verdict on d4

tch1981

Reaction score
I am looking to upgrade in august and want to know what everyone thinks of the d4 so far.

cbalde04

Reaction score
I am looking to upgrade in august and want to know what everyone thinks of the d4 so far.
I havent heard anything bad, and have no complaints really. One of the best that are available.
I highly recomend trying to upgrade earlier than late though if you have unlimited data right now. Verizon is doing away with grandfathered contracts, but they wont modify your contract for the life of the contract (2 years). If you renew after it takes affect, your stuck with a teired ( & expensive) data contract.

Cegal

Reaction score
Not too much to complain about...other than a small battery life if you frequently use it through out the day. But there are tricks around that, do a little research in this forum and you should come across the ways people are dealing. But other than that, A++ phone. And like it was fore mentioned, make sure you hop onto the unlimited band wagon while it's here...couldn't deal on a tiered plan personally.

Benton

Reaction score
Although the D4 was released a few months ago, it is still a top tier device with no obsolescence. We are told by Moto that there is an ICS release coming and its radios (CDMA and LTE) work rock solid. The D4 has a sleeping tiger (GSM functionality) however it is not yet enabled via firmware so there could even be another surprise in global capability upcoming. Mirroring what others are saying, with last week's announcement from VZW that a new data plan will be a mandatory replacement to the unlimited legacy plan when upgrading to a subsidized device (without paying list price for a phone), it is well worth and early upgrade to maintain unlimited.

podspi

Reaction score
I really enjoy the D4. My biggest complaint is battery life, but idle battery life is very good. I can easily get ~ 2 days off the battery if I don't touch the phone (which is good compared to the D1). Once you start using the phone, battery life goes way down.

Heavy use (using location aware apps that are not navigation, and lots of 4G data) I get around 8hrs (!)
Normal (for me) use I get around 22hrs.

Right now my battery is at 82%, 5 hours 11 minutes off the charger and 15 minutes of screen on time.

crabsalt

Reaction score
I really enjoy the D4. My biggest complaint is battery life, but idle battery life is very good. I can easily get ~ 2 days off the battery if I don't touch the phone (which is good compared to the D1). Once you start using the phone, battery life goes way down.

Heavy use (using location aware apps that are not navigation, and lots of 4G data) I get around 8hrs (!)
Normal (for me) use I get around 22hrs.

Right now my battery is at 82%, 5 hours 11 minutes off the charger and 15 minutes of screen on time.

My results are just about the same. I work in a huge, huge building and it spends some of the day looking for signals when I'm in the lower levels. If I don't charge it via my work computer at one point when I'm at my desk, its almost dead by the time I get home after an 8+lunch hour workday. Ridiculous. Or as Adam Carolla would say, recockulous. And I've even implemented a lot of the battery tips on this forum.

crabsalt

Reaction score
Alright, so not to be totally negative, I love everything else about it. My only other complaint has to do with Verizon. When I bought this phone, a week after it came out, we were told the next major Android upgrade would be by the end of Q1. That has come and went. Then this week was the exciting announcement that it would be a Q3 release. Except I wasn't excited, I was upset. But not surprised. I hate Big Red, maybe mostly because I hate myself for continually trusting them when similar actions by a human would have led to a divorce.

But as the phone itself goes, I love it minus the battery issue. GTA 3 is on sale for 99 cents this weekend - what other reason do you need???