Verizon Planning on "Turbo" Network Speed Mode with Micro-Transaction Tiered Data

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Verizon-plans-Turbo-network-speed-mode-for-apps-takes-tiered-data-to-the-micro-level.jpg

Apparently, Verizon is developing a new network optimization API that will create a "Turbo" speed mode for certain apps. The tool they are developing will be able to dynamically allocate more network bandwidth to your downloads depending on the app, like streaming video or large downloads during peak hours. Of course, there is always a catch, and in this case, the catch is that you will be charged a small fee from a micro-transaction API every time you use this "Turbo Mode" feature. Here is a quote from Hugh Fletcher, of Verizon,
"One of the things that we are right now is very democratic in terms of allocating spectrum and bandwidth to users. And just because you request a high quality of service doesn't mean you're gonna get it. [The network] will try to give it to you, but if there's a lot of congestion, a lot of people using it, it won't kick people off." He also added, "I think you could anticipate that maybe you'll have a Skype call that starts going bad," Fletcher said. "Wouldn't you like to be able to hit the turbo button and have that come back up to be a good call?"
Fletcher made it clear that this new feature will be optional, and their intention is to get closer to guaranteeing a good quality of service even during high network congestion.

Share your thoughts in the forum.

Source: PhoneArena

Sweettooth

Reaction score
I wonder if it plays the invincible Mario theme with little cha-ching sounds in the background when you activate it.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is a bunch of dooodoo, so basically this is saying that my connection isnt as fast as it can be all the time. Which means are we being throttled? o_O Just saying, i think i want my network to be giving me the best service it can give to me all the time....not for a fee on top of what we already pay for. If they do implement this, then i hope it fails miserably.

GrillMouster

Reaction score
So, those of us who don't give VZW extra money will get a slower connection because someone else paid VZW for additional bandwidth.

jnecessary

Reaction score
This is a bunch of dooodoo, so basically this is saying that my connection isnt as fast as it can be all the time. Which means are we being throttled? o_O Just saying, i think i want my network to be giving me the best service it can give to me all the time....not for a fee on top of what we already pay for. If they do implement this, then i hope it fails miserably.

This.

Basically they are charging more to cover a shortcoming of their network?? Seriously!@?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
If I'm supposed to get 8-12mbps on LTE, why should I pay a premium to increase it from 5 to 8? If I was getting the advertised 8mbps I don't see any reason I'd need to pay for more. I suppose if someone was paying for a tethering plan (unlimited on LTE), then maybe you need a bit more bandwidth to play that hi-def Netflicks over your PS3.

Reaction score
#occupyverizion If they dont like the customers using their networks then why would they sell their usage to us?

Last edited by a moderator:

zwegan

Reaction score
I hope it's like the old 286/386's with a turbo button and a clock speed window!!!!

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
If I'm supposed to get 8-12mbps on LTE, why should I pay a premium to increase it from 5 to 8? If I was getting the advertised 8mbps I don't see any reason I'd need to pay for more. I suppose if someone was paying for a tethering plan (unlimited on LTE), then maybe you need a bit more bandwidth to play that hi-def Netflicks over your PS3.

because that takes SO much more bandwidth when some of the newer phones coming out can stream HD netflix...

like the first guy said, yet another way to nickle and dime.

jerkwad

Reaction score
Stop whining...srsly...

I don't post too often, and when I do, it is usually help/constructive/support types of responses, but ...

Things to consider here:

1. Verizon does not guarantee a specific speed, EVERYTHING they've ever quoted says "up to X.XX Mbps"
2. Verizon isn't throttling anyone here, Verizon is prioritizing those that choose to pay more, and why shouldn't they?!
3. Verizon isn't stupid (debatable, sure!), they will always build in headroom on their networks for obvious reasons, there is a finite amount of data to go around, and SOME in the community (ahem, netflix all day long, tether peeps, etc) really chew into it during peak hours, they have to do something.
4. This is only an issue when a cell tower is congested, otherwise you won't have a bad Skype connection, thus you won't NEED turbo mode.
5. Verizon is a business, they will always find ways to make more money, get over it. You all have the choice not to use it.
5a. If you DON'T use it, if NO ONE uses it, Verizon will realize the lack of interest and discontinue this.
5b. Unlike our (modding community) ability to affect Verizon's stance on bootloaders, data tier plans, etc, we CAN affect this service's success by not using it. MOST other users will never use it and will be unwilling to chew through their dollars for preferential treatment on the network.
6. This is aimed at power users and rich people that care nothing about spending a little extra money. The fact that everyone on here is complaining about nickel-diming, shows me you don't fit the later category. And as a power user you are smart enough to not use this service anyway.
7. Certainly, Verizon will have built-in mechanisms to determine if a Turbo paying customer is destroying a cell tower's ability to provide adequate bandwidth to the rest of us. They will have safe-guards in place for this, or risk pissing off TONS of non-turbo customers (their bread and butter).
8. None of us are going to see 14.4 dial-up speeds from this. Relax. We will still have enough bandwidth for interwebz, google maps, etc, including Netflix. Seriously, why would you watching Netflix on 3G speeds and complain if it has to buffer?!
9. Every other ISP business model upcharges for prioritzation among other things such as guaranteed uptime, etc - but you don't see every other network that is on the Verizon backbone come to a halt.
10. Would you ALL prefer that we have less than optimal speeds ALL the time with NO way to control it? Or would you at least like to be given the opportunity to be "bumped up" and prioritized when it is essential?

I've listed them so that you all can respond to each one that you don't agree with ;-) , but I gotta say, I think this whole "complaining thing" is getting out of control on these boards.