Verizon CTO Indicates Working Through LTE Tech Issues with 4G and TBolt

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
lte2.jpg
htc-thunderbolt-big.jpg

Are you guys beginning to wonder what the heck happened to Verizon's HTC Thunderbolt, and LTE service in general? Apparently, when they said they would roll it out and offer the phone in the first half of this year, they meant that both literally and cryptically vague. Tony Melone, Verizon’s chief technology officer, recently addressed Credit Suisse’s Convergence conference. What he had to say didn't exactly inspire confidence that 4G LTE would be spreading like wild-fire anytime soon. Industry rumor has suggested that the hold up is a combination of technology and pricing issues, and his speech indirectly confirms at least the technology part of that equation.

When asked why LTE smartphones are taking longer than expected, he said,
I guess our expectations change, but we had said first half of this year at CES, quite frankly, we think that exceeded people’s expectations. A year ago, people didn’t believe that there would be LTE smartphones in 2011. First half of the year is what we promised, first half of the year is still on track. So we don’t believe there are any new or surprising issues. I think what we’re facing is what you would expect, and that is a new technology, you are working through issues. And we anticipated that, and we are pleased at how we are working through issues. And as I said, you are going to see LTE smartphones on the network as promised, before the first half — before the second half of the year, by the end of the second quarter.

He sure seemed to 'dance around' the question didn't he? Perhaps he has a great career in politics. Regardless, he was also probed about the rumored 'battery life issues' with the HTC Thunderbolt, and he replied,
I would say all the issues are being worked. I’m not sure I would say there are any key issues. Again, battery life has always been a topic of folks, no different than it was with 3G. The OEMs and ourselves, between the network and the device, we’ll optimize it and provide a battery experience that we believe will be acceptable to consumers.

Well, that's a little less vague, but still not exactly a full-blown refutation of the rumor. With the Thunderbolt floating in limbo, and now, LTE service several months away, I'm frustrated, but also still cautiously optimistic.

I would hate for them to release a smartphone or a full service that was buggy and useless before making sure it was fully 'baked'. Perhaps they have our best interests at heart (or at least as it affects their ultimate bottom-line) and we should try to be patient. What do you guys think? Should we give them the benefit of the doubt?

Source: ZDNet

Last edited:

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think it's almost a certainty that LTE will be buggy on its first release. QA is one thing, real world use is another. But Verizon has time to work out issues and they will. I'm not planning on jumping on the LTE bandwagon anytime soon though...

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok... all fine and well, so just release some new 3G phones for those of us waiting :)

I don't have LTE around here anyway so it's a moot point for me.

georgek

Reaction score
Does this mean the Thunderbolt isn't coming out any soon?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

corymcnutt

Reaction score
What choice do we have. I would rather have a later release date than receive a device that doesn't play nice with LTE. My NE2 isn't up until the end of June, so hopefully I will be in good shape.

ryan18

Reaction score
can the damn phone just please come out now please
been waiting far too long for this
i wake up everyday, thinking it will be the day... but it never is. :icon_evil:

nyeshia0431

Reaction score
Its means the Bionic and the Thunderbolt are coming out at the same time lol

sidsixseven

Reaction score
I think the frustrating thing here is that the only real Android options at the moment for Verizon are the Droid X and Incredible. Both of which are inferior to Android phones on EVERY OTHER CARRIER.

The whole 4g/LTE discussion aside, the Insprire, EVO, Desire, Atrix are all better phones than anything that Verizon offers today.

As someone else pointed out above, how about at least releasing a better phone -- even if it's only 3g. I think we can all wrap our heads around LTE not being technically ready, but not having a better phone is approaching unforgivable.

ngsm13

Reaction score
I think the frustrating thing here is that the only real Android options at the moment for Verizon are the Droid X and Incredible. Both of which are inferior to Android phones on EVERY OTHER CARRIER.

The whole 4g/LTE discussion aside, the Insprire, EVO, Desire, Atrix are all better phones than anything that Verizon offers today.

As someone else pointed out above, how about at least releasing a better phone -- even if it's only 3g. I think we can all wrap our heads around LTE not being technically ready, but not having a better phone is approaching unforgivable.

Only superior phone listed is Atrix.

Last edited by a moderator:

EgooEspada

Reaction score
Does this mean the Thunderbolt isn't coming out any soon?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

If VZW is smart, yes...

Sent from my Droid

Verizon is in a touch situation. They were smart enough to try and launch the Thunderbolt in February before all the 'super phones' came along but sadly the tech wouldn't allow it. So they either release it and deal with tons of bugs and in return, cause some pretty bad reviews and sells. Or they wait till it's truly ready and potentially lose sales due to lack of 4G phones after so long and having to go up against other phones.

I'm sure they'll figure it out one way or another. Till the second batch of dual core 4G phones come, I'll enjoy the Incredible 2. ;)

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
I really believe it is more a money issue than anything. They do not want to release the TB until they have their new Tier Pricing plan in place. This way they do not loose money on the data that the TB will be using. I had a funny feeling when I saw that VZW was going to the tier pricing by summer that the TB would be delayed so that it would launch at the same time. I am sooooo done with VZW and their games. They are not being honest or forthcoming.

bassmankc

Reaction score
ok it's a LTE issue? update the software to turn off 4G and release the phone, when LTE is ready release an update, the XOOM will be 4G after you send it back in to recieve the radio, I think that would be fine with most people and we wouldn't have to settle for very outdated equipment until they figure out "the network"