Verizon Finally Releases The Developer Edition Galaxy S5!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
gs5.png

If you love to Root and Mod your device there is really no better way to go than with a Nexus device or a Developer edition device. Developer Edition phones allow you to unlock your bootloader which will in turn allow you to install a custom recovery, permanent root your device and install all kinds of different mods to your device. The Verizon variant Galaxy S5 consumer edition has to be the most closed down secure device that we have seen to date. There is currently nearly a $12,000 bounty for Root only. It does not look like we will be seeing root or custom recovery for that matter on the S5 for a while. After many phone releases both Verizon and Samsung have become very good at patching holes and getting rid of the "low hanging fruit" when it comes to finding an exploit for root. Developers that I have spoken with are really running out of ideas for finding root and are beginning to point to the developer edition Galaxy S5 for those who want their device rooted. The only down side to the developer edition Galaxy S5 is that you will have to pay full retail price which is $599. If you have that kind of cash to burn head to the link below to order.

Via Samsung

da2zoe

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note 7
Excellent!! dancedroid Thanks for sharing this news!

KaChow

Reaction score
I think Samsung shot themselves in the foot here. I mean it is one thing to offer this Developer Edition device, but the problem is there are a couple of issues with it. First, they are charging the full retail price (which this is of course what we expected as that has always been a factor they have done.) But, the biggest issue is that it is based on the current specs of the Galaxy S5, which Samsung has put together an S5 Prime version which has the 2k screen and beefed up specs that is mentioned to be launched in June prior to the LG G3, Source Source 2. If I'm gonna spend $599 the full retail price to be an Unlocked device on Verizon then I want the whole "Enchilada", I don't want just "taco". And that is where Samsung has shot themselves in the foot, not mention, there's already going to be some angry S5 owners that were lied to that a Premium S5 would not be released, but that's another story (maybe there should be a class action lawsuit the "People against Samsung"), and there's also rumors floating around about an Unlocked Google Play Edition S5.

Last edited:

Tonik

Reaction score
Will there be much development for it? I would think not without the regular version being unlocked. No demand and few if any developers.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
It's not attractive option IMO... I also refuse to buy 16GB internal storage phones...

N3 tap

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Realistically there should be MORE development for it, simply because it opens up an amazing device so developers can easily work with it. If a developer has a choice between a locked down version or an unlocked version, they're going to go with the unlocked version. (at the same price no less)
Unless of course they really want a piece of that twelve thousand dollar bounty. :)

tap'n

KaChow

Reaction score
The bigger more important question is how long will it take to have a Custom Recovery on this device. If the SE Status is not set to Permissive by default, which KitKat uses Enforcing by default, this could be a problem with getting Custom Recovery on a device that may or may not get a lot of Development Support.

I'm sure CWM will come out though, eventually.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
DroidModderX

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Will there be much development for it? I would think not without the regular version being unlocked. No demand and few if any developers.

There will be virtually zero development unless the consumer variant is unlocked, or at the very least rooted

KaChow

Reaction score
There will be virtually zero development unless the consumer variant is unlocked, or at the very least rooted

This is true, but the same issue is present even if the device gains Root. There is no guarantee that there will be any form of Recovery with the S5, for those that know Safestrap for one has a difficult issue working with the Enforcing mode on the SE Status and KitKat. It currently works on Permissive, but trying to get it to run Enforcing is an entirely different ball-game. Without Safestrap on Verizon there will not be really any Development taking place, as you can't flash ROMs, sure you can still run Root, have Titanium, Xposed, Wanam, etc of course theme the device, but if you freeze the device, you really have nothing to fall back on. Kinda reminds of the Note 3 on AT&T when they had Root and no Recovery...

da2zoe

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note 7
And that is where Samsung has shot themselves in the foot, not mention, there's already going to be some angry S5 owners that were lied to that a Premium S5 would not be released, but that's another story ...
You make an excellent point. However, it would be my guess that people who really want a device they can tweak will have waited (like I have) in hopes something would come out. That's why I've waited for news on a Dev/Prime edition to become more solid before I commit to buying the S5. If, after waiting for a long period of time, it looked like a developer edition wasn't going to come out I will admit that I would choose another phone. Two years is a long time to be stuck on purely stock. I'm with you though - bummer the specs are the same of the consumer S5.

It's not attractive option IMO... I also refuse to buy 16GB internal storage phones...
For me, this isn't a huge issue because I'm not limited to just internal memory. As long as I can have an SD card, I'm good to go.

Realistically there should be MORE development for it, simply because it opens up an amazing device so developers can easily work with it. If a developer has a choice between a locked down version or an unlocked version, they're going to go with the unlocked version. (at the same price no less)
Unless of course they really want a piece of that twelve thousand dollar bounty. :)
Fingers crossed for future development. Blast Knox!

Without Safestrap on Verizon there will not be really any Development taking place, as you can't flash ROMs, sure you can still run Root, have Titanium, Xposed, Wanam, etc of course theme the device, but if you freeze the device, you really have nothing to fall back on. Kinda reminds of the Note 3 on AT&T when they had Root and no Recovery...
I wouldn't care to be stuck not being able to flash roms, but root at the minimum would hold me so I could at least have Titanium, Xposed, etc until (and hopefully not if) we get recovery. I'm still saving up my pennies (buying off-contract so I don't lose my unlimited data) so in the mean time I'll watch and hope recovery comes around. Again...fingers crossed.

KaChow

Reaction score
You make an excellent point. However, it would be my guess that people who really want a device they can tweak will have waited (like I have) in hopes something would come out. That's why I've waited for news on a Dev/Prime edition to become more solid before I commit to buying the S5. If, after waiting for a long period of time, it looked like a developer edition wasn't going to come out I will admit that I would choose another phone. Two years is a long time to be stuck on purely stock. I'm with you though - bummer the specs are the same of the consumer S5.

For me this happens to be the question... Now, that we know the S5 Prime is coming what is the chance of a S5 Prime Developer Edition being released? If there is a possibility who is going to buy the current Developer Edition and who would wait for the off chance that a Prime version is offered. Afterall, you can't trust Samsung if they publicly announce they will not offer it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited: