Verizon Rolling Out New 6 Strikes Anti-Piracy Policy; Throttles Offenders to 256kbps

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Jan 14, 2013.

1. AuxiliaryPie

AuxiliaryPie Member

Ratings:
    +2
    i never thought about that. but isnt the main way people get caught is (for example)
    1. you pirate a Miramax movie
    2. Miramax monitors it, tells your ISP
    3. ISP sends you email on Miramax's behalf saying "stahp"

Basically your ISP has better things to do than see every single thing youre downloading, especially since you can torrent completely legal things..am i right?

2. droidbionicmaster

Ratings:
    +4
    I torrent sometimes to see if i like a cd or a movie why waste money on it then dislike it. In todays economy every penny counts :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

3. xeene

xeene Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,190
    it doesn't work. you're better off disabling upload while downloading. they only monitor those that share, those that just take slide under their radar.

4. AuxiliaryPie

AuxiliaryPie Member

Ratings:
    +2
    lol peer block works very well. it blocks media companies all the time when im downloading. my friend has gotten a couple emails from media companies, i got him to use peerblock and he hasnt had one since

5. Jeyman

Jeyman Member

Ratings:
    +1
    seedbox/VPN makes all this pointless really. DLing anything risky on a torrent open to everyone without the right protection is not safe(or smart).

both VPN's and seedbox's are dirt cheap on a monthly plan(looking at under ~20$(USD) a month. Its also a great way to store other things like photos.

also its not worth DLing the music of today. And if you need past stuff odds are you can find someone with the CD who can legally make you a *mix tape*

6. huskur

huskur Senior Member

Ratings:
    +36
    You are correct. Most people that get caught have static IP's and are caught at random. If you have a cable residential modem just refresh it time to time and get a new IP. To make sure you don't have a static IP just check your bill. It will be listed if you do

7. zomnomnombie

zomnomnombie Active Member

Ratings:
    +36
    IP addresses are not infinite.

The ISP still has a record of which customer was assigned which of their IP addresses at any given time.

The copyright holder will usually specify the time and date because they are aware of dynamic IP addresses.

8. xeene

xeene Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,190
    exactly! no point to refresh anything. just use vpn and don't worry about anything.

9. xtor

xtor Senior Member

Ratings:
    +106
    Are we aloud to talk about this stuff on this forum?????????

10. zomnomnombie

zomnomnombie Active Member

Ratings:
    +36
    I don't think anyone was advocating for theft of copyrighted materials nor saying where one could get them. No one even asked for them. That is public knowledge for the most part.

We are having a discussion about security and anonymity whilst using torrent. Because Verizon plans on limiting/punishing this behavior.

I think we're okay as long as a mod doesn't mistake us for doing the opposite.

11. huskur

huskur Senior Member

Ratings:
    +36
    You are also correct but correct with assumption only. This has been brought up before by recording industries and they have caught people in the past with their own admission of guilt. Some people have stood their ground and the ISP has to be able to prove that you had that address during that time period which they cannot do. Proof has to be found on both ends and the customer (consumer) cannot be held accountable without substantiated proof.

Anyway, as another poster has said......if you are behind a VPN you highly unlikely to get caught if you are illegally downloading. Also, there are some routers that scramble IP addresses where your ISP provides one address but the address on your router is different. Kinda like how public wifi hotspots work with 100's of clients connected to them. It's nearly impossible to detect what each user is doing.....

12. geoff5093

geoff5093 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +29
    To your earlier post, rebooting your modem doesn't pull a new IP address. Your ISP has a set lease for their customers, and it only gets refreshed when the lease expires and then your modem is rebooted. I've rebooted my modem several times and I always get the same IP within the lease period.

I will admit, a few years ago I was downloading a TV show online and weeks later I got a letter saying they knew I was downloading *name of the torrent file*, and that my internet has been suspended until I contact the ISP and tell them I will not do it again. ISP's keep a record of who got what IP and when, as our company has had to get a court order to determine who had a registered IP as a laptop was stolen from us, and they were able to track them down.

As far as public hotspots go, all routers assign a different IP to all the clients connected, but that's not what the ISP cares about. They can only tell the IP of the modem, anything behind a router running NAT is invisible to them.

Search tags for this page

fios pirating policy

pirates i'm back on 3g

should i test verizon 6 strike policy?

verizon 6 strike rule