Verizon Revamps Data Plans Offering Extra Value!

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
verizon-data-plans-graphic-april-24-2015.png

It looks like sometimes pigs really are born with wings. Verizon just announced several revamped data plans, and they basically lowered some of their prices!

Here are the details,
  • The 8GB ($85), 12GB ($110), 14GB ($120), and 16GB ($130) plans are all gone
  • The 500MB to 4GB plans are the same at their February prices
  • We still have the 6GB and above limit for the $25 Edge discount
  • The 6GB plan is $70 and the 20GB plan is $140
  • The main change we have that adds great value for many customers is that the 10GB plan has dropped to $80 (from $100) and Verizon restarted the 15GB plan which is now priced at $100
You can see more of the details in the graphic above and in the source link below. Try not to pass out from shock!

Source: VZW

boidsonly

Reaction score
Lol.
The "let them leave" attitude quickly changed, did it not? With T-Mo and ATT both posting significant 1st/Q customer gains, VZW shareholders are running frightened. Hope the folks on VZW can take advantage of some of these breaks.

Too late for me-I took the family to T-Mo for $75 in savings over VZW; and got unlimited everything for everybody. Reception could be better at home but they sent me the Personal Cellspot Router at no cost-fixed that issue.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Lol.
The "let them leave" attitude quickly changed, did it not? With T-Mo and ATT both posting significant 1st/Q customer gains, VZW shareholders are running frightened. Hope the folks on VZW can take advantage of some of these breaks.

Too late for me-I took the family to T-Mo for $75 in savings over VZW; and got unlimited everything for everybody. Reception could be better at home but they sent me the Personal Cellspot Router at no cost-fixed that issue.

I was chuckling about this myself. Leave if you want to...but wait!! Try this on for size.

I am also rocking TMobile. Until one of the big three can offer unlimited data, unlimited music streaming, at a major pricing overhaul I am not budging.

bubbanbrenda

Reaction score
I started shopping around when they said "let them leave" just bad business IMO, and not very impressed with the chart either, they only lowered 1 plan. I'm seriously thinking about taking 1 for the team and trying FI on for size, no contract so if it sucks I can take my new Nexus 6 and go somewhere else.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
They technically lowered the 14GB plan as well by adding a gig for $20 less.

bubbanbrenda

Reaction score
IMO it's all smoke and mirrors, they can spin it any way they want, buy 10 Gigs get 5 free, or if you buy 12 Gigs we'll give you 3 free AND knock 10 bucks off just for being a long time valued extra special sucker...er..ugh.. valued customer. I'm still throwin' the B.S. flag. @cyber I have UNLIMITED DATA:cool: also, but in my old age I find myself using less and less data, I'm whining on principle. My point is I've been a Verizon customer for 11+ years, NEVER been late on my monthly payment once, and over the 11 years I have had as many as 5 lines and have whittled it down to 3, and 2 of those are dumb phones, I have only had 1 warranty claim, and the 2 dumb phones are over 5 years old. My Razr-Maxx was 8 month's old when I bought it from it original owner for the ETF. My reward for my brand loyalty is pay twice as much and get half as much, and when I objected, I was told (to my face by a sales rep at a corporate store) that if I didn't like the new data plans that I was no longer under contract I was free to switch to another carrier if I like, so to that I say OK. C-ya.

Domestic violence

Reaction score
I have 10gb/$80 and have had it for almost a year... Along with 3gb thrown in on a promo

So, the 10/$80 isn't anything new, at all

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
It looks like they are really just pushing Edge more and more...ultimately they want out of the subsidy business all together.

Still, my unlimited for $80 looks pretty good...equivalent to 6gigs on Edge. Granted, I only have 450 minutes but that's rarely an issue.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I'm still throwin' the B.S. flag. @cyber I have UNLIMITED DATA:cool: also, but in my old age I find myself using less and less data, I'm whining on principle.
I'm the complete opposite. As I get older, I'm using more & more data. 2-3 times more from just 2 years ago. That said, I never use WiFi, there's simply no need when you're not worried about going over your limit.
I do agree with you that this is all smoke & mirrors and much ado about nothing.

S5 tap'n

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Just wait till Google Wireless really kicks in. You'll see Verizon AND the other carriers scrambling to offer incentives out the whazoo in a desperate attempt to stem the tides of the mass exodus. The Google idea is nothing new. I mean, pay as you go, only pay for what you use? Isn't that how electricity and water and sewer and oil and gas and just about every other commodity/utility is charged? I give MAJOR KUDOS to Google for doing this.

This WILL be a game-changer for sure. I don't use anywhere near the 10 or 15GB allotments that Verizon is touting, but I have Unlimited. Would I EVER pay that kind of a monthly fee for that much access...only in ONE way...if they retroactively and automatically refunded me the unused portion. Wow, what an epiphany!! That's EXACTLY what Google is doing.

Coincidence that this comes on the heels of the Google announcement? I think not. This is nothing more than an early (AND WEAK), veiled attempt at getting ahead of the curve, locking in new contracts with termination fees and trying to prevent the inevitable.

And yes, I've already requested my invite to the Google Wireless program, and have a brand new Nexus 6 direct from Motorola waiting in a box to be activated there. THIS may be the ONLY way that someone could tear me away from the Unlimited plan I have grandfathered with Verizon on 2 lines, which costs me $70/month and $39.00 per phone. This would also would cause Verizon to lose 3 numbers from me, each ending in 8000, 8100 and 8200...prime telephony real estate. These are numbers I issued to myself 21 years ago when I was a Bell Atlantic Agent. They had better act fast and with far more than above, they're flirting with disaster.

FoxKat sits back and watches as the landscape is changing for the better.

Last edited:

AvaMichele

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 4
Just wait till Google Wireless really kicks in. You'll see Verizon AND the other carriers scrambling to offer incentives out the whazoo in a desperate attempt to stem the tides of the mass exodus. The Google idea is nothing new. I mean, pay as you go, only pay for what you use? Isn't that how electricity and water and sewer and oil and gas and just about every other commodity/utility is charged? I give MAJOR KUDOS to Google for doing this.

This WILL be a game-changer for sure. I don't use anywhere near the 10 or 15GB allotments that Verizon is touting, but I have Unlimited. Would I EVER pay that kind of a monthly fee for that much access...only in ONE way...if they retroactively and automatically refunded me the unused portion. Wow, what an epiphany!! That's EXACTLY what Google is doing.

Coincidence that this comes on the heels of the Google announcement? I think not. This is nothing more than an early (AND WEAK), attempt at getting ahead of the curve, locking in new contracts with termination fees and trying to prevent the inevitable.

FoxKat sits back and watches as the landscape is changing for the better.
I am so looking forward to this. We aren't going to be able to jump off of the Verizon ship right away, but we're getting our life jackets ready!

bucho602

Reaction score
Will Verizon automatically implement the discount if you are on a 10gb plan right now? I have two lines and with the insurance and the extra $5 added to one line to make long distance calls to Germany and I'm usually at $150. I wonder if I need to call them. I would rather ask my droidforum buddies for the info than to call big red, you all are typically much nicer and easier to deal with. Thanks for any of the answers I get.

joshgimer

Reaction score
As a Verizon employee I would say call. I had reps at my store calling local customers to offer the plan change. It is not going to change automatically.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I agree, calling would be your best bet. Just be careful they don't try to talk you into a new plan altogether.

S5 tap'n