Verizon Drops The Axe! Will Disconnect Unlimited Data Users Using Extraordinary Amounts Of Data!

Discussion in 'Android News' started by DroidModderX, Jul 20, 2016.

1. jsandy

jsandy Member

Ratings:
    +11
    I certainly hope that this is accurate. The most I have ever used is 70Gb in a month. Most months it is about 1/2 that. I feel very fortunate to have had a UDP for as long as I have. I live in a rural area that has no high-speed internet. Drive 10 min in any direction and there is both Xfinity and Fios available but not anywhere near me.I've tried Hughesnet satellite but trying to stream anything is impossible. Other posts have been critical of a sense of entitlement. I certainly don't feel entitled to Verizon's bandwidth but I do fear not having access to the internet that exists in some 3rd world developing countries.

• Like Like x 1
  2. PereDroid

PereDroid DF News Team Reporter

Ratings:
    +4,271
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Turbo 2

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

3. Mustang02

Mustang02 Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +6,020
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P/5X
    Exactly. Every city dweller is all high and mighty that they are finally cutting UDP but don't understand, or know other situations like yours.

• Like Like x 2
  4. akhenax

akhenax Silver Member

Ratings:
    +504
    OMG.

I love threads like these. It's all really silly. "Verizon tacks on extra $20 for UD customers" "Verizon throttles data for UD customers" "Verizon doesn't like UD customers" "Verizon UD is not really UD" "Verizon changes to smaller V symbol to get people to use less data"

I too was like, when Verizon does this I'll finally do that, but never did.

It was me not being able to afford staying with Verizon with the UD plan and TMo offering an UD that was 66% less that pushed me over the edge.

#112 akhenax, Jul 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  5. xeene

xeene Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,191
    And I'm still paying just $10 a month for our unlimited lines 6 years later...

• Like Like x 2
  6. tech_head

tech_head Silver Member

Ratings:
    +285
    Shhhhhhh..... Me too; for four lines. You have that promotion, don't you?

• Like Like x 1
  7. xeene

xeene Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,191
    Yep!

• Like Like x 1
  8. FoxKat

FoxKat Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,265
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
    Regarding the FCC and their position on limiting "unlimited data", that case has left the building a long time ago. Back in October of 2015 an article was published showing Verizon was still allowing unlimited to mean unlimited while three of its biggest competitors has already added data caps to their unlimited data plans (see below). Furthermore those other carriers capped the data at less than 1/4 of what Verizon is now proposing, between 22 and 23GB per month. And to clarify, the verbiage used by Verizon to indicate the days consumption rates that trigger the push was "well in excess of 100GB", so even using at our just over 100GB based on the statement should not trigger the pink slip for you.

Quote, CNN.com (http://money.cnn.com/2015/10/21/technology/unlimited-data/)b

"Sprint: Last week, Sprint announced that it would cap its unlimited data plans at 23 GB. After customers hit that limit, the network will begin prioritizing their download requests after all other Sprint customers, which means they'll have to get in line if they really want to watch that YouTube video.

23 GB is still a whole lot of data, and only impacts 3% of Sprint's customers. But it's a push-back nonetheless.

T-Mobile: Outspoken CEO John Legere went on a tirade against a small fraction of his customers he said are "stealing data" from T-Mobile. He said some customers used software tricks to bypass limits T-Mobile put in place on downloads from mobile hotspots.

The company also has implemented a 23 GB cap on unlimited data, after which T-Mobile prioritizes other customers over the heaviest downloaders.

AT&T: The first carrier to get rid of unlimited plans continues to grandfather in customers who have stuck with unlimited data since 2010.

Like Sprint and T-Mobile, AT&T has a 22 GB cap, after which it slows down speeds for its heaviest users.

But AT&T's policy appears to be harsher than its competitors. The FCC said that AT&T's unlimited customers had been subjected to slower speeds for an average of 12 days -- nearly half a billing cycle. The commission also noted that throttled customers' speeds have been so slow, that they have experienced trouble connecting to mapping services or streaming video."

#116 FoxKat, Jul 22, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. scottysize

scottysize Active Member

Ratings:
    +142
    Current Phone Model:
    iPhone XS Max
    Verizon's killing me. I don't have any other alternative for Internet at my house. Geez. This applies to me as I use anywhere from 160 to over 200GBs per month. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  10. FoxKat

FoxKat Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,265
    Current Phone Model:
    I've just gotten verbal confirmation from Verizon that the letters are going out between July 21 and August 20. But remember, it is per line so if you have more than one line since it's a shared data plan you could use the aggregate of upwards of 100GB X #lines (i.e. 100GB X 3 lines = 300GB), safely since they are targeting those using in excess of 100GB.

From a Verizon spokesperson;

"These users are using data amounts well in excess of our largest plan size (100GB). While the Verizon Plan at 100GB is designed to be shared across multiple users, each line receiving notification to move to the new Verizon Plan is using well in excess of that on a single device."

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. FoxKat

FoxKat Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,265
    Current Phone Model:
    Verizon claims that unlimited data plans represent less than 1% of all cellular data subscribers and that those who will be affected by this are the top 5% of that 1%, so we're talking about .05% of all subscribers. First quarter of 2016 saw Verizon with 141.47MM subscribers so we're talking less than 70,735 people in the entire Verizon footprint. That's no more than 1 in every 2,000 subscribers. It's a small number of people in the grand scheme of things.

#119 FoxKat, Jul 22, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  12. aphex412w

aphex412w New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm currently sitting at 102 GB. I also have WiFi at home but it doesn't do me any good. I drive a semi for a living and I'm only home 3 days a month. Between streaming music music while I drive and watching Netflix after I stop for the day I can burn through data fast.

Search tags for this page
unlimited data verizon letter
verizon abolishing unlimited data plan
verizon cancelling unlimited data users forum
verizon disconnect unlimited over 100gb
verizon drop axe

verizon drops axe

verizon drops the axe