Verizon Planning on "Turbo" Network Speed Mode with Micro-Transaction Tiered Data

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Nov 3, 2011.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

Apparently, Verizon is developing a new network optimization API that will create a "Turbo" speed mode for certain apps. The tool they are developing will be able to dynamically allocate more network bandwidth to your downloads depending on the app, like streaming video or large downloads during peak hours. Of course, there is always a catch, and in this case, the catch is that you will be charged a small fee from a micro-transaction API every time you use this "Turbo Mode" feature. Here is a quote from Hugh Fletcher, of Verizon,
    Fletcher made it clear that this new feature will be optional, and their intention is to get closer to guaranteeing a good quality of service even during high network congestion.

Share your thoughts in the forum.

Source: PhoneArena
  2. IanG

IanG New Member

Yet another way to nickel and dime...
  3. Sweettooth

Sweettooth New Member

I wonder if it plays the invincible Mario theme with little cha-ching sounds in the background when you activate it.
  4. combatmedic870

combatmedic870 Well-Known Member

LOL too funny!
  5. ilikemoneygreen

ilikemoneygreen New Member

This is a bunch of dooodoo, so basically this is saying that my connection isnt as fast as it can be all the time. Which means are we being throttled? o_O Just saying, i think i want my network to be giving me the best service it can give to me all the time....not for a fee on top of what we already pay for. If they do implement this, then i hope it fails miserably.
  6. GrillMouster

GrillMouster New Member

So, those of us who don't give VZW extra money will get a slower connection because someone else paid VZW for additional bandwidth.
  7. jnecessary

jnecessary New Member

This.

Basically they are charging more to cover a shortcoming of their network?? Seriously!@?
  8. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

If I'm supposed to get 8-12mbps on LTE, why should I pay a premium to increase it from 5 to 8? If I was getting the advertised 8mbps I don't see any reason I'd need to pay for more. I suppose if someone was paying for a tethering plan (unlimited on LTE), then maybe you need a bit more bandwidth to play that hi-def Netflicks over your PS3.
  9. akhenax

akhenax Well-Known Member

WTF Verizon. :furious:
  10. OneTenderRebel

OneTenderRebel New Member

#occupyverizon ?????:blink:
  11. 561427

561427 New Member

#occupyverizion If they dont like the customers using their networks then why would they sell their usage to us?
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2011
  12. zwegan

zwegan New Member

I hope it's like the old 286/386's with a turbo button and a clock speed window!!!!
  13. Captmilk

Captmilk New Member

They gotta get theirs? lol....that's my gangster talk for the year
  14. liftedplane

liftedplane Well-Known Member

because that takes SO much more bandwidth when some of the newer phones coming out can stream HD netflix...

like the first guy said, yet another way to nickle and dime.
  15. jerkwad

jerkwad New Member

Stop whining...srsly...

I don't post too often, and when I do, it is usually help/constructive/support types of responses, but ...

Things to consider here:

1. Verizon does not guarantee a specific speed, EVERYTHING they've ever quoted says "up to X.XX Mbps"
    2. Verizon isn't throttling anyone here, Verizon is prioritizing those that choose to pay more, and why shouldn't they?!
    3. Verizon isn't stupid (debatable, sure!), they will always build in headroom on their networks for obvious reasons, there is a finite amount of data to go around, and SOME in the community (ahem, netflix all day long, tether peeps, etc) really chew into it during peak hours, they have to do something.
    4. This is only an issue when a cell tower is congested, otherwise you won't have a bad Skype connection, thus you won't NEED turbo mode.
    5. Verizon is a business, they will always find ways to make more money, get over it. You all have the choice not to use it.
    5a. If you DON'T use it, if NO ONE uses it, Verizon will realize the lack of interest and discontinue this.
    5b. Unlike our (modding community) ability to affect Verizon's stance on bootloaders, data tier plans, etc, we CAN affect this service's success by not using it. MOST other users will never use it and will be unwilling to chew through their dollars for preferential treatment on the network.
    6. This is aimed at power users and rich people that care nothing about spending a little extra money. The fact that everyone on here is complaining about nickel-diming, shows me you don't fit the later category. And as a power user you are smart enough to not use this service anyway.
    7. Certainly, Verizon will have built-in mechanisms to determine if a Turbo paying customer is destroying a cell tower's ability to provide adequate bandwidth to the rest of us. They will have safe-guards in place for this, or risk pissing off TONS of non-turbo customers (their bread and butter).
    8. None of us are going to see 14.4 dial-up speeds from this. Relax. We will still have enough bandwidth for interwebz, google maps, etc, including Netflix. Seriously, why would you watching Netflix on 3G speeds and complain if it has to buffer?!
    9. Every other ISP business model upcharges for prioritzation among other things such as guaranteed uptime, etc - but you don't see every other network that is on the Verizon backbone come to a halt.
    10. Would you ALL prefer that we have less than optimal speeds ALL the time with NO way to control it? Or would you at least like to be given the opportunity to be "bumped up" and prioritized when it is essential?

I've listed them so that you all can respond to each one that you don't agree with ;-) , but I gotta say, I think this whole "complaining thing" is getting out of control on these boards.
  16. NoBloatware

NoBloatware New Member

All good points jerkwad, but I'd like to point out that in the US there are only 2 choices for extensive nationwide coverage: Verizon and AT&T. That's a duopoly and I think it would be naive to forget it. Prices aren't decreasing, consumer choice is limited, and carrier control is increasing and NONE of that would be happening if we had healthy competition.
  17. Tillmorn

Tillmorn Member

While jerkwad does make some valid points, this is my concern:

Once Verizon fully integrates this system across their network, I have a feeling that those of us who decide not to pay will see a huge hit in data speeds. Particularly on 4G devices, which I find odd since iPhone users typically, at least as far as AT&T are concerned, are the largest data hogs (ruling out the whole issue of using tethering as your ISP mind you). What this could potentially mean is that while on a 4G connection, we may be pushed down to 3G speeds for some applications, such as Netflix.

