegally downloading. Also, there are some routers that scramble IP addresses where your ISP provides one address but the address on your router is different. Kinda like how public wifi hotspots work with 100's of clients connected to them. It's nearly impossible to detect what each user is doing.....
To your earlier post, rebooting your modem doesn't pull a new IP address. Your ISP has a set lease for their customers, and it only gets refreshed when the lease expires and then your modem is rebooted. I've rebooted my modem several times and I always get the same IP within the lease period.

I will admit, a few years ago I was downloading a TV show online and weeks later I got a letter saying they knew I was downloading *name of the torrent file*, and that my internet has been suspended until I contact the ISP and tell them I will not do it again. ISP's keep a record of who got what IP and when, as our company has had to get a court order to determine who had a registered IP as a laptop was stolen from us, and they were able to track them down.

As far as public hotspots go, all routers assign a different IP to all the clients connected, but that's not what the ISP cares about. They can only tell the IP of the modem, anything behind a router running NAT is invisible to them.

huskur

Reaction score
To your earlier post, rebooting your modem doesn't pull a new IP address. Your ISP has a set lease for their customers, and it only gets refreshed when the lease expires and then your modem is rebooted. I've rebooted my modem several times and I always get the same IP within the lease period.

I will admit, a few years ago I was downloading a TV show online and weeks later I got a letter saying they knew I was downloading *name of the torrent file*, and that my internet has been suspended until I contact the ISP and tell them I will not do it again. ISP's keep a record of who got what IP and when, as our company has had to get a court order to determine who had a registered IP as a laptop was stolen from us, and they were able to track them down.

As far as public hotspots go, all routers assign a different IP to all the clients connected, but that's not what the ISP cares about. They can only tell the IP of the modem, anything behind a router running NAT is invisible to them.

If you want a new IP just go into your router webpage and select "renew". My Netgear I have now will do it and also my D-Link I replaced it will do it. Or you can renew from the command prompt on windows

c:/ ipconfig/ renew

sl4sh3r

Reaction score
Monitor all there users traffic diligently I don't see how that's possible. There basically putting a ding on the speed? What if I download Ubuntu 36 times in a week just for the fun of it through torrents. Would I get a violation? This idea is entrapment haha

Sent from my DROID r4z3r running JB

sl4sh3r

Reaction score
Honestly go VPN. Plain and simple

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
Monitor all there users traffic diligently I don't see how that's possible. There basically putting a ding on the speed? What if I download Ubuntu 36 times in a week just for the fun of it through torrents. Would I get a violation? This idea is entrapment haha

- The traffic is not monitored.
- They log the IP address for a specific user and time.
- You turn on your computer and router.
- Computer connects to router.
- IP address given from ISP is used to connect to the internet. ISP makes a quick note of who it is. That's it.
- You can download Ubuntu on a loop for 20 years with no repercussions. Because Ubuntu is open source. Ubuntu wouldn't make a claim against it.
- If you downloaded and seeded Microsoft Windows over and over. Windows might make a claim against the IP address. Your ISP says to Microsoft "whoa that's not us Microsoft. It's our customer X"

sl4sh3r

Reaction score
Hmm gotcha. Time to stay on my home router

Tonik

Reaction score
If you want a new IP just go into your router webpage and select "renew". My Netgear I have now will do it and also my D-Link I replaced it will do it. Or you can renew from the command prompt on windows

c:/ ipconfig/ renew

99.99 percent of the time that won't get you a new IP address. It will get you the same one you already had. Renew is just that, renew your existing lease. It will contact the DHCP server and ask to renew(extend) the current lease for the current IP address you already have. Even if you release your current IP address and ask for a new one you will get back the same one, 99.99 percent of the time.

93fuelslut

Reaction score
so basicly if i download a cd from a torrent site like piratebay, vzw will see that? and no way around that?

micrors4

Reaction score
You could encrypt the traffic and not upload the torrent, it will be difficult as is to keep track of everyone so I doubt they would waste more time trying to decrypt what you are downloading so they can just give you a warning.

huskur

Reaction score
99.99 percent of the time that won't get you a new IP address. It will get you the same one you already had. Renew is just that, renew your existing lease. It will contact the DHCP server and ask to renew(extend) the current lease for the current IP address you already have. Even if you release your current IP address and ask for a new one you will get back the same one, 99.99 percent of the time.

If "renew" doesn't give you a different IP (mine always changes) then instead of typing "renew" then type "release" at the command prompt and that forces a new IP