At the same time, this could be a potentially good thing if you're in a bind and need to download a couple of gigs worth of data quickly. Is it ideal and fair? No. Then again, when has that been the case with Wireless providers since the outbreak of the smartphone era? Hell, I'm surprised Verizon allowed those of us with a 3G unlimited data plan to be grandfathered into unlimited 4G to be honest.
  18. jerkwad

jerkwad New Member

I'm not [too] naive to realize that we don't have many options here, emphasis on "too" lol. However, a monopoly/duopoly/triopoly/etc doesn't mean that Verizon still can't do these kinds of things. They don't sit in an "evil-empire" room and say "let's nickel and dime these suckers". They make decisions to increase their bottom line.

Do they think they can get away with this because there is only Verizon and ATT? Maybe, but even if they did, they are perfectly in the legal bounds to do this. This is a feature that you DON'T have to use AND one that isn't necessarily going to impact any of us (per the things I mentioned earlier).

The limited number of cellular telcos is irrelevant in this, discussion. Verizon isn't going to limit innovation (tongue-in-cheek) or limit expansion of their network or any number of other "profit-limiting-things" just because there are only two. I ALSO like having choices, LOTS of choices. Thank god women come in all kinds of hair colors, for example ;-) This isn't a conversation about why we don't have more cellular telcos. That's a different (and more depressing) conversation to be had.

I'm not trying to be argumentative - I'm not getting your point, I guess?
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  19. benb1974

benb1974 Member

is this there sly way around net neutrality
  20. jerkwad

jerkwad New Member

I think "Huge" might be a bit dire, but yes, we might see a few percentages in performance. Granted, this will be determined by many factors: Number of users on a single cell tower, the aggregate bandwidth for all users on the cell tower, the aggregate bandwidth of users on multiple cell towers (it all has to feed back to some common switching/routing infrastructure), etc. Many of the factors have nothing to do with prioritization.

Consider this: Next year EVERYONE is on 4G, there is no prioritization scheme in place, and everyone is doing Netflix over 4G. That is not a sustainable reality for Verizon. There is a limit to what they can support. I already envision better but not optimal speeds on 4G. The more people that go to that network the more congested it will become. As Verizon pushes 4G harder and harder, we can all expect our 4G experience to suffer, albeit still better than 3G speeds. I think it is unrealistic to assume that we will all have a minimum of 8Mbps (or more) at our disposal at any moment in time from a cell phone. Would I be happy with 5Mbps, hell yes. Would I be happy with 3Mbps, sure. Is that 2x as fast as I have now, yep! Am I paying anymore on my data plan for 4G, nope. That's not a bad thing for anyone to have happen, right?

The technology used to prioritize and optimize the network is going to be very important here. I don't think 95% of us are going to notice a thing. Let's face it, how many people actually check their data speeds anyway? According to the android market about 60,000 users (evidenced by the downloads of the two most popular speedtest apps on the market). I've downloaded that thing about 100 times (due to new ROMs, etc). So i'm sure that number is less when you start considering unique users/phones. My point is, speeds will go up for 4G users, no question. But we are all living in a 4G-pipe-dream if we think we will see consistent 8Mbps speeds 24/7/365.24 as 4G becomes mainstream.

I'm not sure what you are saying here...are you saying that as the iPhone enters the 4G LTE realm next year we will be hit even harder because they suck down more data than any other phone manufacturer? I don't disagree that the iPhone prob eats more data, they are probably uploading the users coordinates every 3 seconds and a picture from the camera so that apple can trac....ahh, nevermind ;-) This point goes back to my comment above about expecting HUGE speeds all the time as 4G becomes even more popular.

I doubt we'll be shoved down to 3G speeds, but we could see less than optimal 4G speeds, i don't disagree. I don't think the small percentage of users paying for "turbo" mode will cause this nearly as much as just the fact that you will have a lot more users on 4G networks in the near future. Time will tell I guess. That being said, expecting to stream HD content to a phone via cellphone data networks, for 2+ hours at a time, is asking a lot when you consider the bazillions of people that Verizon services. I would much rather drop netflix from the conversation and worry about google maps updating quickly or getting my emails and attachments in a timely manner. The rest is fluff and should NOT take priority over essential services. Let's hope that verizon has some provision for prioritizing only certain traffic types by the applications that use them.

I wouldn't say this isn't "fair". I would say this isn't "ideal". I agree 100% that in a perfect world we would all get great speeds all the time. However, I'm wide awake, no dreaming here ;-) Verizon HAS done right in enough areas that should not be overlooked. Superior coverage? Yes Good/Great selection of phones? Yep, that too. As you mentioned, the grandfathering of 3G unlimited users to 4G unlimited is amazing. They didn't have to do that, most likely. I lost my unlimited when converting to a Family plan (only for my primary line, wife still has unlimited on hers). Was I happy about it? No way! Do I understand the need for Verizon to do it? Yes, enough to not throw my phone at the Verizon technician, insult her mother and storm out of the store ;-)

I'm not some Verizon wh*re, I just try to stay impartial to balance out the rest of us ;-) lol
Search tags for this page

micro transaction verizon api

www.3gbkine.com